Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visiting Other Forums

Chuck D

I have a few new Glocks I've been playing with...getting ready for a change to Production Division.

I won't name the other forum but I was "lurking" there a bit...looking for tips and tricks...being new to Glocks and all.

Man alive it's a TOUGH NEIGHBORHOOD over there. Lots of "bitter" responses especially when posting to other subjects outside of Glock specific topics. :o

I'm sorry I strayed...the best is truly right here. It'll NEVER happen again. ;)

Agreed. Not so friendly at other forums. Makes me appreciate be.com all the more & particularly those whoe work to maintain this place as it was inteded to be. Regards,

D.C. Johnson

I know if there's anybody around here that chafes at some of the restrictions here, especially on things political, at BEnos it's me. Despite that, I hang around here because we tend to be the friendliest, best mannered shooting forum around- period. After all, I think we all realize that it's only logical that armed folks be nice to each other! (At least most of the time!)

I think the key here is most everyone is a serious shooter/competitor and not a bunch of twits killing time.

I'm a moderator on the 1911 forum, and other than checking my reloading forum and maybe the competition forum, I almost never post there anymore. It's irritating and tends to make my posts on any forum a little on the rude side :(

I'd be the first to admit that I get "aggressive" on certain issues (like L10 for example) and sometimes I don't know when to quit "debating."

Visiting other forums has given me the opportunity to compare my forum behavior to others...and see EXACTLY how similar and/or different my behavior is. :unsure:

It was a valuable learning experience and a lesson in tolerance. ;)

"I think the key here is most everyone is a serious shooter/competitor and not a bunch of twits killing time."
I think that's it in a nutshell... along with the diligence with which the Admin/Mod team here patrols.

I'm Admin-ing (with two others) a small regional forum concerning self-defense issues and self-defense training. There was a major change in site ownership last week and already we're having to 'police' the things some yay-hoo's think they can say and stuff they can post. As a guideline for abusive verbage, I say something like, "Would you let your 11-year-old daughter read this...?" Or, "Would you say that in front of a classroom of 6th graders (mixed company) who were interested in shooting...?! We're concerned about making this informative site palatable for females, LEOs and junior shooters... as well as the regular guys.

God, I've seen some real rude crap on other forums and wonder how they manage to get by like that. It's just plain frappin' unprofessional.

I've asked a couple of the moderators on here if they'd like to act as dog-catcher for some posters who don't respect anyone else. Each time they looked into the matter and were concerned, did something, and I thanked them for it.

The way I see it, having a beef with someone else and telling us about it, that doesn't help anyone shoot better. This forum stays on the task at hand like no other.

Great place to BE is right here. I spend most of my time here in that there is knowledge here and not someone just making things up that they think are right but answers are given from experience.

Friendly crew. Thanks all.

I've been lurking on a few other forums for a while, and more and more I find myself reading here, only. I agree that Max's forum has some good stuff on it, too. But, this forum is generally polite, well run, has a *bunch* of concise knowledge, and flat out helpful folks. I don't feel all that compelled to go looking for anything else :)

Yep, Max's and Matt's sites are notable exceptions. Most anywhere else the signal-to-noise ratio in unacceptable. That "other" site always reminds me of a quote I read as a kid:

"Narrow-minded people are like narrow-necked bottles.

The less they have in them the more noise it makes coming out."

...Mark