Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slimebag Car Salesman

bountyhunter

When I was working in Oklahoma, a co-worker went shopping for a new car. After some haggling with the salesman, he was quiet for a long time and finally said he would need to get his wife's OK on the deal. It was a real small town, so the salesman says he should take it home and show the wife, and just drive it around over the weekend.

He did just that. All the way back to Tyler, TX. Approximately 850 miles round-trip.

And then told the salesman on Monday that his wife didn't like the car.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I hate that I wasn't there when he returned the car.

I hate that dealerships and car salesmen aren't really interested in allowing a person to buy a particular product but rather they feel that it's their job to CONvince a person to buy anything. They are not salesmen, they are manipulators and I hate to be manipulated.

If one wants to buy a new car, I feel that the best method would be to use the various online services like Edmunds and cars.com to get an idea on the value of the specific model and specific options desired. One can even request a quote through those services. Alternatively, one can also fax an RFQ to the fleet sales manager at a number of dealerships. As I understand it, the fleet sales manager often also assumes the role of Internet sales manager, since it is essentially the same process. From all that I've read, it seems reasonable to expect to pay 5% over the actual dealer cost. Note that "dealer cost" isn't the same as "invoice price".

I also hate that the last time I purchased a new car, I thought it would be wise to pre-arrange financing. I discovered that the financial institution charges the dealer a referral fee for "pre-approved" customers which the dealer in turn directly adds to the price of the car. This is on top of any finance charges that the institution charges me for the loan.

I just talked to Kendall Lexus of Eugene (800-43-LEXUS) and their take on the Premium Package is that is was the result of surveys done on new buyers before the model was issued--and right after it was issued--and the features were allegedly many that people had requested beyond what the base model offers.  Apparently it's not exactly possible to order a "base model" as such.  If you have questions, give Kendall Lexus a call at the above toll-free number and talk to Julio (HOO-lee-oh) in Sales who seemed like a very decent sort.  The Lexus dealership here in Eugene is a classy place.

" Apparently it's not exactly possible to order a "base model" as such."

AMEN!

Then why do they show it on their site, have a long list of "standard features", and a posted price when nobody can actually buy one with that equipment for that price?

That's the exact question I asked the people at Lexus.... no answer. They said they would forward my complaint. They said somebody would call me back in two days with an asnwer as to why the employ deceptive advertising... guess what? Nobody called me back.

Gee..... never saw that coming.

So, on top of them being liars in the marketing of their product, they are also liars who tell you BS when you have them nailed dead cold in a lie and they need to get you off the phone.

Color me stunned.

My brother in law went to a car dealer to discuss purchasing a new car and was asked to sit in a room while the salesman went back and forth to talk with the manager and the door was locked from the outside to keep my brother in law from leaving. Needless to say he was irate. He was a very testy Marine at the time and treatened to tear the door down and kill the salesman if it wasn't opened immediately.

SCUMBAGS, all of them. :angry:

Friend of the family owns a dealership. Stopped by one time while they were printing the "factory invoices" off their PC. Work of fiction to say the least.

Very weird business. I love the dealerships that say they will "beat any deal". Since just about every vechile out there has different options, it's nearly impossible to find any 2 similar cars so you can get them to make good on their promises.

I shop the salesman by phone, has worked out for me in the past.

Ted

They won't beat any deal. I knew a guy who's dad was buying a car. His uncle worked for Toyota and could get a huge discount, but would have to order the car. So they printed up the official Toyota document with the cost of the car. They took it to a dealer to see if they would match it. All they did was laugh. They ended up ordering the car because no one wanted to match the price or even come close. MSRP $24K, Invoice $20K, their price $14K.

I'm with Nolan though...I hate people that get super deals on new trucks without having to slog through the slime.  :P

What I hate is to get the good deals I have to buy them in Gilroy, 60 miles from where I live.

Nolan

And then there is that damm garlic smell!!! :D

Neal in AZ (who grew up in Stockton)

I agree, I hate buying a car. My husband refuses to buy one new just because of the frustration factor. We couldn't find a used Sport Trac set up the way I wanted it so I went through the same hassle. Everyone had the premium package in stock which had a 401 rear end. I wanted the base package with the 350 rear end (leather seats in Texas heat are not a good thing). I talked to the manufacturer and asked who the highest volume dealer was in my area. I called them and asked for the fleet manager (most times he is the one that does the ordering for the lot as a whole). I asked if he had an order with the factory for Sport Tracs which he did. I asked him to alter one of them to add/delete exactly what I wanted and that I would pay them X price for it. He thought about it for maybe 20 seconds and agreed. Overall, I took maybe twenty minutes of his time tops, he got a semi decent commission for not much work, and I got the truck I wanted at the price I wanted. If I buy new again, I'm doing the same thing.

I opted to smoke nonstop the whole time I was there. Inside the showroom, while sitting in the showroom cars, while sitting in the cars in the lot, while sitting at the guys desk. As well as asking equally retarded questions like, " is this truck gonna attract some chicks" to "how many dead hookers can I fit in the trunk" to "any good places to stash a dime bag".

Excellent!

This some what fits the salesman thread. I'm looking to get a '05 Mustang, I found the GT with the right color used with 6,500 miles. The dealer/salesman won't budge on the price. The price is the original sticker price. He wants to sell me a used car for the price of a new one. Not me but, he will find some blind, deaf and dumb sucker to buy it.

Rich