Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Shirt For Uspsa?

Eager

What type of shirt is recommend for USPSA matches that won't untuck and interfere with my draw? I'll soon be shooting my second match. My first match was in March and it wa cool. I wore a wool shirt that was fairly long and it stayed tucked in very well. Since then when I practice drawing and shooting the shirts I wear (be they light button-up or T-shirt) tend to come "un-tucked" bunching above the holster and eventually interfering with my draw.

What kind of shirt is recommended to prevent this?

Welcome to the sport and the forums!

Those of us that are "circumferentially challenged" fight this all the time. I tend to wear a tight fitting t-shirt or polo shirt during the more clement months and flannel/chamois during the other 9 months of the year. I buy "tall" sizes as they are usually an extra 2 inches longer.

Part of my "on deck" prep is to re-tuck everything just to make sure the draw path is clear.

During the winter when we are shooting in parkas, sweatshirts, fleece, etc. it gets to be an art form to get a clear draw built.

For Production this is more of an issue than for Limited, L10 and Open. If you are not shooting Production then you may be able to adjust your holster so the butt of the gun is further from your body. This will help you avoid the dreaded "rear site rip". Somewhere I saw that someone was sewing panels of Gortex or something like that to shirts to help with this problem but that seems a wee bit extreme to me.

You may also wish to "dehorn" your rear sight. Rounding off the top corners can really cut down on the snags.

And finally, dry fire can really help you sort out these sorts of issues. Keep mucking about until you find something that works for you.

Good luck and keep us posted!

One word... BARE MIDRIFF. Without any shirt there at all you can draw with ease...

HA!! :lol: Just kidding.

I find that a more fitted type of T-shirt works fine for me. Anything too baggy seems to interfere.

traxman

Hmmm. Yeah.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm shooting production however I'm not "circumferentially challenged"...yet. I'll experiment with what I can find in my closet looking for longer (to stayed tucked deeper) and tighter shirts.

Don't let 'em kid you about tucking your shirt into your underwear.  For the best shooting results you need tactical muscle mapping performance enhancing gear.  This is obviously THE shooting shirt : THE SHIRT  :ph34r:

Ive been thinking about getting one of those for shooting in the summer. Do you have one? How well will it 'compress' my beer gut? Or will i look like an idiot w/ my non-mucled body?

Whatever's clean ---- or not really dirty on match morning? Whatever lame T-shirt I came home with from the last big match I attended? :lol::lol:

Seriously --- in the winter, it's usually a longsleeve IDPA Winter Nats or S&W Performance Center mock turtleneck (the heaviest weight longsleeved Ts I've discovered) under a short sleeved USPSA match T or polo shirt. In the spring and fall, a short sleeved USPSA T-shirt or a Benosverse T, in the summer it's a usually a shortsleeved lightweight button up shirt --- as they tend to keep me cooler......

All of them require occasional tucking in.....