Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metal Grip Question

Raider26

I'm pretty new to the forum, so hopefully this is in the correct area. I talked to SVI about their grip today. They have stopped producing metal grips in Stainless unless it is on a complete custom pistol, then they will use stainless. Their metal grips are 4140 material now. Is it safe to assume these grips will rust quickly and not have the same strength and longevity as a stainless grip. For that reason I'm considering Phoenix Trinity since they still offer a Stainless grip. I also hear PT is a one piece construction vs 2 piece that SVI uses. Are there any issues with the 2 piece grips breaking? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a CK metal grip in 4140 steel.  I had it black nitrided to avoid any issues with possible rust.  

I have felt the PT evo grip and if it was around when I got mine I would have gone with that.  I haven't had the opportunity to handle the svi grip but the 187 texture is appealing to me...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an svi signature grip months before the evo grip came out.  I do like the svi grip but i did not like the hours of hours that it took to install it right.  It was a week long process of filing and fitting.  The PT evo is plug and play you can use most magwells with it and the grip safety comes pined also it’s 200 bucks cheaper.  I would do the Pt for my next grip 100%.  

On 9/19/2017 at 11:32 PM, Raider26 said:

I'm pretty new to the forum, so hopefully this is in the correct area. I talked to SVI about their grip today. They have stopped producing metal grips in Stainless unless it is on a complete custom pistol, then they will use stainless. Their metal grips are 4140 material now. Is it safe to assume these grips will rust quickly and not have the same strength and longevity as a stainless grip. For that reason I'm considering Phoenix Trinity since they still offer a Stainless grip. I also hear PT is a one piece construction vs 2 piece that SVI uses. Are there any issues with the 2 piece grips breaking? Any advice would be appreciated.

Rust quickly?  If not finished and raw, yes of course.

Same strength?  No issues, 4140 has excellent mechanical properties.  

Longevity?  Again, a unreasonable worry.

Two piece?  A very small issue, there are more things to go wrong such as hardware stripping or loosening.  This is just a cheaper method to produce metal grips.

Stainless steel is not stronger and does not magically last longer than carbon steel. Stainless steel does not machine as well as carbon steel and is more expensive. Stainless steels also gall. As long as the carbon steel is  properly finished it will be fine. Stainless steel isn't rust proof and neglect can cause issues. It just allows for a wider margin of error in keeping it serviced.

13 hours ago, Monkeynutz said:

So how about aluminum PT grips? What is everyone's  opinion on them? That is the route I am thinking about going.

Depends what you're shooting.  Aluminum grips really aren't recommended for Open guns.  Open is just too violent.  That being said, I do know a couple with high cycles on them with no problem.  Aluminum on Limited guns is good to go.

16 hours ago, Monkeynutz said:

So how about aluminum PT grips? What is everyone's  opinion on them? That is the route I am thinking about going.

I’ve had an aluminum aggressive textured PT grip on my open gun since August of 2014. Had it Type III hard coat anodized January of 2015. Has held up just fine. No issues at all. Just a little wear of the anodizing in the magwell area is all. Gun is a full size in 38SC with an average of approx. 6-8k/year. 

Edited by robb315

Well I am putting it on a limited, so sounds like I should be fine. Question for rob315, how has the aggressive texture healed up. I mean are the points still sharp.

Edited by Monkeynutz

15 hours ago, Monkeynutz said:

Well I am putting it on a limited, so sounds like I should be fine. Question for rob315, how has the aggressive texture healed up. I mean are the points still sharp.

They feel the same now as the day I put it on. No wear to the anodizing on the outside of the grip at all. 

19 hours ago, Monkeynutz said:

Did you have it colored anodized and hard anodized, or just hard clear anodized.?

Just had it Type 3 hard coat anodized,matte black. 

Edited by robb315

On 10/23/2017 at 6:24 PM, CCG said:

Stainless steel is not stronger and does not magically last longer than carbon steel. Stainless steel does not machine as well as carbon steel and is more expensive. Stainless steels also gall. As long as the carbon steel is  properly finished it will be fine. Stainless steel isn't rust proof and neglect can cause issues. It just allows for a wider margin of error in keeping it serviced.

Let's be fair, there are a lot of stainless steels in the right condition that have higher yield and ultimate tensile strengths than some of the common mild to medium carbon steel alloys.  Same goes for the machinability aspect.  So it's important to not generalize all stainless steels and all carbon steels.  

Having said that, I totally agree, stainless isn't magic, it's just another alloy.  Good carbon steel is more than adequate for a forever lasting grip, as is a good stainless.  

Let's be fair, there are a lot of stainless steels in the right condition that have higher yield and ultimate tensile strengths than some of the common mild to medium carbon steel alloys.  Same goes for the machinability aspect.  So it's important to not generalize all stainless steels and all carbon steels.  

Having said that, I totally agree, stainless isn't magic, it's just another alloy.  Good carbon steel is more than adequate for a forever lasting grip, as is a good stainless.  
The opposite case can be made for carbon steel as well..... Wasn't over generalizing, just trying to put the properties of the SS grip and the CS grip into perspective....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk