Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Powder Do You Use For 38 Super?

COLD ETHYL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I tried 3N38 at 10 gr. gave me 168 PF, but erratic dot movement.

I got a couple of pounds of 3n38 to try in my super. I just picked up a 9mm open gun so I loaded some rounds to chrono. I noticed some erratic dot movement also. The dot would kinda go up and down and then it would vibrate to the right and then back to the middle.

It felt nice and soft but the erratic movement is distracting and kinda ruins it. I'll try it in my super and see if the same thing happens.

Edited by al503

For 125s, I'm currently using 7625. In my gun, it gives me the most consistent dot movement of the powders I've tried, shoots accurately (though not the absolute most accurately of them), and burns exceedingly clean.

I was shooting 3N38, which was very accurate in my gun. It was flatter than 7625 by a touch, but not as consistent in dot movement, and not as clean. Apparently, my first hybrid hole uncorks the pressure just at the right time to leave some unburned gunk in the gun w/ this powder.

N105 was most accurate in my gun, by just a hair, and burned cleanly. Its unfortunately very expensive... ;)

Tried and discarded 4756, 3N37, and N350 in this gun. N350 used to be the shizzle for old Major in my config, but not w/ the new power level...

I'm using the powder Bob Londrigan recommended for my Pro Sx.

I am using 10.4 grains of N105 behind a Zero 125 JHP (.356)

I haven't tried any other powders yet but will probably stick with this load.

It makes about 167 Power factor, burns clean, pressures are not excessive and the accuracy is phenomenal.

Tony

• 9 months later...

I am running Hodgdon Longshot (7.5 grains) under a 124 grain bullet. Shoots pretty soft for me and aside from the usual carbon build up it is clean with one or two flakes of unburnt powder in the gun after 500 to 1000 rounds.

Joe W.

• 2 weeks later...
I just finished off the last of my VV N350, so now im gonna use up the pound or two of N340 that i have sitting around. Ill prob settle on 7625 when the VV is gone. Ive been shooting 125gr Zero JHP bullets, I dont like the 115's for some reason.

Well i finished off the VV N340 and decided to try out some Longshot (read LoudShot). I use 7.5grs under a 125gr HAP for 1358fps/ 170PF. I really like the way the gun shoots. There vertical movement is little to none and there is no lateral movement in the dot. It seems to be really soft of the brass and the primers look like they were shot w/ a minor load. Im really impressed w/ this load.

• 3 weeks later...
stingerjg, Great to hear. I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has noticed there are almost no pressure signs at all when using Longshot.

Joe W.

I've been using Longshot for a while now and it works great. I'm using 7.8grs with a 124MG in a 5-port hybrid and don't see any pressure signs. And it is as clean as 3n38 in my gun, but feels a lot better.

EG