Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2005 Bianchi Cup News & Results

SRT Driver

Ben Hoffman is a local guy who made A class(would have been M if one wasn't so low) his first 4 classifiers in USPSA a couple months ago. He shot a Bianchi style match in Nov I held and won it solidly. I told him you need to go to the Cup you have what it takes. 4th overall your first time. Great performance. He is a new shooter!

wow..that is some squared away shooting..congratulations..that is amazing..

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an utter dissapointment in the NRA's handling of the results this year. So many things were done wrong, I don't know where to start.

The Open Modified results were totaly wrong. They were just a carbon copy of the main match gun results. Three guys got checks and trophies who weren't supposed to. I'm sure Jerry M won the Open Modified match with me close behind, but there's no way to know for sure because they're mixed in with the scores shot with the main or championship guns. Instead of Match 1-4 in Metallic (in my case), Open Modified would've been Matches 101-104. Then again, if Open was your main match, then Metallic would be Matches 101-104, but the secondary Metallic scores were only supposed to count towards the Open and Limited aggregate match. All that being said, apparently the stats people didn't come up with a way to separate them.

If you think this sounds confusing, you should've seen the look on the stats officers. Hell, it's too late now I'm sure.

Also, Mike Seeklander finished in fourth in Metallic, which would've qualified him to be in the Metallic Speed event (shoot-offs). This involves a significant amount of money if you place in the top three, which I have no doubt he would've. BUT, he was told just before shooting that he was actually fifth, and couldn't shoot. What happened is they counted a shooter's secondary Metallic score that was only supposed to count towards the Aggregate. SOOOOO, Mike got a check for Fourth Place Metallic, but didn't get to shoot in the man-on-man event.

Jerry and I got screwed out of 1st or 2nd Open Modified, which would've been about $400 or $200.

I'm all for introducing new divisions like Open Modified to help bring in shooters from different disciplines, but Jesus! Make sure it's done right. When there's money involved dot the "i's" and cross the "t's" for goodness sake!

I felt really bad for Mike, because I know he was looking forward to the shoot-offs. Rob ended up winning it and $900. I think Mike could've given him and/or Jerry a good run for the money.

VERY frustrating! I'm really hoping there are some changes for next year.

Phil

Congrats to all who even attended. The Cup is unlike any other tournament. Attending and finishing is an accomplishment.

Alan550 will be changing his handle! He jumped up and shot a personal best on the mover at BC! Don't recall the X count but it was a 476! Alan476 is coming.

How about those Virginia boys. Wow! Greg, Alan F. in stock. Jason, Kevin, Greg, Alan S and Jeff in Open and MO. Leroy's first Cup! Phil Strader is also a Virginian. That Virginia Shooting Sports Association Team coming in second overall, despite my abysmal plate performance. (Thanks Kevin and Jason for dragging me over the finish line).

And lets' not forget John Cameron who was there in spirit. How about that Marshall Granberg. He is currently undergoing Chemo/Rad and he has many seroius challenges ahead. Lastly, Joel. He was the big guy who walked with a stiff left leg. He was the High Service person. He got a standing ovation at the banquet. Joel's limp will be permanent. He was wounded (shot) in combat in IRAQ. God Bless him. What a guy. Thank you Joel.

Personally, I'm beginning to think Jay likes wearing dresses!

Out.....MJ

Well this years showing was not what I had hoped for but I did go from 145 (1508-68) last year to 118 (1673-86). I had two jams that cost me about 30 points I also shot two "sliders" that cost me 18-20 more points. But atleast I shot my game and did not rush.

I guess next year I will do even better.

Dirty Steve, Out.

;)

Look at that,  147 shooters at a Major Match.  Makes one sick to see that there were only 147 there.

See how many show next year when they are measuring for 3.5 lb minimum trigger pull weight.

Amen to that.

I told the Chairman that if the trigger pull rule went through there would be no registered or approved matches in Virginia in 2006. He then questioned my love of the sport. I never said that I would be no longer shooting Action Pistol.

I told the Chairman that if the trigger pull rule went through there would be no registered or approved matches in Virginia in 2006. He then questioned my love of the sport. I never said that I would be no longer shooting Action Pistol.

:D Did he get it?

I'm fairly certain that action pistol as a sport will continue..NRA Action Pistol is another matter.

Looking through the results am I wrong in noting a lot of 'regular' names missing? Mickey Fowler? John Pride? Riley Gilmour? to name but a few. When will people learn "if it aint broke don't try and fix it" cos if you play with it long enough you ARE going to break it for sure.

Just for grins, here are some more names missing...Julie Goloski, David Sevigny, Phillip Hemphill, Clay Tippit, Robert Vadasz, Kim Beckwith, Pat Prudhome. All of those were either in the money last year, (except Phillip) or are sponsored shooters. Could the safety rule change have anything to do with that? And what happens when the 3.5 lb trigger rule goes into effect next year?

Kevin is right. If that rule goes through, there will be NO approved matches in VA next year. We'll continue AP matches, just without NRA sanction. and Cup participation will drop even lower than it is now. A sad day for AP shooters. <_<

Later,

Alan~^~

Kinda funny how many people thought the whole ICASE thing was so terrible, and yet now it seems like a pretty good idea. When will people start listening to hillbillies??? (sorry Alan, I had to)

Kevin, I'd love to hear a break down of what happened at the shooters meeting?? Not nessecarily rule stuff, but break out the dirt, cause without a high school gossip of the Cup I feel so out of the loop.

Kinda funny how many people thought the whole ICASE thing was so terrible, and yet now it seems like a pretty good idea. When will people start listening to hillbillies??? (sorry Alan, I had to)

I was one of those people. I still don't regret my oposition, at the time. Now, as I told Alan at Winimac, I see his position and I think he's got the right idea.

This was first cup. I had a GREAT time (with the exception of my

gun(s) going south - lots of jams) The people could not be better

in general and it is a great match.

I spoke directly to Rudy (NRA) at the match and point blanked him with

the 3.5lb trigger rule. He indicated that the rules board had to meet this

fall and the rule book would not be sent out until January.

I told him that I was hooked and wanted to build a new gun but not

if they are going to put that stupid 3.5lb trigger pull rule in. I clearly

stated this on my questionare at the banquet along with my friends

who did the same.

My bet is that it is a done deal...... I would participate in any match

(that is close enough) that had "old" rules (ie no grip safety or trigger

pull limits).

It too bad that a lawyer or two can spoil a great sport like action shooting!!

Bob

Dave,

I didnt mean to imply you, if you wish to respectfully disagree with me on a topic (which is always the way you personally do it) that it 100% cool. What got me is some people getting hostile about it. Some of those same are now inquiring about ICASE.

Kinda funny really, cause if you look at it, most of the shooting sports have split at one time or another.

Mike,

No worries!!! I know you weren't directing that at me, and even if you were it is no problem. I was just standing up and saying that in light of recent events and looking at what has transpired in the last year regarding AP, ICASE is looking more and more like a good idea.

PS - any chance you'll be in Brookston this Sunday?

Hillbillies, huh? Well, I kinda resemble that remark, so I guess I are one! :P I'm only sorry I was right about NRA trying to kill the Cup!

Now to trying to get enough of us organized to make ICASE work. So far, the Kanucks and the Kiwis have gone along with the idea in theory, but it remains to be seen if the matches will actually be run by 1997 rules with the Metallic class added in place of the Stock class those people had in that book.

After this season, which ends for us in Oct. , we're going to that 1997 format with lowered entry fees to reflect the money we won't have to send NRA. That will wipe out ALL NRA sanctioned matches in VA & WV. A total of about 40 guns per month that they won't get the funds for.

Last year Gil Gilchrist made the threat in the SSUSA that "sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced". Now it's the NRA that will be getting replaced.

We may not get ICASE off the ground, what with all the organizational stuff to be done, but if it starts as a grass-roots movement, maybe we can make this sport back into something similar to what John Bianchi had in mind....i.e. a testing ground for innovation in firearms and how they're used in competition.

(soapbox mode off)

I love this sport, but the NRA is trying desperately to kill it, one rule change at a time.

Later,

Alan~^~

Dave,

I will be at Targeting Education on saturday, and Porter County IPSC on sunday. Anyone that makes it to Porter County on sunday is welcome back to my house afterwards (10 mins away) for some speed shoots/lunch/beer.

Alan,

Hillbillies seem to be in good company here. Please keep me up to date on the development of ICASE as well as anything I can do to help. It is so wonderful to see something run by those that actually care about its future.

Phil,

I'm really sorry that you and Mike got the shaft. :( What a bummer. I noticed the conspicuous absence of a few shooters too.

===============================================

I may not have a mover built, but if anyone in the Pacific/Inland NW is interested in shooting a non-sanctioned Bianchi-like event, please let me know. I'm going to try and set one up out at Fernan, which is near Coeur d'Alene, ID. I'm getting reminiscent for the D-1 for some reason. :)

Gun divisions for the fun match will in all likelihood be exactly the same as USPSA's (what a coincidence).

If someone could PM me and clue me into ICASE that would be cool too. Just point me to a reasonable set of rules and I will use them.

E,

The Bianchi (and most other matches) use the same standard 4 stages. But, there are actually something like a dozen (?) official stages to choose from.

I found them all online one time...without having to buy a rule book. It took some digging though.

We don't have 50y, so we shoot Los Alamitos (that may be a good term to use for searching).

I did some editing here. Let's keep it friendly, or keep it off the forum.

Kyle F.

Administrator

There seems to be a lot of talk about quitting or moving on here. I don't like the propsed rule changes (I have written Rudy about them, have you?) and I will do my part to put economic sanctions against the NRA if it comes down to that. (Hear that Rudy. That means only one or two Approved/Registered Matches in the year. Less cash flow for you guys. Multiply that times however many guys on this site co-ordinate them across the country) But, I'm not quiting.

I will continue to go to the Cup. I have only been to the last two but that's two in a row. You can not change something by leaving it. Well you can but how does making it go a way due to lack of participation help anyone? It don't! [edit] I will stop shooting it when I win or at least beat Robbie. [edit] So if you want to take your toys and go home that's fine. The rules apply to everyone. Not just three or four folks. So lets see what you are made of.

Dirty Steve, Out

If you want to try to trash me directly for this feel free to email me at Ginger@devtex.net. See I gots me a manly email addy. Kind of like a Boy Named Sue.

Edited by Flexmoney