Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pcc options

Thanks for all the replies.   Im kinda up in the air srill about what to do.  My 556 took over a year to build because of being particular about what I wanted.    I figure if your gonna put the money out there might as well be exactly what you want.   Thanks again.     

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Les Snyder said:

TGibe....as Flatland has commented  on many of his posts, be sure that your barrel will accept a 1.140" or so cartridge without you needing to throat ream, unless you plan to load short...my 16" PSA did need reaming, my  10" PSA did not....I would recommend about a 21oz bolt and buffer combination to start...I happen to prefer the NFA modular bolt with the AR15 extractor, but my PSA using a pistol style extractor has worked well also..

Thanks. Building from parts may be more than I want to bite off right now... So I'm looking seriously at 2 options.

Option 1 (~$850) would be to purchase Spartan lower like this http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan_Complete_9mm_Billet_Lower_Receiver_V2_p/jb-spartan9-v2.htm (it comes with at least a Hiperfire EDT) and a complete upper like this https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw_Valley_Precision_AR_15_16_9MM_Complete_Upper_p/kvp-9up-16lc.htm This option would basically be a step up from where I'm at, but not to the top like a JP.

Option 2 (~$2k) Buy a JP GMR15 and be done. This will require saving up some more money and waiting. When I was shooting 3 gun I bought a JP15 (sold now) and had literally zero issues, which is why I bought it.

3 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

If you want to buy an off the shelf PCC get a JP GMR 13 or 15 through either their Rifle Ready program or one of their dealers. You will have a rock solid gun with an awesome trigger that will run tens of thousands of rounds reliably and without question. 1 malfunction on the clock in the PCC game of all gas no reloads will cost you a match. Consistent malfunctions because of either part compatibility or issues with quality will drive you insane and cost you more in the long run.

My GMR eats ammo loaded from 60 PF (yes, 60) all the way up to 170 PF. I've loaded long profile bullets to 1.17"+ (which wont even fit into GLOCK-brand-GLOCK mags) that still plunk and spin. I've had folks run factory ammo or their pistol reloads they brought with them to shoot a USPSA match through the GMR. I've had 4 shooters shoot a 250 round steel match suppressed run back to back. The JP runs and runs and continues to make people smile, but I might be more than a little biased ;)

Having owned a JP rifle in the past I concur that they are ultra reliable... Equipment problems drive me crazy, so a new JP is still an option if I can be patient. LOL

So anyone shooting the gmr 13.    That might be the way to go it seems.   Looked around at some prices and it seems to me that the reliability factor is not an issue with jp parts but by the time you put it together you are at or above rifle cost.    The 13 has a pinned and welded muzzle device is that a draw back or is that device good to go?    Thanks again

Hello: The biggest thing I don't like about the JP PCC's is the heavy large hand guard. Everything else I can work around. Since I am cheap I made my own PCC and have everything the way I like it now. I do have 4 uppers and 3 lowers and another with a conversion block. Damn these things are fun to play with! Thanks, Eric

17 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Nice price if it works well.

Looks like it uses some proprietary parts.   You might want to be sure replacements are readily available.

The article also recommends against shooting it left handed.  Curious if this would cause problems in a "WHO" stage.

All that said, I've not seen one at a match yet.

46 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Nice price if it works well.

Looks like it uses some proprietary parts.   You might want to be sure replacements are readily available.

The article also recommends against shooting it left handed.  Curious if this would cause problems in a "WHO" stage.

All that said, I've not seen one at a match yet.

Yeah....the left handed part is a bit worrisome. ...since I shoot a rifle left handed...

Hello: One thing to also consider is the angle of the magwell if you are going to use Glock magazines. I have seen some lowers that the angle is just not correct for good feeding. The round has to make a steep curve to go into the barrel. Some are flatter and line up a lot better. Two things that you should spend the most on are the lower receiver and a good trigger. The rest can be fixed or just buy a part that is known to work well. Thanks, Eric

12 minutes ago, tattooo said:

Has anyone ran themselves or saw someone else run a CZ Scorpion, Kriss Vector or a Beretta CX4 storm in PCC match ?

Yup.  A local shooter made Master in no time shooting his CZ Scorpion.  And when I grow up I'm going to shoot just like him.  (Fat chance!)

From what I've seen, its quite reliable.  It took him a few matches to get used mag reloads but he has it nailed now.

Yup.  A local shooter made Master in no time shooting his CZ Scorpion.  And when I grow up I'm going to shoot just like him.  (Fat chance!)

From what I've seen, its quite reliable.  It took him a few matches to get used mag reloads but he has it nailed now.

That is cool, They are real easy to shoot. I figured they could be as competitive as the AR pcc's
On 8/10/2017 at 11:52 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: One thing with building a PCC is to use good parts. I really like the Quarter Circle 10 stuff. They cost a little more for the lowers but they have been building PCC stuff for a while. I have a QC10 PCC I built from parts. The build sheet is as follows: QC10 Glock lower, QC10 upper receiver, JP bolt, JP buffer, Wilson Arms 16" barrel, Nordic small diameter hand guard, Raptor charging handle, Hiperfire 3 gun trigger, KNS pins, Ergo grip, Magpul stock, the rest of the parts are what I found on sale. This costs a little more but it is all top shelf parts I like. I use factory Glock magazines and Magpul Glock 17 ones also. I have seen some of the uppers and lowers people bought around here and the quality is not always that great. Barrels needed throating and a chamfer added to help with feeding issues. Bolt not made to spec that will work with the lower etc. Take your time and make your dream list then add up the cost to build it. It may make more sense to buy a slightly used PCC or one that is already built. Good luck with your adventure and a warning that one is never enough. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1082.JPG

I ordered a qc10 upper lower set yesterday to build.   Is the fit (wiggle) good on this set?  Are there any issues with part fitment?   Im planning on using the jp bolt and spring.  I have a pof trigger and some other parts.   Thanks for the help.

Hello: I use a Ergo wedge on all mine. It makes a loose upper and lower tighter and a tight fitting ones even tighter. As for the fitment of the upper and lower it also comes down to the pins you use. Good luck on your build you should be putting a smile on your face soon. Thanks, Eric

On 8/11/2017 at 0:15 PM, Marshal82 said:

http://recoiljunkie.com/pcc-budget-and-build-sheet/

TGibe, that combo will serve you well. Those are quality parts and similar to my budget build at the link above.

I was able to order this lower today  http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan_Complete_9mm_Billet_Lower_Receiver_V2_p/jb-spartan9-v2.htm but the upper you listed was out of stock.

Any other suggestions for a complete upper for between $500 and $700?

Cheers

48 minutes ago, Marshal82 said:

Hello: Better check to see if you can use reloads in it. You may have to load real short or have the throat reamed. Also check to see if it will take Glock and Colt magazines with the bolt. Thanks, Eric

Just now, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Better check to see if you can use reloads in it. You may have to load real short or have the throat reamed. Also check to see if it will take Glock and Colt magazines with the bolt. Thanks, Eric

It will take both Glock and colt mags as it states for the Hybrid bolt. Reloads will be fine, though as with a lot of the PCC barrels out there you may need to load short. 

3 minutes ago, Marshal82 said:

It will take both Glock and colt mags as it states for the Hybrid bolt. Reloads will be fine, though as with a lot of the PCC barrels out there you may need to load short. 

Hello: If the bolt is the type with the two pins that locate it onto the rest of the bolt, I am not a fan of those since you can not try a JP buffer setup or make the bolt lighter easily. Lots of options out there or you can build your own. Thanks, Eric

A local shooter brought the Taccom ULW upper to the range.  I don't have one (yet) but with the Taccom barrel and carbon fiber handguard, that thing is silly light.  Its going to be a big winner for USPSA matches.  Its also chambered with a long throat so you will not need to monkey with your  reloads to pass the plunk test.

The rifled part of the barrel is under 10" so if you load minor for your pistol, those loads should be fine without reducing powder weight.  Just one less thing to worry about.

Bill