Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock III yearly maintenance/replacement list.

CarlB86

My S3 is approaching one year old and I'd estimate the round count in the 12k range, as I do about 1k rounds per month. Dry fire I do some DA pulls, but often the gun is out of battery to simulate SA pull. No hammer drops.

This was my initial thought on maintenance. Anything I should be doing?

-New recoil spring

-New extractor spring (extra power)

-New hammer spring

-New firing pin spring

-New firing pin block spring

I didn't really imagine and hard parts need replacement, but would the firing pin retainer need to be done preventatively?

Edited by CarlB86

In December I plan to strip both guns down, sonic clean everything, another round of polishing & replace all of the springs.

It sounds like you've got it all covered. I wouldn't replace the FP retainer unless it's chewed up.

5 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

In December I plan to strip both guns down, sonic clean everything, another round of polishing & replace all of the springs.

It sounds like you've got it all covered. I wouldn't replace the FP retainer unless it's chewed up.

hey SC,

when you say sonic clean do you send it out to have it done or you have a machine to do it at home? what do you use if you don't mind me asking. i would like to know if this sonic cleaner is the same thing im seeing on youtube for brass cleaning as well...btw thanks in advance.

I'm going to get a small unit just large enough to handle the frame or slide. Probably an el cheapo from eBay or amazon. Essentially it's an oversize jewelry cleaner.

Just strip it all down, toss in with some degreaser and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add sear spring and trigger return spring. That will return it to "new" and be ready for another year.

Inspect close.  polish up places that look rough or have sliding / rotation wear marks.

Hard parts should be fine.

4 minutes ago, CarlB86 said:

Buying a new gun is easier than replacing the return spring, right? I've never removed my trigger pin, but guess I'll learn!

Na it's pretty easy with using a q-tip as a slave pin. I actually got it in the first time, first try ever.

For a trigger return slave pin, I cut down a small Allen wrench that came with one of the front sights. Cajun Gun Works also includes a tiny roll pin to use as a slave pin with their return springs.

I used to use a q tip, but those can deform and cause trouble. 

Edited by Twinkie

9 hours ago, Twinkie said:

For a trigger return slave pin, I cut down a small Allen wrench that came with one of the front sights. Cajun Gun Works also includes a tiny roll pin to use as a slave pin with their return springs.

I used to use a q tip, but those can deform and cause trouble. 

10 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Na it's pretty easy with using a q-tip as a slave pin. I actually got it in the first time, first try ever.

10 hours ago, CarlB86 said:

Buying a new gun is easier than replacing the return spring, right? I've never removed my trigger pin, but guess I'll learn!

Tip of the day - If you have a BOLO the pin works perfectly as a slave pin for holding the TRS into place and installing the trigger pin back in the frame.....

Tip of the day - If you have a BOLO the pin works perfectly as a slave pin for holding the TRS into place and installing the trigger pin back in the frame.....

Yeah, but not all of us have BOLO's [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/15/2017 at 6:03 PM, PatriotDefense said:

This is what I beleive I showed in the videos, but a section of Q-tip is what I used before you mentioned it.

Between that and the canik pin, trigger springs are easy.

On 9/15/2017 at 7:03 PM, PatriotDefense said:

Great tip.

Bad tips from a couple days back. Slave pin too small in diameter will let the trs go and make you crazy. Bigger slave pin that fits perfect in the trigger will be too big to exit through frame, and make you crazy till you figure that out. 

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Great tip.

Bad tips from a couple days back. Slave pin too small in diameter will let the trs go and make you crazy. Bigger slave pin that fits perfect in the trigger will be too big to exit through frame, and make you crazy till you figure that out. 

That is a benefit to using a "disposble" slave pin (I use a plastic one cut off the end of a plastic cleaning swab), it will not damage anything if it gets jammed up or cocked sideways while driving it out.  I've been using the same one for months, dozens of times, works great.  I made a sear spring slave out of the same plastic, although that doesn't get used as often.