Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Tanfoglio and USPSA

Kamkaze

New as in first Tanfo and have never shot a USPSA match.  I got one of the new Stock 1's imported by IFG-NA and I will be shooting it in IDPA SSP which I am somewhat familiar with but I will also be starting up USPSA in the Production class with my 9 year old here at local matches.  I have sent the pistol off to Patriot Defense to get it tuned up within the rules of SSP and Production.  I am just looking for gear recommendations for gear, as well as modifications y'all might recommend for USPSA production.  I am having PD do their optimized tuning package, BOLO, Titan hammer, xtreme sear, and that is all I can remember off the top of my head.  thanks in advance.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can shoot your IDPA gear in USPSA, you just need about 5 magazines and four magazine carriers. After a few matches you can decide if USPSA is worth buying any gear specific for that game. The two layer belt and drop offset holster are nice, but you can't use them in IDPA. Not bashing on IDPA, but after one USPSA match, I was a convert.

Production division really isn't a gear race. Sounds like you'll have a great gun. Beyond making your hits, the big thing is to learn stage planning which is a lot different than IDPA

Unless it's on the production list, you're not technically going to be able to shoot it at any major matches. Local level I matches probably won't care.

I personally prefer the ghost stinger(now thunder) holster, but a bladetech with a boss hanger setup is what is most commonly out there. Belt and mag pouches are shooter preference.

5 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

You can shoot your IDPA gear in USPSA, you just need about 5 magazines and four magazine carriers. After a few matches you can decide if USPSA is worth buying any gear specific for that game. The two layer belt and drop offset holster are nice, but you can't use them in IDPA. Not bashing on IDPA, but after one USPSA match, I was a convert.

Production division really isn't a gear race. Sounds like you'll have a great gun. Beyond making your hits, the big thing is to learn stage planning which is a lot different than IDPA

I appreciate the input, I'm going to go ahead and get gear for both, worse case is I can sell it right lol.  I have a few local guys that are pretty good that are going to help with the stage planning etc.

8 minutes ago, haiedras said:

Unless it's on the production list, you're not technically going to be able to shoot it at any major matches. Local level I matches probably won't care.

I personally prefer the ghost stinger(now thunder) holster, but a bladetech with a boss hanger setup is what is most commonly out there. Belt and mag pouches are shooter preference.

I didn't confirm but according to a video on youtube talking to the Tanfoglio guys it is Legal, but I am not worried about major matches yet.  I borrowed the bladetech on a boss for a stock 3 from a buddy and it hung pretty bad for me, so I might look into the ghost

2 hours ago, Kamkaze said:

New as in first Tanfo and have never shot a USPSA match.  I got one of the new Stock 1's imported by IFG-NA and I will be shooting it in IDPA SSP which I am somewhat familiar with but I will also be starting up USPSA in the Production class with my 9 year old here at local matches.  I have sent the pistol off to Patriot Defense to get it tuned up within the rules of SSP and Production.  I am just looking for gear recommendations for gear, as well as modifications y'all might recommend for USPSA production.  I am having PD do their optimized tuning package, BOLO, Titan hammer, xtreme sear, and that is all I can remember off the top of my head.  thanks in advance.

go to ben stoeger pro shop 

and get this: 

BSPS BOSS DOH Holster, 5 x Ghost Magazine Pouches & Double Alpha Academy (DAA) Belt Deal!

http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss-doh-holster-5-x-ghost-magazine-pouches-double-alpha-academy-daa-belt-deal/

get the blade tech but if you want more bling go with a double layer RHT red hill tactical holster 

DAA belt, DAA racer pouches, Ghost Thunder on a BOSS hanger.  

you'll have to modify the ghost holster to mount on the boss hanger. Unless that's recently changed, the mounting holes are completely different on the ghost holster body than the y-mount holes on the boss hanger.

I didn't confirm but according to a video on youtube talking to the Tanfoglio guys it is Legal, but I am not worried about major matches yet.  I borrowed the bladetech on a boss for a stock 3 from a buddy and it hung pretty bad for me, so I might look into the ghost

Cool. I tried the bladetech and just couldn't get over how loose it was. I found the ghost to be snug enough to move around in, but loose enough for a fast draw.

7 hours ago, haiedras said:

you'll have to modify the ghost holster to mount on the boss hanger. Unless that's recently changed, the mounting holes are completely different on the ghost holster body than the y-mount holes on the boss hanger.

BOSS hangers are patterned for the hole pattern of the Blade Tech TekLok.

22 hours ago, haiedras said:

Yup, didn't know that...  The Ghost Thunder holster is nice but the hanger assembly doesn't look very durable with locking and maintaining the adjustments, the BOSS would have fixed that.

1 hour ago, srrch said:

Fyi if you change the hammer on your Stock 1 you will have to shoot ESP in IDPA instead of SSP.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Even if it is a factory part?  It was my understanding that factory parts allowed in SSP.  Like putting the extended mag release or slide stop off a glock 34 onto a 17 or 19 doesn't make you go to esp.  (I come from the glock world.). Thank you for the info I will definitely look more into it.

1 hour ago, srrch said:

Fyi if you change the hammer on your Stock 1 you will have to shoot ESP in IDPA instead of SSP.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Kamkaze said:

Even if it is a factory part?  It was my understanding that factory parts allowed in SSP.  

1. Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements 

The issue here is SSP legality. The only gun you can "rob" a Titan hammer off of is the Stock 3 Extreme, and it's impossible to make a Stock 3 light enough to compete in IDPA at all. Soooo the hammer you want to install isn't technically legal, and installing a Titan hammer will move you into ESP.

If they had made a Limited Pro Xtreme that came with a Titan, it would be fine. They didn't. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

11 hours ago, CarlB86 said:

Just run Limited 10 until it is on the approved production list. Also won't hurt to email IFG to make sure they submit paperwork to DNROI when 2k make it into the country.

According to Tanfoglio it's already Production legal, I don't know the ins and outs of all that but I will let IFG know.

On 9/13/2017 at 7:21 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

1. Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements 

The issue here is SSP legality. The only gun you can "rob" a Titan hammer off of is the Stock 3 Extreme, and it's impossible to make a Stock 3 light enough to compete in IDPA at all. Soooo the hammer you want to install isn't technically legal, and installing a Titan hammer will move you into ESP.

If they had made a Limited Pro Xtreme that came with a Titan, it would be fine. They didn't. 

I was talking with Joe at PD and he thought there was a gun from Tanfoglio I don't remember the model, that is legal for SSP that has the Titan, it's just not imported to the US.  Again going off my MD opinion it doesn't have to be imported to the US to be legal since IDPA is an international organization, he is of the opinion that if it's a pistol that is legal at IDPA Worlds and comes with the Titan hammer it doesn't matter if it's imported to the US.  Also I read somewhere that there is a pistol in the Tanfoglio catalog for this year that is SSP legal and has the Titan hammer.  I want to reiterate I'm not arguing I'm just repeating what I've been reading hearing, so I can learn and hopefully get some more discussion on what I've been reading/hearing in regards to the Titan hammer.

Edited by Kamkaze

We had the discussion on the Titan hammer being SSP legal a few months back and we came to the conclusion that it was. The stock 3 xtreme in 45 acp comes with the titan in the 2017 Tanfoglio catalog. By installing wooden grips, lightweight guide rod and factory base pads it would be under 43 oz making it SSP legal. Could also shoot it in ESP or CDP if you wanted to. 

See thread here:

On 9/12/2017 at 9:08 PM, Kamkaze said:

Question on grips, the PD grips wouldn't be legal in production correct?

They are legal in USPSA Production and IDPA SSP

production rule:

Appendix D4 21.4 Grips

For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip
sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they
do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Revolver grips may be replaced with OFM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.
Special Notes/Clarifications:

See 22.2, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips. 

SSP rule:

8.2.1.2.B 

Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration and do not weigh more

than 2.00 oz. more than the factory standard weight for that model. 

2 minutes ago, JordanGriffith said:

Get a RHT holster! They're the best made custom holster for the Tanfo's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 

I'm very happy with mine for my limited pro, will soon be ordering one for the stock 3. 

Well worth the wait!