Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting 9mm TacSport to .40

NoKimberDave

Searched but failed to find anything, my apologies because I know I have seen info before on Eno's.

Thinking of Limited Major. Want a gun but really like my TSO and wonder if caliber change is worth it? Or, just buy a TS in .40?

Was looking at complete slides at CZC, too.

Anybody do it? What is required for parts and fitting? Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Edited by NoKimberDave

1 hour ago, NoKimberDave said:

Searched but failed to find anything, my apologies because I know I have seen info before on Eno's.

Thinking of Limited Major. Want a gun but really like my TSO and wonder if caliber change is worth it? Or, just buy a TS in .40?

Was looking at complete slides at CZC, too.

Anybody do it? What is required for parts and fitting? Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

So if I understand your situation: you have a TSO 9mm and want to shoot .40.  You will need a complete .40 top end and .40 mags.  It's possible to shoot 9mm with a .40 slide, but not the other way.

CZC sells complete top ends, contact Stuart Wong.  They come oversized, so custom fitting is necessary; I've done it, the results were fantastic, but it was a ton of work.  If I did it again I'd pay CZC to do the fitting.

8 hours ago, bigdave24 said:

Would it really involve more than lapping the slide to fit a different upper?

Sometimes it works without fitting, sometimes it does not. Usually all that is involved is fitting the rails to the frame and making sure that the slide clears the sear cage.

So, it seems a complete slide assembly is the way to go.

CZC sells them at $657.00, but has nice sights and guide rod it appears. I imagine fitting would be $100 or more.

Add 3 mags and I am only 100-200 shy of a new Tanfo Limited or Tacsport.

Looks like Cheby hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for all the info y'all!

Some TS mags are labeled 9mm/40 and work for both.  I have two friends with mags like that.  One of them has the original IPSC model, the other a TS.

When I bought my TS 40 from CZC, I asked Stuart about converting it to a 9mm.  He told me he did not think it worth it, and I would be better off just buying a new TS in 9mm.  At $600 for the upper, $150 to fit it, and $150 for three new mags, it made sense.  $900 to convert vs. $1200 (at the time) for a complete new one just seemed silly.

3 minutes ago, 858 said:

Sell the 9mm TSO and buy a new one in 40, then fit a spare 9mm barrel. 

works most of the time, but not all the time. sometimes weak extraction/ejection due to the breechface.

I have both 9mm and 40 mags and they aren't the same even though the rounds may fit. The 9mm mag loaded with 40 would not chamber completely and when I reduced the rounds loaded, it didn't drop freely either. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2017 at 7:40 AM, NoKimberDave said:

So, it seems a complete slide assembly is the way to go.

CZC sells them at $657.00, but has nice sights and guide rod it appears. I imagine fitting would be $100 or more.

Add 3 mags and I am only 100-200 shy of a new Tanfo Limited or Tacsport.

Looks like Cheby hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for all the info y'all!

i bought my slide and mags from czc, did not require any fitting.  it slid right onto my tso 9.  pm me if you're still looking.  

u can measure slide rails with micrometer,  and ask  the czc if they have slides with this dimensions.

most of tso rails  dimensions  that i checked have 22.28- 22.34 mm.

slide for .40 will work on ts 9mm frame but u need order .40 extractor and stronger extractor spring for this.

On 11/11/2017 at 12:34 AM, reballz said:

i bought my slide and mags from czc, did not require any fitting.  it slid right onto my tso 9.  pm me if you're still looking.  

Man, I saw this and it's exactly what I need.

But I am broke from buying AR crap. Dang AR market has fallen so low I can't help but throw money at it. It really derailed my plans of limited major for a bit.

I hoping beyond hope nobody buys it and you are forced to cut the price, and at the same time I get paid! Lol.

• 3 weeks later...