Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade-Tech DOH Black Ice holster issue

Before I get jumped on about the search function; I have searched and searched but haven't come up with the answer.  Currently when my gun is in its holster it sits at roughly 2.5"-2.75" out from the inside belt.  For production I know I need it at 2" and this seems like a mile to go to be within regulations.

My question is,  when they measure the distance is it at the resting posotion or can I press in on the gun a bit to take up the slack and then measure? Because when I do that I can get it to within 2"..

I have already shimmed the bottom screw with a washer and am not even close. I have read that some heat the holster and bend it.  I have not shot my first match yet and don't really care to show up looking like a fool with my gear out of regs.  Here is a picture of how it measures out.   

rps20160919_181911.jpg

Of course you can't push in on it! The rule book is pretty clear. Either measure as worn or you can remove both belts and have it measured off the body.

Did you measure exactly as the rule book describes? Read that part again just to be sure. 

Can't blame a guy for asking ^_^. I did re-read the rules and found  appendix E2 which I had missed when I looked through earlier. Guess I'll try heating and bending, if I can't get it all the way then I'll look to the boss hanger. 

Thanks guys. 

The blade tech DOH sucks, no way around it. Try heating and bending first. I almost got dinged at a big match because I didn't read the rules... took off the DOH bracket to run the tek-lok directly on the holster. Sucked but only good option at the time.

I've gone to a BOSS hanger now, it's awesome.

My Blade Tech Black Ice DOH has joined my other "retired" holsters. In my "holster drawer" :)

I was very disappointed with mine.

I tried different mods to get it within IPSC rules. No luck. In my opinion it's just not suited to IPSC .

I use DAA Racemasters for IPSC. They are fully adjustable, work great and look great.

Last major USPSA event I attended I was hit with this, my holster was 2.2 inches and no bending I could do would get it at 2 inches with my belt setup. I had to go to the safety area and remove the DOH completely and just wore it at hip level. Luckily it didn't effect my performance, still wasn't happy though. I haven't touched the holster since June but I'll more then likely just use a heat gun to fix it as I don't feel a $50 dollar answer is the solution. But as for right now I'm shooting PCC which I no longer have to worry about that silly rule.

8 hours ago, 52314 said:

After heating and bending along with shimming this is what I ended up with.   Would this be acceptable or should I go at it more and allow more of a buffer? 

rps20160920_102206.jpg

2" is 2". If you are under 2" then you are good.

No way in heck I would buy a $50 hanger for a $50 holster. The DOH is fine and draws are more about perfecting the draw than perfecting the hanger!

Only issue I had was the flexing of the holster when drawing the gun which is why I switched to the boss hanger. If it doesn't bother you then stick with the DOH.

You will probably encounter some anal retentive person telling you it's illegal but hey since you are just starting off just run it.

If you start whooping ass then people will make a big issue about the 2".

• 2 months later...