Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best .45 cal single stack mags?

js1130146

On 12/26/2016 at 10:45 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

Tripp cobra mags with Dawson base pads is all I use in ss 45. Not one issue in 10 years with Tripp. 

Of course, I cursed myself by posting I haven't had any issues with my Wilson mags because I started to have push feed issues with them in the past couple weeks. I'm reasonably certain it's an ammo or spring issue rather anything inherently wrong with the Wilson mags. I've already managed to rule out any gun issues. They've been very good mags for me. I just have to do some more testing once major match season calms down a bit to figure out if the new springs I put in them caused an issue or it was snarky ammo.

I also happily use Tripp Corey System 10mm mags for my SVI 1911 40.  I like having both the Wilson and Tripp mags so I can experiment if something goes odd.  Tripp customer service is another reason I keep coming back to them (via my annual spring replacement purchases).   They're very responsive and knowledgable when it comes to their magazines and 1911 pistols in general.  I've dealt with Aaron over there on troubleshooting some issues over the years and he's a great resource and has great sense of humor.

I won't use any other mags at this point other than the Wilson or Tripp.  I've been using the Tripp mags more than the Wilson mags just because I know I'll get crazy good customer service out of Tripp if I have any questions such as my now annual magazine replacement spring discussion with Aaron.  I'm told that Wilson has very good customer service also and the few times that I've emailed them questions, they've been very responsive so I'm set either way, I think.

Edited by ericjhuber

CMC PM/PM+, Tripp, & WC's all work reliably and have proven durable...for me.

Choosing high quality mags like those referenced in this thread is a solid start, but you still need to test to see what actually works.

17 minutes ago, Yeti said:

CMC PM/PM+, Tripp, & WC's all work reliably and have proven durable...for me.

Choosing high quality mags like those referenced in this thread is a solid start, but you still need to test to see what actually works.

Well I currently run CMC PM but the followers have started failing to lock back after a little over a year shooting ~2 matches a month. I don't really want to have to replace followers yearly. Just wondering what others were running and finding durable/reliable

54 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

Well I currently run CMC PM but the followers have started failing to lock back after a little over a year shooting ~2 matches a month. I don't really want to have to replace followers yearly. Just wondering what others were running and finding durable/reliable

Weak mag springs...which are exacerbating the problem?  Or the Devel style follower tilting?

+1 for Tripp Cobra Mags, they have been flawless for me.  Wilson and Checkmate have given me some issues after a couple years of use.  The other mags I like that are low cost is the Brownells mags.  They have been consistent and half the cost of the Tripp when they're on sale.  I have been using a mix of different brands of mags for a couple years, but I'm standardizing on the Brownells.

Call tripp, ask for the Cory mags or system mags and never worry again.  They take a 10 round mag, cut it down to fit in the box and make it really easy on the slide forward reloads.  

I wish i would have bought them two years before I did.  

Best bang for the buck for me has been CMC Shooting Stars..  I have a bunch of stainless metalforms from when I used to shoot limited with my single .. never had any problem with either... the always ran and still run... :)

Can't  go wrong for 20 bucks a pop :)

• 2 weeks later...