Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 won't group anymore

LeviSS

I've had a SP-01 Tactical since '07 and put a lot of rounds through it.  It used to shoot pretty good groups.

I hadn't group shot with it for a long time and had moved on from it to a different gun for Limited.  I got it out the other day because I was thinking about trying Carry Optics and couldn't get less than a 4 or 5 inches group at 20yds with the iron sights.  I thought it was probably me, so I immediately got out my Tanfo and shot a tight group.  It's got all the CZC and CGW goodies, so the trigger is nice... shouldn't be an issue.

I thought maybe the bushing had worn out.  I wasn't the best about cleaning this gun.  I ordered a CGW 10x bushing and installed it.  It didn't help much if any.

The slide has some side to side play with the gun in battery.  Could this be the issue?

At this point I don't know what to do.  Maybe replace the barrel?  What do you guys think?

I've replaced a barrel in a shadow i felt was shot out. It made a difference. I haven't found a small amount of slide play be a reason my gun wouldn't hold a group.

I have had loose front and rear sights, ammo I made poorly with too much crimp, a beat to death slide stop that failed soon after, a barrel i thought was shot out and me just being "off".

Edited by rowdyb

14 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

carry optic follows production rules so all your trigger upgrades are not legal for CO

Huh ? A big reason for the popularity of CZ's in production is the legal trigger upgrades. 

16 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

A new barrel will run you ~$200 but carry optic follows production rules so all your trigger upgrades are not legal for CO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They are all Production legal upgrades.

I've tried a few different of my reloads with different bullets and weights of bullets.  I'm pretty sure I've got my crimp dialed right.  I can try some factory ammo.

The front sight is a little wiggly.  I put a Springer Precision red dot plate on it with a FF3 3moa dot and had about the same results, so I'm thinking that's not the main issue.

Can the slide stop being worn out affect accuracy?  This one is fairly new.  It doesn't look beat up.  I think I have a spare (old one) I could try.

Edited by LeviSS

in the gun i replaced the barrel the external dimensions of the barrel were different than the replacement and the rifling inside was visibly loose/wider/stretched in comparison to the new barrel replacing it. and what if i was wrong? $200 is pretty cheap to feel a lot better about it versus buying a new gun.

4 hours ago, LeviSS said:

How hard is it to fit a barrel?

it's just time with a file and a sharpie. knowing what you're doing you can do it in under 30 minutes. learning as you go probably an hour.

3 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

it's just time with a file and a sharpie. knowing what you're doing you can do it in under 30 minutes. learning as you go probably an hour.

Interesting.

Is there a barrel fitting for dummies reference anywhere? 

A buddy of mine had the same problem.  He ordered a replacement barrel for EFK Fire Dragon.  It dropped right in and worked.  The only thing he had to do was adjust his sights, because the POI was different.  KKM will shortly be offering replacement barrels for the CZ pistols.

I agree with the advice to start with the ammo.

start at about 4 minutes into the video. pretty close to what i've seen done. the concept of sharpie, test fit, file, repeat is right on. the how and where of filing and with what is where i think everyone has their own little special touch.