Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 vs Stock 2 Xtreme Worth it?

mfairall

I have been pretty back and forth about stock 2 vs stock 3 vs CZ shadow 2 vs the Xtreme version of both tanfos. I have been shooting a plastic gun and want to move to all steel like many people, I was thinking about holding out for the shadow 2 but just got the chance to hold both tanfo xtreme models and I REALLY liked the feel of the stock 2 Xtreme. My LGS had it for 1750 so same price as most online stores. I feel I've made up my mind on the stock 2 because of the size and feel in hand the stock 3 was just a l little to big and heavy to be comfy for me and from what I hear the shadow 2 closely mimics the size of the stock 2 (if this is wrong please chime in). So I think the real question is, is it worth it to get the Xtreme over the basic stock 2. The trigger on the Xtreme still feel like it could use some help ( my CGW p09 is a little better) but other than that is seemed good to go. How much do you end up putting into a stock 2 basic to get it "Production ready" and after buying mags and base plates should you just go Xtreme? BTW I like the color of the Xtreme more.

Also I want to add that I do not load my own ammo although I do plan to eventually. How are they with factory ammo?

Edited by mfairall

Where do you live? USA or outside? If it is a common thread that the Extreme line is best suited for IPSC and standard Stock's for USPSA. The extra cost of an Extreme for USPSA is basically a waste, for a few hundred bucks in parts and a few hours time you'll have a far superior trigger for much less in a standard Stock 2.

I own a Stock 2 Aus with all the extreme mods and a shadow 2 also. In short if you shoot USPSA get a stock 2 and put the Patriot Defence parts in and you will end up with basically the best production gun you can get.

If you are shooting IPSC you will struggle to get a Stock 2's trigger as nice as a CZ Shadow 2. However you can still get a decent trigger. I shoot IPSC and will be sticking with the Tanfo over the Shadow 2. 

Go with the Stock 2 standard, read the forums here on Patriot Defense products along with the tuning/polishing threads and call it a day.  As Jezz mentioned, the Xtreme comes with a  different hammer but that is a $120 part, nothing else aside from the grips & base pads are materially different.

Mags are $14.99 from CDNN, basepads from Shockbottle are $25 each and Henning $20 each or $99 for a 6 pack.

These guns do fine with factory ammo. Rumor has it that at least one GM uses factory ammo in matches.

Edited by SCTaylor

Stock 2 standard.

titan hammer, bolo disconnector, 1pc EAA sear with matching extended firing pin block, lighter sear and trigger springs, a few hours of polishing, and the hammer spring of your choice.

Plus a Dawson front sight and a pair of grips of you feel like it.

Done. Far better trigger than the Xtreme for less money and you get to keep the hard chrome finish instead of dealing with the less durable finishes on the Xtreme. 

The standard version.  Add the parts listed. The EG grips are nice, but slim. The factory wood grips are thick. A wonderful compromise are the ones from Henning.  I have XL glove hands and they are about perfect.  

To optimize the Extreme, you will still need to get the bolo and (I assume) the one piece sear.  Both guns will absolutely need the same amount of polishing.

Stock 2 standard.

titan hammer, bolo disconnector, 1pc EAA sear with matching extended firing pin block, lighter sear and trigger springs, a few hours of polishing, and the hammer spring of your choice.

Plus a Dawson front sight and a pair of grips of you feel like it.

Done. Far better trigger than the Xtreme for less money and you get to keep the hard chrome finish instead of dealing with the less durable finishes on the Xtreme. 

In IPSC, unlike USPSA, you aren't permitted to do any internal polishing and you must use factory parts - off of your gun or a similar production-legal factory model.

Things are more restrictive internationally. You're also required to have a 5 pound pull for your initial shot... which is why Glocks are much less popular over there. Striker guns are 5+ for every shot. A CZ or Tanfoglio is likely to be down around 2 pounds in SA, if it's 5.5lbs in DA.

No matter what Patriot Defense makes, I'll probably buy it for the tanfo. Heck I bought a new muzzle brake for my new AR build from them. Couldn't pass it up.

As far as the stock 2 vs extreme... Just buy the stock 2 regular. Get parts from PD and polish the internals, first thing to do is grab the ammo you intend to run and plunk test it. If it doesn't drop in (with a little tap with the finger to ensure its tight), spin and fall out, send the barrel to Bevin Grams to have him ream it out a bit. Then mod away... I got caught trying to chase light strikes and finally figured out it was the cartridge not seating properly. Eliminate that right away and move forward with massaging

Edited by ryridesmotox

4 hours ago, mfairall said:

Is there any certain factory Ammo that they notoriously like or don't like?

Get your chamber reamed and if your gun is tuned properly it will eat what ever you feed it...... 14lb spring will be your your best bet for running factory ammo. Talk to JJ about our BOLO's as he carries them now, unless he's hoarding them all in the back. 

15 hours ago, Jezz said:

I own a Stock 2 Aus with all the extreme mods and a shadow 2 also. In short if you shoot USPSA get a stock 2 and put the Patriot Defence parts in and you will end up with basically the best production gun you can get.

Why?

If you do not care, fits your hand better, better accuracy, reliability, other ? 

2 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

Get your chamber reamed and if your gun is tuned properly it will eat what ever you feed it...... 14lb spring will be your your best bet for running factory ammo. Talk to JJ about our BOLO's as he carries them now, unless he's hoarding them all in the back. 

You guys sell a 'ready to shoot' gun for people who want to pass on the fiddlin about stuff ? 

4 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

You guys sell a 'ready to shoot' gun for people who want to pass on the fiddlin about stuff ? 

We stock guns, and offer a discounted tuning package for folks who purchase everything through us at once...... Everybody has different needs and wants on there guns to offer just one setup.

11 hours ago, mfairall said:

Nice gentleman thanks for all the help. Now I just have to find a basic stock 2 somewhere. I think the store that has the xtreme can order me one. It is JJ racaza's shop after all.

They're coming up regularly on GunBroker these days, so that indicates that any dealer (who genuinely wants to help) should be able to chase one down without too much trouble.

I was considering getting the Xtreme S3.  I decided on the S3 Elite instead.  Really glad that I did.  I have a friend with a S3 Xtreme and we both agree that the trigger on mine is far better.  I have spent about the same on my pistol and parts as a S3 Xtreme NIB.  So for the same money I have a better trigger, optimized Springs, guide rod, sights, etc.  I also have 7 mags with springer base pads.

Plus, I have had hours of time on the bench working with this pistol.

You can certainly get the Xtreme to run just as great but, that is some serious extra coin to spend.

Personally I prefer the hard chrome finish of the S2 vs the extreme ceramic finish.  I really love the glossy blued finish of the S3 vs the Xtreme s3.  (I like the S3 Elite finish so much I am having my CZ 97 refinished the same way)

Edited by billthemarine2862