Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pcc options

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

For off the shelf PCC rigs, there are optinons. What is your price range? 

For top tier, JP, Nordic Components, Wilson Combat, Sig MPX, etc.

For more budget rigs look at the Just Right, Rock River Arms, etc.

If you own a Glock, you might look at the MechTech conversion unit.

Or....roll your own. There are a LOT of lowers in either Colt or Glock pattern. And all kinds of complete uppers from a few hundred dollars on up to $1500.00.

PCC is a blast to shoot. Good luck on your search.

Edited by BigBamBoo

I shoot a Palmetto State Armory PCC in competition.  I wasn't sure the bug would really get to me so I wanted to start out cheap.

If you go this route, you will want to change out the trigger so add that expense into your budget.

Mine now has just over 6500 rds through it and the only problem I've had with the PSA parts is the gas key screws came loose after 6000 rds.  I replaced and peened them in place and do not expect it will happen again.

My only complaint (and I've learned to adapt) is the barrel could stand to be throat reamed but since it was nitrided, that's not really an option.  The coating is just too hard to ream without risking a reamer.  I'm careful on my bullet selection and load them short.  

My only complaint (and I've learned to adapt) is the barrel could stand to be throat reamed but since it was nitrided, that's not really an option.  The coating is just too hard to ream without risking a reamer.  I'm careful on my bullet selection and load them short.  

I can ream it for you. I had some carbide throaters made that do an awesome job on everything. Cuts melonite like a hot knife through butter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In AR pattern, decide Colt or Glock style. If you already have an AR, you could add a mag well conversion block & a complete 9mm upper & some Metalform mags, & go shoot. I have the RRA bottom loader, & it's been 100% reliable. 

In Glock style, I have a Palmetto billet lower that is also good to go. Mags are plentiful, & some like the angle of mag insertion better than Colt. 

I just finished a Palmetto dedicated Colt style forged lower. I had to tweek the ejector to the right with a couple wacks with a hammer to get reliable ejection. 

I love building my own. ARs are adult Legos. 

Add to your upper options on standard or Side charging.  Most major AR manufacturers have AR9s and some can custom build them for you. 

I built mine from New Frontier Armory side charging upper and lower.  It is fun building them.

Appreciate the replies.   Im thinking glock pattern.  I like ar style.  I built (assembled) my 556.  I reload 223, 9mm, and 300 blackout.  Budget is going to be around a grand.  Kids in school and so forth.  I dont own a glock but I like the price of there mags and the fact there plentyfull.     Mainly shoot sig for pistols.  Im not opposed to a build at all.  Not familiar with what works.  The blackout road taught me alot HAHA.   

11 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I shoot a Palmetto State Armory PCC in competition.  I wasn't sure the bug would really get to me so I wanted to start out cheap.

If you go this route, you will want to change out the trigger so add that expense into your budget.

Mine now has just over 6500 rds through it and the only problem I've had with the PSA parts is the gas key screws came loose after 6000 rds.  I replaced and peened them in place and do not expect it will happen again.

I looked at the psa and the lowers were in stock.  It also said that it had to be used with a psa upper and there all out of stock.   Is that the deal or suggestion from psa?

Hello: One thing with building a PCC is to use good parts. I really like the Quarter Circle 10 stuff. They cost a little more for the lowers but they have been building PCC stuff for a while. I have a QC10 PCC I built from parts. The build sheet is as follows: QC10 Glock lower, QC10 upper receiver, JP bolt, JP buffer, Wilson Arms 16" barrel, Nordic small diameter hand guard, Raptor charging handle, Hiperfire 3 gun trigger, KNS pins, Ergo grip, Magpul stock, the rest of the parts are what I found on sale. This costs a little more but it is all top shelf parts I like. I use factory Glock magazines and Magpul Glock 17 ones also. I have seen some of the uppers and lowers people bought around here and the quality is not always that great. Barrels needed throating and a chamfer added to help with feeding issues. Bolt not made to spec that will work with the lower etc. Take your time and make your dream list then add up the cost to build it. It may make more sense to buy a slightly used PCC or one that is already built. Good luck with your adventure and a warning that one is never enough. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1082.JPG

Edited by Aircooled6racer
Good luck with your adventure and a warning that one is never enough. Thanks, Eric

He speaks the truth! Have 3 now and about to start piecing together a 4th in 10mm. Getting bit by the PCC bug is a lot like getting bit by the 1911 bug, except the treatments are less expensive! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSA lowers work with any 9mm upper, other than Olympic Arms. If you go Glock, be sure whatever bolt you get is cut to work with Glock mags. Most are these days. A blem. Glock lower is $219, & there is a PSA upper & Faxon bolt in the classified right now.  

Colt style Metalform mags are really cheap now, & are the best of the type available. PSA has them for $13 when on sale, if you go Colt. 

OPENB is correct.  I have two PSA lowers and so far five uppers.  Of the uppers, only two are PSA.  The others are plain old mil-spec AR15 uppers.  I also have an assortment of bolts and all work well together.  Is this the norm or did I get lucky?  (Maybe time to buy a lottery ticket.)

Please note that the PSA billet 9mm lower for Glock magazines are built by New Frontier.  They also make the same lower for Joe Bob Outfitter's Spartan line.

If you go the Glock mag route, use the aftermarket mags for practice and the factory Glock mags for matches.  With aftermarket baspads and splices you can have mags that hold anywhere from 10 rds up to 60+ rds.  (And for less than the cost of a 2011 mag.)

I joke with friends that I don't shoot PCC.  I shoot the "New Open" since the sky's the limit.  And it is addictive.

7 hours ago, OPENB said:

In AR pattern, decide Colt or Glock style. If you already have an AR, you could add a mag well conversion block & a complete 9mm upper & some Metalform mags, & go shoot. I have the RRA bottom loader, & it's been 100% reliable. 

In Glock style, I have a Palmetto billet lower that is also good to go. Mags are plentiful, & some like the angle of mag insertion better than Colt. 

I just finished a Palmetto dedicated Colt style forged lower. I had to tweek the ejector to the right with a couple wacks with a hammer to get reliable ejection. 

I love building my own. ARs are adult Legos. 

Picked up a used mechtech to make sure I liked PCC and and now am looking for a better arrow. But I also don't want to spend what it costs for the JP9 or MPX...

I've never built an AR before (I bought a JP15 and it ran flawlessly)...  Is it truly snap together the lego parts and go have fun?

Thx

You need the proper tools, but yeah. I have a vice, upper & lower receiver blocks, barrel wrench, torque wrenches, buffer tube castle nut wrench, pivot pin tool, punches. I wouldn't do it without the proper tools. But once you have them, you can build all you want.

1 minute ago, OPENB said:

You need the proper tools, but yeah. I have a vice, upper & lower receiver blocks, barrel wrench, torque wrenches, buffer tube castle nut wrench, pivot pin tool, punches. I wouldn't do it without the proper tools. But once you have them, you can build all you want.

Cool. Thx. Will start digging and see if I want to go this route.

TGibe....as Flatland has commented  on many of his posts, be sure that your barrel will accept a 1.140" or so cartridge without you needing to throat ream, unless you plan to load short...my 16" PSA did need reaming, my  10" PSA did not....I would recommend about a 21oz bolt and buffer combination to start...I happen to prefer the NFA modular bolt with the AR15 extractor, but my PSA using a pistol style extractor has worked well also..

4 hours ago, OPENB said:

I learn something new every day.  I had never heard of a pivot pin tool.  Did a quick eBay check and there it is.  A very simple tool that in my case will cut back on the colorful language during a build.  Thanks for mentioning it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-Pivot-Pin-Installation-Tool-No-More-Flying-Detents-All-AR-223-5-56-/253078507957?hash=item3aeca791b5:g:fYEAAOSwRQlXe~cO

iukamedic,I am in the early stages of getting my 9mmPCC sorted out and unless you want to spend bigish dollars for a complete ready to shoot factory complete solution,the mojority of us end up rolling our own.The one fact that is an almost givin is a certain amount of tuning your particular gun  for it to run at 100%!!!!

Take your time and read through this excellent forum and you will find that there are going to be a lot of different ways to get a RUNNER to Run.

Set your expectations for fair amount of trial and error so that frustration doesn't ruin the fun of learning how to make your own PCC be a RUNNER.

You are in the right place to get all of the info you need in one place.........GOOD LUCK!

JB

10 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I learn something new every day.  I had never heard of a pivot pin tool.  Did a quick eBay check and there it is.  A very simple tool that in my case will cut back on the colorful language during a build.  Thanks for mentioning it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-Pivot-Pin-Installation-Tool-No-More-Flying-Detents-All-AR-223-5-56-/253078507957?hash=item3aeca791b5:g:fYEAAOSwRQlXe~cO

Hello: Looks like a 1/4" Clevis pin to me. You can find them at Ace Hardware or a home center. Thanks, Eric

Here is my take on 2 builds. Get a good throated barrel that is able to take all profile of bullets, weights, and lengths. I struggled with my first build especially if you reload. Used a short throated barrel(NFA match) and was constantly having problems with feeding and extracting. Went to a JP barrel and it all went away. JP, Wilson, Taccom and others are the way to go. There are plenty of posts of problems with these barrels not taking your reloads. I used a milspec AR Seekins upper, NFA Glock lower, JP barrel, Spinta bolt, Hiperfire EDT trigger, Taccom ULW buffer setup and the gun runs about as close to 100% as it can.

Second build is the Taccom ULW Glock upper, Taccom ULW adjustable buffer, KAW bolt less weight, Hiperfire 24C, & Gibbz ambi lower. This one also runs 99% with all bullet profiles. Optics & stocks are your choice.

I made the pivot pin tool by drilling a hole in the right spot out of a plastic punch. Works great.

gerritm

If you want to buy an off the shelf PCC get a JP GMR 13 or 15 through either their Rifle Ready program or one of their dealers. You will have a rock solid gun with an awesome trigger that will run tens of thousands of rounds reliably and without question. 1 malfunction on the clock in the PCC game of all gas no reloads will cost you a match. Consistent malfunctions because of either part compatibility or issues with quality will drive you insane and cost you more in the long run.

My GMR eats ammo loaded from 60 PF (yes, 60) all the way up to 170 PF. I've loaded long profile bullets to 1.17"+ (which wont even fit into GLOCK-brand-GLOCK mags) that still plunk and spin. I've had folks run factory ammo or their pistol reloads they brought with them to shoot a USPSA match through the GMR. I've had 4 shooters shoot a 250 round steel match suppressed run back to back. The JP runs and runs and continues to make people smile, but I might be more than a little biased ;)