Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking To Get A Sti Limited Gun

ForrestB

Looking to buy a new STI Limited gun, Been looking at the a box stock Edge. Any other suggestions like, customs(Brazos, Dawson, etc.) Need some insight before the plunge. Thanks in advance for any help, Forrest :D

I bought a new Edge in October 2003, so I have some recommendations. Think about what you intend to do to the stock gun, and what that will cost. You may/will quickly find yourself over $2000. Both of the custom guns you mention are very nice, and there are others like Benny Hill, Dan Bedell, etc. to consider. You can also check with all of the custom builders and see what their build times are, that may be a factor for you. I personally have spent money upgrading my stock gun over time, and have more in it now, than if I had went custom to begin with. On the other hand, there are plenty of stock Edge guns out there. Most of the smiths you and I covered will also do a reliability and tune of the stock gun, and it may or may not need it. Do a search in the Limited gun technical, or the gunsmith section for a little information on the kinds of things you may encounter, and the parts you will want or need long term.

I just got an EDGE from http://www.brazoscustom.com/ with the intent of spending this summer working the bugs out of it and making it "race ready".

I added a fiber front sight, and SVI long flat trigger, but there were no bugs to work out.

The gun has been 100% reliable for about 5000 rounds. It's also very accurate.

This thing is pretty damned nice right out of the box.

I'm really happy with it.

It really depends on what your budget is. A stock factory STI Edge will most likely need some work done to it - trigger job and replace the rear sight.

I would agree with fomeister, see what the gunsmiths' lead times are and costs. You could wind up paying the same for a truly custom gun from a gunsmith than getting a factory gun and having work done to it.

Brazos and Dawson both sell "factory" Edge's (Brazos Pro SC Limited)with reliablity packages for just a little more $ and may have them in stock ready to ship.

Copied this from Brazos site:

Edge Plus Brazos Upgrades

STI Edge customized with the most desired options!

Retail $2,289.00

Brazos Price - $1,999.00

(includes F.E.T.)

We've raised the bar on the STI Edge by adding the Brazos Custom upgrades that are most often requested by shooters. This is a new, chrome-plated STI Edge with:

Lightning Rod MicroDot fiber optic front sight

Drilled and tapped mag release with a Cyclone mag button

Big Mouth magwell

Bob has installed and fitted all Brazos upgrades, and he has personally put the pistol through a Brazos Custom quality control check for fit, appearance, and tolerances. After it is chromed, Bob performs any final repolishing and retuning that may be necessary, and he test fires the pistol for function and reliability. When you purchase a pistol from Brazos Custom, you can be assured of quality. You’ll get STI engineering backed by Brazos Custom service.

Specifications

Caliber

.40 S&W

Frame

STI Patented Modular Steel, Long Wide

Slide

Unique w/ Front and Rear Serrations

Trigger

Long Curved

Barrel

STI fully supported, ramped bull barrel

Safeties

Stainless STI Grip and Ambi sided thumb

Guide Rod

STI RecoilMaster

Grip

STI Patented Modular Polymer with Aluminum Mag well

Brazos Upgrades

Lightning Rod MicroDot fiber optic front sight with STI Adjustable Rear

Drilled and tapped mag release with Cyclone mag button

Big Mouth Magwell

Overall Length

8-5/8”

Weight

39.0 oz.

Finish

Chrome

Magazine Comes with one 126mm magazine

Competition Approvals IPSC, USPSA

This from Dawson's site:

DP Practical Advantage 2011

On Sale

Limited time!

Now comes with DP hi cap magazine

Custom Built, one at a time.

$2199

Save over $400!

I know relatively little about these 1911/2011 single action guns. So here's a question from a DA/SA guy:

What is F.E.T. ?

Another question: Is the magazine release reversible on the modular grip of the S_I double stack guns?

Thanks

splashdown

F.E.T. = Federal Excise Tax ?

Stock mag release is not reversible, but there are a couple aftermarket left handed mag releases out there, like Jimmy Mitchell's.

I know relatively little about these 1911/2011 single action guns.  So here's a question from a DA/SA guy:

What is F.E.T. ?

Another question:  Is the magazine release reversible on the modular grip of the S_I double stack guns?

Thanks

splashdown

Are they IDPA legal? I thought some of the STI's were?

Also, (some what of a thread drift, sorry) but can you get an Edge with 10rd mags? Basically are they legal in California?

My wife is looking at this route but we are limited... (limited 10) that is. :wacko:

Ira

Forest,

My personal experience with STI factory guns has been good and bad.

I have had 3 - Edge, Eagle & Competitor.

I bought the Edge from a dealer and it was 100% out of the box.

So my next one was an Eagle, from same dealer. It was a piece of crap.

So for the Competitor, I bought it from Dawson. Dave said that if I had gotten it from STI, I would not have been happy. But when he got done looking it over, it ran 100%.

For my next gun, I'll buy a custom gun from either Brazos or Benny Hill. I have learned that the extra couple dollars are worth it.

Benny Hill can build you anything that will run and run and run....did I say RUN? Very accurate and his support is par excellent. Gives you the straight scoop on components used and why he uses them. Gives you load specifications for his guns and great advice on how to shoot. If you want to be involved in the actual hands on build you can take a trip down to Texas and shoot a match with him too. Can't say enough about how pleased I have been. Check out www.triangleshootingsports.com

I think there is a significant between the Brazos Pro SC and the tuned Edge Bob offers. I have a factory Edge and a Brazos gun. The factory gun was pretty reliable with the occasional mystery malf, seemed cursed in that I broke a lot of parts on that gun. The Brazos...well, what can I say...it runs, it is accurate, not too ugly. I've got my open gun on order right now.

I got lucky and got a Benny Hill custom off the USPSA classifieds super-cheap. There's usually some bargains on there that include mags. Otherwise, get a new custom pistol. Factory S_I's seem to be a crapshoot on the best of days.

I would personally recommend a Bedell Custom Spitfire. This gun is the fastest and most reliable gun out on the market. Built with the best parts out there. My dad shoots a Spitfire and it has never jammed ONCE except for a bad round I loaded bad (lol, no reloading on the phone with girls anymore...).

This gun is the fastest and most reliable gun out on the market.

Well, let's not go crazy. Kodiak, EGW, Triangle, Brazos, McClearn, Bedell, Dawson, Hardy, etc. all put out good stuff. Even if you have a couple of each and have extensive trigger time on all of them, all you can say is, "This is what I liked best, or what worked for me." Let's not get too carried away with the hyperbole and say that that one smith or one gun is the be all and end all. :blink:

depending on where your at as a shooter, you may not want the long/heavy bull barreled gun...

I think if the glock someday dies or wears out or whatever the gun that would replace it would A short, wide dustcover gun with steel guide rod, bushing barrel and the dawson heavy Ice magwell(to get the balance right)

Those long dustcover guns feel too nose heavy....and the guys who use a bull barrel, long heavy dustcover and tungsten guide rods are crazy..

right now ill pay the price with a little more recoil to get a faster transitioning gun

I bought a new Edge from Shooter's Connection about 4 months ago. It came with a Dawson F.O. front sight and an extended mag release. I think it was $1650, and it came with a Tournament Series range bag. It has been almost flawless out of the box. In the first 500 rounds, I had two rounds that I had to nudge the slide closed... it's been perfect since then. The trigger is more than adequate out of the box, and the slide/frame fit is better than I would have dreamed on a production gun. Maybe I got lucky, but I am very, very happy with my edge!

GEt a gun that runs and practice, practice, practice and practice. My factory SV has been reliable. TRy the long heavy dust cover vs. the short dust cover and compare, What may work for somebody may not work for you. I like a heavy gun but that just me. I am not worried about transition times since a am just a class A. You could always lighten a heavy gun.

I agree with Harmon. Brazos is building a short dust cover, lightened slide, bushing barreled gun for me as I type. I used a heavy gun for a few years, lightening it up as my ability progressed. I couldn't lighten it up anymore, so Bob got the job. Can hardly wait to get it.