Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Single Stack Magwell Comparison

cheers623

Well...I hope this is helpful for those like me that are constantly OVER-ANALYZING their gear to improve their shooting!

So, I've been shooting Single Stack almost exclusively for the last 3 seasons. I've won every match of the last 30+ I've shot except 2015 and 2106 SS Nats and 3 club matches in the last season since switching to 9mm Minor. All three of those  club matches I had problems with my pistol running reliably. I mention this to provide perspective on my experience, so take it for what you will.

Specifically, I'm posting to share my experience with the issue of Magwells. 

I started out shooting SS using an SVI Aluminum magwell that i fitted myself. I loved it and still do. Feels great, pretty low profile relative to the frame of the pistol and have rarely had problems reliably seating mags in 9mm, .40sw, and .45ACP. I have had a number of MAJOR disasters in actually getting the mag in though...not necessarily the magwell's fault...but some exposed edges of the frame have proven tricky...YMMV

Switched to a Dawson Ice for 1911 and have enjoyed it. Feels good to load, very smooth and consistent. Looks a little crappy...my opinion...but performs well. EXCEPT...Using stiff magazines like Wilson, etc...I have had numerous problems reliably seating the mags. Both on and off the clock. It's so deep that your choice of basepad can really make or break this magwell's performance. By the way...I exclusively use Dawson base pads for whatever mag/caliber I'm running. Regardless...problems...

Just got a Dawson Aluminum IPSC 1911 magwell and....I'm in love. Thus far it's been no less reliable for consistently hitting my reloads...maybe even a little smoother...but it seems to be the best of all worlds. Seating any magazine is ZERO issue! Great ergos for me. Lighter than all of the others...A BIG DEAL when shooting 9mm SS pistols! I dunno...I can't say enough good things about it! 

I've attached photos that I hope help for those of you that are looking for one! The order of photos is: Dawson 1911 IPSC, Dawson Ice 1911, SVI. I've not used the TechWell versions and can't provide any input on them. They look like great magwells but the grips are a deal-breaker for me. Too heavy for SS minor 9mm pistols.

Hope this helps...this forum has been an invaluable asset for me and my improvement in the USPSA sport!

Cheers623

DVC

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

The description you gave of the IPSC was basically my decision to go with it.  I didn't have the time you did on all there but I handled several prior magwell prior and came to that conclusion (or something similar, easier seating, lighter, and smooth).

I'm currently looking at magwells for a new pair of 1911s I picked up. I'm basically set on either the dawson ipsc or the techwell but agree having to use their grips is making it probably a non starter as I want to run ds perman 19-20 grips. 

8 hours ago, Linkscoach said:I may have missed it. What pistol are you using this with? How's the fit?

I've used these Magwells on 3 STI Trojans in 9mm, .40, and .45ACP. All different vintages. Also used on 3 different Springfield Operators, including one from the custom shop that had the frame blended to an SV Single Stack magwell. I'm currently using the  Dawson IPSC version on a custom STI Duty One in 9mm. Hope that helps.

Cheers623

DVC

Is there a magwell that is compatible with the race ready caspian frame? I suck at reloading and the race ready frame (IMO) is useless. My reloading skills suck and I cant seem to get a smooth "fast" reload down for the life of me and in my head im convinced I "need" a bigger magwell. Also Im not sure if this is specific to this frame or all singlestacks, but unless I match the angle of the magazine to the angle of the grip perfectly, it seems to hang up and not want to smoothly insert into the gun. I use Metalform mags which work great out of this gun and drop freely but it seems that there is almost no room for error on the angle of the magazine when inserting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2016 at 7:54 AM, Shmella said:

Also Im not sure if this is specific to this frame or all singlestacks, but unless I match the angle of the magazine to the angle of the grip perfectly, it seems to hang up and not want to smoothly insert into the gun. I use Metalform mags which work great out of this gun and drop freely but it seems that there is almost no room for error on the angle of the magazine when inserting.

I practice hitting the rear or the feed lips against the rear taper of the magwell instead of trying to hit the hole dead center. I've found that this funnels the bullet tip right into the opening. Before, I was hitting every side of the magwell including the front, and had a lot of binding to the point that I was dropping mags because of it. This practice translated right into my double-stack reloads and everything has gotten smoother. 

Regarding the angle of SSTKs, I blend all my magwell openings into the frame using a set of files because it seems to be more forgiving. 

Shmella, call Caspian and ask if the two frames have the same magwell.  Their "double stack" is one in name only.  Their frame is the same width as a 1911 and the magwell looks to be the same as the race readay.  They can confirm whether it is or not. 

On 10/17/2016 at 2:11 PM, zzt said:

Shmella, call Caspian and ask if the two frames have the same magwell.  Their "double stack" is one in name only.  Their frame is the same width as a 1911 and the magwell looks to be the same as the race readay.  They can confirm whether it is or not. 

Caspian high capacity frame is thicker between the flats than a single stack frame, even the Race-Ready one. It might be the same width as a single stack frame with grips installed.

I'll measure when I get home for exact dimensions.

On 10/18/2016 at 2:41 PM, robertg5322 said:

Caspian high capacity frame is thicker between the flats than a single stack frame, even the Race-Ready one. It might be the same width as a single stack frame with grips installed.

I'll measure when I get home for exact dimensions.

Caspian High Cap frame measurement across grip flats: 1.045"

1911 Singlestack frame across flats (Kimber frame in case it matters): .76"

Singlestack across Derwood Mfg (Les Baer cut) grips: 1.263"

Caspian High Cap frontstrap to back measurement: 2.2236" (grip tape on frontstrap)

Singlestack frontstrap to back measurement: 2.070" (grip tape on front strap)

Edited by robertg5322

Anyone have any idea of how the ipsc magwell compares to a S&A magwell?  I have that on my 1911 right now and I am pretty quick with reloads but looking for something that may be a bit more forgiving when I am a little off on being lined up. Many a mags have been sacrificed to the ground when binding occurs. 

3 hours ago, thatllHappen said:

Anyone have any idea of how the ipsc magwell compares to a S&A magwell?  I have that on my 1911 right now and I am pretty quick with reloads but looking for something that may be a bit more forgiving when I am a little off on being lined up. Many a mags have been sacrificed to the ground when binding occurs. 

Without having the IPSC on hand, I can say the ones I've see are a bit wider side to side and a bit longer front to back. 

44 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

Without having the IPSC on hand, I can say the ones I've see are a bit wider side to side and a bit longer front to back. 

Thanks for the info. I guess with Dawson doing free shipping it is atleast checking out. 

5 hours ago, thatllHappen said:

I used an S&A for many years.   Switched to the Dawson IPSC and it's (cue the Disney song) a whole new world.  If you're already good at reloading with the S&A then you'll be nearly perfect with the IPSC.  I went with that instead if the ICE because I think magells can get too big, potentially causing seating issues and slowing downthe transition from basepad to grip, but that's only my theory not proven by real science.  I'm building a minor SS right now, and it will wear the IPSC as well.  

16 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

I used an S&A for many years.   Switched to the Dawson IPSC and it's (cue the Disney song) a whole new world.  If you're already good at reloading with the S&A then you'll be nearly perfect with the IPSC.  I went with that instead if the ICE because I think magells can get too big, potentially causing seating issues and slowing downthe transition from basepad to grip, but that's only my theory not proven by real science.  I'm building a minor SS right now, and it will wear the IPSC as well.  

Awesome! Thanks for that information! I agree with you on the thought that maxwells can get too big...I have seen some that look out of place.

9 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

They're weld-on, and you have to trim the grip frame to install them. Once you try them, you're kind of stuck with them. 

Yes, the frame needs to be shortened to Commander length but there is one that is not weld-on. 

On 23/10/2016 at 9:16 AM, thatllHappen said:

Awesome! Thanks for that information! I agree with you on the thought that maxwells can get too big...I have seen some that look out of place.

I think you will find the only real difference between ICE and IPSC (Classic Div) is outside dimension, as IPSC has an outside measurement of 35mm

IPSC Classic Division Supplementary Guidelines (1).pdf