Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant Sport Pistol Load Data

RAP

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/6/2024 at 3:21 PM, ES13Raven said:

Anyone have Sport Pistol load data, including OAL for the Shadow 2 (4.9" barrel) and 135 gr coated FP?  Looking to get 130~ PF.

Not a Shadow but here are some numbers using Sport Pistol with a Glock 17 and SNS coated 135g.

OAL 1.13 - 1.14

3.2g

Average PF = 125

High PF = 130

Low PF = 121

SD = 22

3.5g

Average PF = 135

High PF = 137

Low PF = 133

SD = 10

3.8g

Average PF = 142

High PF = 143

Low PF = 140

SD = 8

I like Sport Pistol in my 9mm / 160 grain revolver loads. I was using Clays, but it's unavailable now.

Sport Pistol meters better and burns cleaner. It's virtually the same load data.

4 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I like Sport Pistol in my 9mm / 160 grain revolver loads. I was using Clays, but it's unavailable now.

Sport Pistol meters better and burns cleaner. It's virtually the same load data.

I can find sport pistol now but it’s now in the mid $40 range for a pound. I’ve switched to AA2 and love it. Its price is rising quick too though. 

56 minutes ago, Thomas918 said:

I can find sport pistol now but it’s now in the mid $40 range for a pound. I’ve switched to AA2 and love it. Its price is rising quick too though. 

Yeah, my local place had it on sale a few months ago for $29 a pound. They had 75 pounds, I bought 4.

I should have bought them all :)

1 hour ago, Thomas918 said:

Yeah, the usual new year price increases, and I don’t think it’s going to get better for a while. 

I bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought 30,000 SPP, and 12 pounds of Sport Pistol and 16 pounds of Clays.

I'm only using 3 grains in either .38 Short Colt or 9mm behind a 160 grain slug.

I'm 65, I'm probably not going to need primers or powder in 30 years? 20 years...

10 hours ago, Thomas918 said:

took a trip to a scheels when they had federals for $69,,, limit 1 though... hey had clean shot,, which should be about the same as AA2 for $29.. so picked up a few lbs... I have a bunch of AA2.  Personally I think clays or sport pistol has got to be crazy high pressure to make 130 pf in a revolver with either 9mm or 38 short colt.|
 As I am loading for ICORE  I am happy with 125 and the AA2 is a bit slower so should give me a larger margin of error in SC brass. I mean we are pretty far off the reservation far as published data goes.. scuttlebut does say,, starline uses same brass specs other then length for 38 SC 38 spc and 357,, So 38 spc + p pressure levels are ok with me.. 
Saw Scheels is now over $90 on federals,, so trying out YSracers Milwall. Seem to be last place for $69 feds. Talked to UPS guy today and worked something out..  

Another rumor I am hearing is Alliant getting out of reloader powders and only selling to commercial loaders.

15 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Personally I think clays or sport pistol has got to be crazy high pressure to make 130 pf in a revolver with either 9mm or 38 short colt.

I really have no idea what the pressure is, but my S&W 627 is rated for .357 magnum. My 929 is rated for 9mm, and I have no idea what pressure it's rated for.

5 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought 30,000 SPP, and 12 pounds of Sport Pistol and 16 pounds of Clays.

I'm only using 3 grains in either .38 Short Colt or 9mm behind a 160 grain slug.

I'm 65, I'm probably not going to need primers or powder in 30 years? 20 years...

I’m older than you but put me in your Will anyway. 🤣

4 hours ago, Joe4d said:
Another rumor I am hearing is Alliant getting out of reloader powders and only selling to commercial loaders.

Is that from the same place that said Lake City was not making commercial ammo anymore too?

The way there’re going it won’t make much difference. I would think that Red Dot/Promo are two of their biggest sellers volume wise to trap shooters and neither one has been available for a long time. That’s probably why though.