Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz open, checkmate or 9mm TS build

Superpipe9

DJ, it is because of the shape of the chambers.  I went with plated or jacketed, because I HATE cleaning lead out of a comp.  However, that wouldn't stop me from shooting lead if that was all I had.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:34 PM, kneelingatlas said:

21014113_1802496816431909_5685231365559485081_o.thumb.jpg.98d9a41c32dc29e2d0364158e516935d.jpg

At 42oz, it's seven ounces lighter than my similarly equipped Czechmate (backup gun), and shoots significantly flatter.

If you want a CZ Open gun on the cheap I have a few 75 SA based guns you might be interested in.

Wow Atlas, that is nice work! I like the cuts in the grip, as it not only reduces weight, it also adds grip texture. The only thing that I would do, is switch to an RTS2 or DPP and reduce that weight even further by another 3-4 oz :) 

12 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I've been down that road and back, I just couldn't get used to the higher, smaller glass.

Yeah, there is no right or wrong way for mount and optics. It is whatever works for you. I looked at the side mount and unfortunately they do not work for me, otherwise, that is probably what I would be using as I also like my glass as close to the slide as possible. My thumb gets in the way of the mount when gripping it. It also eliminates the possibility to put my slide racker on the left side of my Czechmate (where it should be), which I do not like.

Edited by abb1

9 minutes ago, abb1 said:

It also eliminates the possibility to put my slide racker on the left side of my Czechmate (where it should be), which I do not like.

Agreed, there's a particular spot right behind the extractor pin where you have to cut the dovetail to make it all work.

The funny thing is I switch back and forth between my TS and CM and don't even notice the difference

597ae9b9032e3_TSCM.thumb.jpg.71e9a49a5cd04b74c2201a2292211b54.jpg

Agreed, there's a particular spot right behind the extractor pin where you have to cut the dovetail to make it all work.

The funny thing is I switch back and forth between my TS and CM and don't even notice the difference

Atlas how does the comp on your new build rate verses the factory Czechmate comp? I have been contemplating either milling some side slots on the last two chambers of my Czechmate comp or milling out the last two chambers into one large chamber similar to the new comp you are using on the new gun. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, MrPostman said:

Atlas how does the comp on your new build rate verses the factory Czechmate comp? I have been contemplating either milling some side slots on the last two chambers of my Czechmate comp or milling out the last two chambers into one large chamber similar to the new comp you are using on the new gun. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The TS build definitely shoots flatter than the Czechmate, but there are so many differences it's like comparing apples and oranges.  It's much lighter, has a lighter slide, better comp and is stroked by 0.400".  When it comes to modifying the CM comp, Greg T did these mods:

COMPCUTS01.jpg.21336bf22688a1126b5d2a340

and this is what he said about it on Facebook earlier this month:  "Do not do it --- it will indeed screw up the recoil characteristics."

I too thought the side ports I cut in the last port made it worse

11034435_1012111642137101_824500493257299554_o.thumb.jpg.7712ea53d6a4391152c6fe1bf496424c.jpg

the only mod I can recommend is trimming back the barrel and lengthening the first port like this:

IMG_20150126_084445304.thumb.jpg.154cd8bfa843e0162cf21c679d07f4fb.jpg

15 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

45 minutes ago, yigal said:

perfect   workmanship .

how yours design  prevent  rotation of comp. with standard  slide? (or u used 1911 system  and  the comp is secured steady to barrel?)

in cm. they chop slide to allow guide rod do this.

The comp is fixed to the barrel and the slide/barrel are modified to allow the barrel/comp to be removed through the front of the slide like a 1911.

5 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

The comp is fixed to the barrel and the slide/barrel are modified to allow the barrel/comp to be removed through the front of the slide like a 1911.

like this . its like tan. with bull barrel.  on earlier cz75  i use to fix the comp. with screw 10-32 to flat surface behind the thread.

i will appreciate if u can make pic. of the barrel from the chamber to sea the 45 deg . chamfer u done.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought my first TS in 2012 (because I was too intimidated to shoot my first USPSA match with a Czechmate) and within six months it looked like this:

21056113_1803628006318790_8240167560450930387_o.thumb.jpg.a89f50372494e359e6f3ffed1ada109f.jpg

Although it was pretty heavy (54oz w/o mag) it shot pretty soft and somewhat flat.  This was a pretty simple and cheap project, but five years and dozens of guns later it's the best Open gun I've ever shot!

21014113_1802496816431909_5685231365559485081_o.thumb.jpg.98d9a41c32dc29e2d0364158e516935d.jpg

At 42oz, it's seven ounces lighter than my similarly equipped Czechmate (backup gun), and shoots significantly flatter.

If you want a CZ Open gun on the cheap I have a few 75 SA based guns you might be interested in.

Hi, I happen to found this post of yours and I am very interested if I may get some guidance from you in adding a comp to a TS.

I actually have a TSO in .40S&W. I want to convert it to 9mm with a comp like in your picture. I understand I need to buy a SP01 slide and a TS barrel plus additional work. Could you give me more details on what I’ll need to do? Will I still be able to use the original slide and barrel to shoot .40?

Thanks!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

If a guy already had a 9mm Tactical Sport Orange:

• Installed a red dot frame mount for an RTS2
  • Had a gunsmith fit a threaded barrel(not sure where to get this) and comp
  • Get some higher capacity mags
  • Load up a 9mm major load

Would this make a reasonable open gun?

Sorry, I didn't notice that was a year old thread:D

Edited by BadShot

2 minutes ago, BadShot said:

If a guy already had a 9mm Tactical Sport Orange:

• Installed a red dot frame mount for an RTS2
  • Had a gunsmith fit a threaded barrel(not sure where to get this) and comp
  • Get some higher capacity mags
  • Load up a 9mm major load

Would this make a reasonable open gun?

CZCustom just came out with a threaded 9mm barrel.  Optic and mount plus figure out a comp for the 1/2-28 thread.  That will get you there.  About $800 in addition to the gun to get to open.  Little cheaper if you go with a C'more rather than the RTS2.  Optic mount, barrel and comp will remain the same.

The TS and CM frames are essentially the same.  The length and cut/geometry of the dust cover is visually the only difference.  So I'd say yes, no reason a TSO frame could not shoot 9mm major. 

The CMs were known to break barrel lugs early on, I'd say that  would be the weak point if the threaded CZC barrel for some reason did not have the improved lug design.  I haven't seen one of the new threaded 9mm barrels so can only assume that CZC would be using the latest design.

I’ve shot my TSO in open major without a comp using 124 Gr FMJ RN with 6.51 Gr of CFE Pistol @ 1.150-1.155 OAL. I just have to install the stock 16# spring to prevent the slide from getting beat up.  Recoil is too much though so I got a czechmate afterwards.

So far, no broken parts yet.

I also cut, drilled and tapped the mag release to install the shadow 2 mag release pad. CZC multioptic mount with trijicon and Advance Ratio thumbrest.

AB82-B8-FD-1-BC9-4849-AE05-3-CFEDF7-ACE3

6-E921516-A537-4-C9-A-8-C70-3-C3-B5665-B

• 4 weeks later...

Alright CZ Gurus , can anyone tell me what's involved in a TSO to checkmate conversion? Bad idea? I can already see the dust cover to be chopped but what else am I missing ? If I had them both in front of me I could get an idea but I don't have that luxury. I can pick up a TSO pretty cheap but not sure about a barrel and comp . ..  I have access to a machine shop , fitting barrels etc isn't a problem for me 

Edited by Benchblock

21 hours ago, Benchblock said:

Alright CZ Gurus , can anyone tell me what's involved in a TSO to checkmate conversion? Bad idea? I can already see the dust cover to be chopped but what else am I missing ? If I had them both in front of me I could get an idea but I don't have that luxury. I can pick up a TSO pretty cheap but not sure about a barrel and comp . ..  I have access to a machine shop , fitting barrels etc isn't a problem for me 

check out this thread: