Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite 9mm Projectile and Load for G34 Gen 4?

frodo9mm

Would anyone share their most accurate projectile and load for a Glock 34 Gen 4, please.   

I just purchased one and am reloading Titlegroup and Berry's Copper Plated RN 147 gr.  for my other 9mm.

I am looking for projectiles and loads  that perform well at the longer distances of 25 yards in the G34.

The gun is new and I am putting Dawson Precision Adjustable sights on it .  Then, I plan to reload 2 or 3 diff loads and projectiles and shoot it from the bench to get an understanding of groups better and is is more consistant.  

Please advise OAL you found best.

Thank you,

Frodo9

Your going to get a lot of response on this one.  I run either a 124 precision delta or Montana gold Japan at 1.135 for the Pd, and 1.125 for the mg.  With 4.0 gr. N320, 4.0 titegroup, and my favorite 4.7 gr wsf.  Never cared too much for plated or coated bullets.  Too much screwing arround with them and the savings are not that much to justify the hassle.  

Great and Thx. I've been using Berry's copper plate for several years. Locally, there is not a lot of selection, so 124 precision delta or Montana gold Japan will be ones that I check out. 

I suspected sometime ago that the copper plating process may not produce as uniform a projectile as the jacketing process, but I am no expert.  I will check these out. 

Vihtavuori N320 is one of my favorite powders.

It's not Montana gold Japan, my tablet spelled that and I didn't check.  The name of the company is Montana Gold, and I use their 124 jhp.  There pricey about 360 bucks for a case of 3600.  The precision deltas are a little cheaper 89 bucks per k if you buy at least 2k.  There are a lot of good coated bullets, and shooters do get great accuracy from them.  In my gun which is a gen 3 34 I never did get any better accuracy than with the jacketed bullets.  The plated bullets just get too many negative reviews so I don't mess with them.  You pretty much have to see what works best in your gun.  If you google arround most of the accuracy bullseye shooters all use jacketed stuff, and with my glock I need all the accuracy I can get.

The ones I load for the Glock shooter in my house are 147gr Xtreme over 3.2 titegroup at 1.16 OAL. Accurate, cycle well, about 133PF or so. I personally like the 147gr Blue Bullets a bit more, but they had an issue cycling at the same load with a stock recoil spring in the Glock, guessing due to the 147s being 150s, but switched springs and it runs those on same powder/OAL  

On 8/25/2017 at 5:05 PM, rooster said:

Your going to get a lot of response on this one.  I run either a 124 precision delta or Montana gold Japan at 1.135 for the Pd, and 1.125 for the mg.  With 4.0 gr. N320, 4.0 titegroup, and my favorite 4.7 gr wsf.  Never cared too much for plated or coated bullets.  Too much screwing arround with them and the savings are not that much to justify the hassle.  

These are great recommendations and thank you each for the responses and details.  I have been looking at each as they come in and going out to look at specs and pricing.  I've only been reloading pistol for a couple of years and most all of the projectiles mentioned are new to me.

I will reload a few starting load, once I receive the bullets and start testing.  This is great info and Thank you. 

Using several different coated lead bullets, WSF has been the most accurate for me in 9mm Glocks--everything from a G43 to a G17 with RMR optic. I don't own a G17L or G34, though. WSF has been more accurate for me than N320, Bullseye, and Ramshot Competition. Off-hand groups of 4" at 25 yards with a stock G26, G19, and G17 are normal. With match barrel, optic, and shooting from a rest, smaller groups are easily achieved.

My range load for 9mm Glocks is 3.6 gr WSF with an Acme 122 gr coated Flat Point bullet at 1.045 OAL. I've also loaded several thousand rounds of 3.6 gr WSF with a Bayou 124 gr Flat Point bullet at 1.075 OAL. Bayou has replaced that with a 120 gr Flat Point bullet. The loading for that bullet should be similar to the Acme 122 gr bullet.

3.2 gr WSF with an SNS Casting 147 gr coated Flat Point bullet at 1.125 OAL has also worked well for me.

These are light, targets load that cycle all those guns reliably. I've used as much as 5.2 gr WSF with a 122/124 gr coated bullet to shoot through a compensated Glock 17. You should be able to increase the powder charge until you reach your desired power factor without any issues.

I expect greater accuracy from jacketed bullets, but with the performance I get from coated projectiles, I haven't had to make the jump.

7 hours ago, blackhand said:

Using several different coated lead bullets, WSF has been the most accurate for me in 9mm Glocks--everything from a G43 to a G17 with RMR optic. I don't own a G17L or G34, though. WSF has been more accurate for me than N320, Bullseye, and Ramshot Competition. Off-hand groups of 4" at 25 yards with a stock G26, G19, and G17 are normal. With match barrel, optic, and shooting from a rest, smaller groups are easily achieved.

My range load for 9mm Glocks is 3.6 gr WSF with an Acme 122 gr coated Flat Point bullet at 1.045 OAL. I've also loaded several thousand rounds of 3.6 gr WSF with a Bayou 124 gr Flat Point bullet at 1.075 OAL. Bayou has replaced that with a 120 gr Flat Point bullet. The loading for that bullet should be similar to the Acme 122 gr bullet.

3.2 gr WSF with an SNS Casting 147 gr coated Flat Point bullet at 1.125 OAL has also worked well for me.

These are light, targets load that cycle all those guns reliably. I've used as much as 5.2 gr WSF with a 122/124 gr coated bullet to shoot through a compensated Glock 17. You should be able to increase the powder charge until you reach your desired power factor without any issues.

I expect greater accuracy from jacketed bullets, but with the performance I get from coated projectiles, I haven't had to make the jump.

Backhand - Thank you for the info, WSF burn-rate is close to N340 which is a favorite of mine.  (http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Burn Rates - 2015-2016.pdf)

Also, I see that it is a ball powder which meters well in my reloader. (Much more than a disk or flake.)  Good to know. 

I have not looked at Acme Flat Points but will need to add those to the list.  Also, I am not sure what my Glock's max OAL will be.  I need to reload a few dummy rounds and get my micrometer out to see where the lead on bullet hits the lands and will not feed.

I would take a 4" group at 25 any day, and the Berry copper coated are not producing that for me. Off of a bench rest, I get occasional flyers that I know are the gun or me for sure. 

This is great info. Thank you. 

Edited by frodo9mm

Glock 34 Gen 4 with Acme 145g round nose, 3 grains of tightgroup, OAL of 1.160, stock barrel,  and Winchester small pistol primes is my favorite, puts you at 129-130PF. I have been shooting this combo with 3.1 grains of tightgroup lately. Cycles the slide a little faster and puts you at 135 Power Factor. 

I've been shooting the same load since around 2007.
Berry's plated 124gr. RN
4.0gr. TiteGroup
Approx 1.140 OAL

I primarily shoot a G34, where it chronos out at about 1080 fps. But it runs great in everything else including STI pistols and multiple different PCCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never been a fan of plated bullets but I had them and wanted to test out my new glock barrel,  my stock one wasn't cutting the mustard.

147g Xtreme plated .356 -   3.2g Titegroup, 1.150 OAL, Fed Primers, made 133PF,  130PF with 3.1g

This was from 20 yards off my bag, the 2 out left were me standing offhand,  This was after the chono session on an old target, don't let those extra pasties fool you.

S3F barrel, HUGE accuracy difference for me.   Maybe I got a bad factory barrel, tried a lonewolf also same results as factory barrel.   Overall, I think a FMJ is a better choice.  My 147g Zero JHP are on the way, I'll post some results of those when they arrive.  Until them I'm going to shoot these plated with that kind of accuracy.

IMG_2475.jpg

Edited by jtrump

28 minutes ago, jtrump said:

I've never been a fan of plated bullets but I had them and wanted to test out my new glock barrel,  my stock one wasn't cutting the mustard.

147g Xtreme plated .356 -   3.2g Titegroup, 1.150 OAL, Fed Primers, made 133PF,  130PF with 3.1g

This was from 20 yards off my bag, the 2 out left were me standing offhand,  This was after the chono session on an old target, don't let those extra pasties fool you.

jtrump - that is a nice group at 20yds.  What sights do you use for this?  Thx

http://sevignyperformance.com/products-page/competition-sights/shop-fiber-optic-sights/   

.245 tall for the heavier bullet;    If I were to go with another site it would the the front TTI fiber optic front.

I am damn pleased,  but honestly my stock barrel would not do this, my lone wolf "back up barrel" would not do this.    I pop in the s3f barrel and shoot groups like this with plated bullets.... I'm super happy!

3 hours ago, frodo9mm said:

jtrump - that is a nice group at 20yds.  What sights do you use for this?  Thx

Edited by jtrump

3 hours ago, frodo9mm said:

Tight Groups for Sure.  I have heard that the s3f barrels are nice. Is yours stainless?  Is it ported? Thx

No threaded/ported/fluted it's just the regular black nitride coated.