Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Press suggestions

I have a Rock Chucker I use for my rifles and a Lee Pro 1000 :unsure: that I despise. I'm wanting to upgrade to either  a 550 or 650. I don't shoot that much anymore, been busy lately but hoping that changes this winter. Even then it won't be a combined 1k a month.  Will I see a big increase in round count with the 650 and a case feeder over the 550 without the feeder? It'll be used for 9mm, 45acp, 357mag, 223 and 300 blackout.  Also I was looking at the different shell plates and conversion kits that Dillon offers with the powder measures and everything combined. Will I need a different shell plate between 223 and 300 bo? I noticed they have a different part # but they use the same case pretty much. The presses seem reasonably priced but once you start adding everything up it gets spends. How much more convenient is it to have the tool heads set up with the powder measures already on them vs swapping back and forth?

I only reload pistol calibers (38 special, 9mm, .40, and .45acp). I prefer the manual indexing on the 550. My load rates are a casual 75 min to load up 500 rounds. I've been loading on it since about 1993. The rest of my shooting buddies all have the 650 and swear by it. If I were buying a press today I would consider the 650, but would start without the case feeder. Too noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 650 without a case feeder is like buying a corvette with a 6 cylinder. I have 2 650's with case and bullet feeders and I can't even begin to imagine using one without a case feeder. For this reason is why I have not used my 550 in years. 

I started with a 650, so can't comment on the value/features of the 550 vs 650.  If you decide on the 650, add the case feeder once you get familiar with the operation/sequence of the machine.

Regarding the shell plate and conversion kits, use this tool to see which parts are different between the 300 and 223.

Regarding tool heads/powder measure, I only reload pistol calibers and have a tool head and powder measure dedicated for each caliber.  This will cost you ~$112 (for the tool head, powder dispenser and tool head stand) minus the shell dies and powder funnel, however it's very quick/easy to change calibers.  Takes me about 5 minutes to change calibers with this setup and since I don't need to adjust the powder charge or die settings, I drop 3 separate 10-throw charges to verify powder charge, run 5 rounds through the press and measure/gauge each, then I"m off and running.

Having said all of  that, the Dillon setup isn't the cheapest around.  The 650 setup for 1 caliber with recommended  accessories  is going to set you back close to $800.  However these babies hold their value.  If you decide to sell your press in a year or 5, you'll get 80% or more of your original investment back.

I reload 9mm, .40 and .45  I started out on my 550 no case feeder or anything and I chug along smoothly cranking out quality rounds.   You can use a case feeder on the 550, the newer ones.  Honestly, once you get your system down, you almost operate like a  machine, you seat the primer, move the plate while at the same time grabbing a piece of brass and you already have the bullet to set on top of the case charged with powder once you look inside of it.   The 550 exceeded my expectations especially once I got it set up and got my system down, I can crank out some rounds.

The extra heads are nice so you can swap calibers quickly. 

Sounds like the 550 would do everything you want it to. In my opinion, the toolhead setup with the powder measure is nice but not necessary in most applications except where going pistol to rifle would require the extra setup. You can change the powder throw easy enough on pistol that if you are only swapping once in awhile, it's not an absolute necessity, luxury maybe, but not necessary.

I still run my old 550 from 1986 and see no reason to change, even at around 1,500 rounds a month. My kid has a 1050 with mr bullet feeder, and it runs really fast until it hits a 38Super, or stepped 9, then it stops. 

reloaders.jpg

I load 9 different bullets right now. I am a 550 fan boy just for the fact caliber swaps are low cost and fast. The only thing better than a 550 is two 550s, one for each primer size.

P.S. the rock chucked is something you keep forever, I have one and even with the 550, it still get plenty of use.

20 minutes ago, rustybayonet said:

I load 9 different bullets right now. I am a 550 fan boy just for the fact caliber swaps are low cost and fast. The only thing better than a 550 is two 550s, one for each primer size.

P.S. the rock chucked is something you keep forever, I have one and even with the 550, it still get plenty of use.

Totally agree with Rusty. 550 is the most versatile machine for the cost. I also use the Mini Mr. bullet feeder for 9/38 and this addition alone let's me comfortably and safely load 400/hr without breaking a sweat. Can't go wrong with a 550.

3 hours ago, 9x45 said:

I still run my old 550 from 1986 and see no reason to change, even at around 1,500 rounds a month. ...

There's an SDB in the photo. What do you do with that?

(I just load 357 and 45 on mine, maybe 9mm sometimes)

I started with the 550, excellent machine to learn with and easy changeovers but I wanted more. Upgraded to a 650 with the case feeder and Mr Bullet feeder and am very happy with the setup, I don't have a lot of time to spend reloading so producing  ~900 in an hour works for me.

For the number of calibers and total estimated round count you stated, I believe the 550 is the obvious choice. It's certainly the most economical and it is a fantastic press. As for the .223 and 300 bo, they use the same shell plate. A fair amount of folks trim their 223 cases to make the 300. Best of luck!

I know you know this, but the Dillon is going to work WAY better than the Lee.  I started with a Lee press and now have a 550 and a 650.

I would make a list of everything you need.  I registered on the Dillon page to make a wish list.  Add everything you want/need to the wish list with the 650.  If you can swing it, get it.  If you get sticker shock do the same thing for the 550.

I think the 550 will work awesome for you but if the cost of the 650 is no problem I would get that.  I have both and I don't think change over is that bad.  If I had a 650 and I were loading those caliber I would get a 2nd primer assembly.  They were about $88 last time I looked.  2 bolts and you switched from large to small primer.

I figured the Dillon would work way way better than the Lee. I'll do the wishlist thing tonight. I kinda played around with it last night. Looked like the 650 with everything I thought I'd need, case loader but no bullet loader was around 1800. 550 without case or bullet loader was 1300. 

38 minutes ago, rickdavis said:

I figured the Dillon would work way way better than the Lee. I'll do the wishlist thing tonight. I kinda played around with it last night. Looked like the 650 with everything I thought I'd need, case loader but no bullet loader was around 1800. 550 without case or bullet loader was 1300. 

The case feeder is a must.  I first borrowed a 650 without one.  Every single person on this thread has indicated that.  So your at 2k, not bad...

7 hours ago, perttime said:

There's an SDB in the photo. What do you do with that?

(I just load 357 and 45 on mine, maybe 9mm sometimes)

I got the SD on the right as match product back in 2001. Both are set up for 9mm right now, although I load 357SIG on the 550 and also .223REM

• 2 weeks later...