Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Classic

peterk1234

Hi all.  My wife and I are owners of a STI Marauder.  Simply, our favorite gun.  We are not competitors (although I am about to try my first pin shoot tomorrow,).

The 2011 platform is just too large for my wife, so we have our eyes on a 1911.  We want to stick with STI, but our choices are limited because of the whacked out state we live in.  I cannot even get a Trojan, unless it can be had as a private sale.  

So here is my question...... We can get a DVC Classic (looking for 9mm).  Is a gun like that just total over kill for recreational shooting?  My wife got to shoot a Trojan the other day, and it fit her perfectly.  It was  a beautiful gun, and maybe just maybe, the owner will sell it soon.  However, my wife knows that the Classic is an option, and I know how much she likes shiny things :)

Thanks

Pete 

To each is its own, can't really blame a person for admiring the beauty of a firearm. if that what you guys like I'd say go for it. Everyone has their own unique taste in fire arms. Some folks will say you probably not going to use that firearm to its full potential because your not a competitive shooter, don't listen to them. Your the one buying.

19 minutes ago, Keola5o4 said:

To each is its own, can't really blame a person for admiring the beauty of a firearm. if that what you guys like I'd say go for it. Everyone has their own unique taste in fire arms. Some folks will say you probably not going to use that firearm to its full potential because your not a competitive shooter, don't listen to them. Your the one buying.

Agree, your money get what you want.

As far as what will work for your wife.  It sound like any 1911 will do the trick as far as fit is concerned.  May be worth looking into what is available in your state in god quality 1911's

Therein lies the challenge.  Basically Ruger, S&W and  some of the Sigs.  Don't get me wrong, they all shoot way better than we ever will, but even us rookies appreciate the quality of our Marauder.  Our friend has a Pro series 1911 in 45 caliber.  Nice gun, but not even close to the marauder.  The slide on the Marauder literally feels like it is on bearings and it is such a soft shooter, with a great trigger.  

I keep hoping STI goes through the approval process for the rest of their guns here in Mass, but I am not holding my breath at this point.  

If it is considered a mass compliant gun, otherwise no.  Now if it is already here, then I can do a private transfer and be legal.  The minute a FFL is involved,then no.   You can't make this stuff up.  

Edited by peterk1234

I probably would be the person that says don't buy one unless it is the only good choice you have, since it is just so much more money than the others (more than double). But by all accounts they are great shooters, and I am confident you would love it. I would just be looking at a cheaper gun and lots of ammo if it were me.

Have you considered a SpringField RO? 

I have a 9mm stainless RO that I shoot in SingleStack and it functions well...  It doesn't have the initial quality of an STI Trojan (in my opinion) but it is a fun gun to shoot, even if you never modify it... 

I would consider some of the other 2011's first. Fit and finish are not what they advertised. CK, Lonestar, and Hayes customs. There is reason so many DVC's are for sale in the classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, peterk1234 said:

a DVC Classic Is total over kill for recreational shooting?  

Asking this question, of the BE Universe, is like asking a surgeon if

a little cosmetic nip and tuck surgery is "over kill". 

Why, some of the crazy nuts here actually own 10-12 guns, some of them

pretty much the same (Not me - I'm the only sane person on this Forum) ....:P

I' m surprised no one suggested you buy two of them, one for each of you,

and many crazies here actually have a "backup" 2nd gun - imagine ???    :D

Or, some might even imply that this gun is NOT even enough ...  You

really NEED a custom made gun   ....   for recreational shooting .....   :bow:

Sorry, you've come to The Wrong Place with a question like that.

For recreational shooting  -  ANY gun that you like and can afford

is perfectly fine.

BUT, start thinking about reloading ....;)

7 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Why, some of the crazy nuts here actually own 10-12 guns, some of them

pretty much the same (Not me - I'm the only sane person on this Forum) ....:P

;)

Nope, my dog Sherman and I are the only sane people on earth, but I'm starting to wonder about him. :blink:

20170617_142319 (Medium).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On August 25, 2017 at 11:30 AM, peterk1234 said:

If it is considered a mass compliant gun, otherwise no.  Now if it is already here, then I can do a private transfer and be legal.  The minute a FFL is involved,then no.   You can't make this stuff up.  

You should join our USPSA community as mentioned in the PM I sent you.