Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 sc vs 9mm open major

LukeHilton

45 minutes ago, lcs said:

1000 38SC new brass is now $176.   I can remember buying new 38SC at $120 not to long ago.

Yeah, I remember it being something like 109 from starline about 5 (?) years ago.   Starline sells Supercomp for 150 shipped, or Super for 140 shipped.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, lcs said:

1000 38SC new brass is now $176.   I can remember buying new 38SC at $120 not to long ago.

Not at Starline.  Still $149 plus $3 shipping insurance.  https://www.starlinebrass.com/order-online/cart.cfm?CID=16&Add

Like foxbat likes to say, tell it straight, so people can make informed decisions. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I didn't see anyone here suggest that having a 38SC gun is a flawed decision.  At the same time - "children are listening", so it makes sense to shoot straight. 

One very common question on this forum is: "I have been offered to buy a used 38SC gun... should I do it?"  Needless to say, people buying used guns are most sensitive to the cost of initial purchase as well as ongoing ownership.  Telling them there is no difference is misleading. 

Some folks also are not yet set up (or don't have the time) to reload the .38SC, or 9mm major.

Atlanta Arms and Ammo sells both (and .38 Super):

9mm 147 grain JHP Major:  $440.00 per 1,000.

.38 Super 125 grain JHP:    $410.00 per 1,000.

.38 SC 125 grain JHP:         $410.00 per 1,000.

https://atlantaarms.com/products/38-super-comp-125gr-jhp-major.html

13 hours ago, teros135 said:

Not at Starline.  Still $149 plus $3 shipping insurance.  https://www.starlinebrass.com/order-online/cart.cfm?CID=16&Add

Like foxbat likes to say, tell it straight, so people can make informed decisions. :rolleyes:

First, I did "tell it straight" -- I was  charged $176 for 1000. :rolleyes: 

I called Starline this morning and it seems many folks made the same choice I did,  (2) 500 packs (not realizing there is a drop down for a 1000)  which charges you more than (1) 1000 option.  They are refunding me the difference.

Thank you for information.  The price is still $149 per 1000 plus $3 shipping insurance.  So, really $152 per 1000  :mellow:

4 minutes ago, lcs said:

Thank you for information.  The price is still $149 per 1000 plus $3 shipping insurance.  So, really $152 per 1000  :mellow:

Gee, what a steal! lol 

Having never shot open....

I've seen alot of 9mm guns blow up or fail at matches, mainly case head serperation. I personally would never shoot 9 major. This past weekend at a match a guy on our squad had it happen 2 times in 3 stages. No thanks. 

38 SC all the way

22 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

I've seen alot of 9mm guns blow up or fail at matches, mainly case head serperation. I personally would never shoot 9 major. This past weekend at a match a guy on our squad had it happen 2 times in 3 stages. No thanks. 

38 SC all the way

The head separations may have been a freak occurrence.  Maybe someone not culling out the "stepped" cases (IMT, FM, Ammoload, etc.)  Haven't seen it much otherwise.  

40 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

38 SC all the way

Interesting... you have seen "alot" of guns blow up?  How come I have never seen one?  Am I doing something wrong?  Going to the wrong places? 

Seriously, you are totally confused.  A head separation can happen with bad brass.  Very rarely, but it can.  And usually it is not separation, but a hole in the side.

That, however, is NOT a gun blowing up.  I had it happen in practice with my older-than-God used brass of unknown quality.  The result is usually just a nuisance, not more than that. 

In reality I had more cases of blowby's in my Glocks. 

Very comfortable with 9 major.  Shot 38 sc for several years and got tired of chasing brass.  Went 9 major and have had one head separation with a stepped case in about 20K rounds.

Also had two separations while shooting 38 SC due to very old brass coming apart.  Stuff happens at major pressures with either.

I'm more diligent than before about brass regardless of caliber when loading 38 or 9 to major.

Just pay attention and either is fine

20 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Interesting... you have seen "alot" of guns blow up?  How come I have never seen one?  Am I doing something wrong?  Going to the wrong places? 

Seriously, you are totally confused.  A head separation can happen with bad brass.  Very rarely, but it can.  And usually it is not separation, but a hole in the side.

That, however, is NOT a gun blowing up.  I had it happen in practice with my older-than-God used brass of unknown quality.  The result is usually just a nuisance, not more than that. 

In reality I had more cases of blowby's in my Glocks. 

I have NEVER seen case head separation in anything other than a 9mm Major open gun. I dont think its rare at all. Seeing it happen 3 or 4 times a season to different people and 2 times in one weekend isn't rare. 

Here is my collection of blown cases - please note the Glock primers in that bunch.  You can clearly see more than one gun involved. 

A statistician at our company wore t-shirt that said: "Rare events don't happen to me"

I have been shooting open for years, and never seen case blowby happen in a match.  Furthermore - you started by saying "blown guns" - as I mentioned above, these are two VERY different things. 

blown.jpg

Edited by Foxbat

Yes.  I did not want to call anyone's attention to that fact, but it is interesting. 

Also interesting is the fact that these days I do shot plenty of WIN brass in my open guns, but I am not seeing any issues.

In my many, many years of shooting I saw real separation two times: 

In both cases there was double charge.  One gun: XDM, suffered cracked frame.  The other - Kimber SIS, did not seem to mind it at all, required no service.

rapture2.jpg

Hello,

i have both 9mm and 38SC pistols. Had quite a few case head seperations with 2pc 9mm cases. Never saw a case head sep with 38SC until yesterday. I'm posting a photo of what was recovered.

IMG_0497.JPG

2 hours ago, Dutchman195 said:

38 SC all the way

Quote "I've seen a lot of 9mm guns blow up or fail at matches,"    Are these 9 Major guns or you referring to or just 9 mm guns in general.  Makes a world of difference.

I have probably shot 100k of 9 major and I mean 9 major.  I run barrel holes and load 115s with a lot of powder.  I limit my brass to what I shot at my indoor range or once fired. Never had a case separation.  Lucky may be.

I have witnessed numerous  production 9mm guns destroyed by the owner who double double charged or no powder and sent another round down the barrel with a squib in front.  

To each his own, but 9 major is just as safe as 38SC.

4 minutes ago, hanexp said:

Hello,

i have both 9mm and 38SC pistols. Had quite a few case head seperations with 2pc 9mm cases. Never saw a case head sep with 38SC until yesterday. I'm posting a photo of what was recovered.

IMG_0497.JPG

Interesting--what was the load?

3 hours ago, Dutchman195 said:

38 SC all the way

Bull....

1 hour ago, lcs said:

Quote "I've seen a lot of 9mm guns blow up or fail at matches,"    Are these 9 Major guns or you referring to or just 9 mm guns in general.  Makes a world of difference.

I have probably shot 100k of 9 major and I mean 9 major.  I run barrel holes and load 115s with a lot of powder.  I limit my brass to what I shot at my indoor range or once fired. Never had a case separation.  Lucky may be.

I have witnessed numerous  production 9mm guns destroyed by the owner who double double charged or no powder and sent another round down the barrel with a squib in front.  

To each his own, but 9 major is just as safe as 38SC.

Absolutely. I have never seen a 9MAJOR OR 38 variant fail. Now, 40 S&W, that's another story. :)

I had casehead separations in.. hmm 45acp, .40S&W and 38SC, never 9 major ironicly.

most of the time 38super and comp seems more abused, than 9 major brass, the webbing is quite thick in 9. 

22 minutes ago, ano said:

I had casehead separations in.. hmm 45acp, .40S&W and 38SC, never 9 major ironicly.

most of the time 38super and comp seems more abused, than 9 major brass, the webbing is quite thick in 9. 

I think that's the saving grace with 9. It's very tough brass.

Should be noted I load 6 digits a year...  and shoot a bit ;) 

I seen 3n38 mixed with N310, he meant to load 8.7gr 3n38.... but with n310 in the measure it threw out 6.6gr n310 (when checked later) still didnt casehead separate in 2011 racegun, you could fit a Large primer though...  It spit the primer, but didnt separate S&B brass, gun was shot 5-6 times before Intercepted and call halt. we picked up the brass and he didnt get to shoot more that day, he callled me up later that night and explained what happend, made sense :P 

I've owned dozens of 9 major Open guns trying pretty damn hard to blow one up including 175pf out of a 4" barrel in a 20 year old compact Tanfoglio slide and the best I could do is round off the barrel lug (I cut the second one off so it would fit in the compact slide :devil:).  The two case failures I've experienced we're with stepped brass, even reloaded aluminum cases held up fine.

I have also never seen a 9 major case head separation, nor a gun "blown up".