Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camera setups?

CookieTheSwede

I use a GoPro Hero Session, mounting it like shown in the video.

Very easy to do, incredible good results!

https://gunbot.wordpress.com/2015/07/21/gopro-hero4-session-custom-hatcam-mount-for-shooting/

More info is here:

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/234784-cameras/

Edited by TangoShooter
additional info added

• 3 weeks later...

What mistakes do you want to see? POV cams are cool to watch or show someone what you saw, but a 3rd person POV camera that shows your entire body as you shoot the stage will tell you a lot more about your shooting. The biggest time wasters in a stage isn't the trigger pulling but everything else: movement, reloads, entering/exiting positions, etc.

I've seen a lot of go-pros mounted on tripods or held a little higher on a stick in the past, seems to do quite well. I've got just a cheap Sony video camera that I "borrowed" from the wife that I'll either toss on a tripod or ask a squadmate to hold and follow me.

Here's a reason to do both:

Ignore that the thumbnail shows only the 3rd person video...  my hat cam battery died on Stage 2 (5th stage shot).

Recording Stage 4 with only one or the other wouldn't have been nearly as fun!  :blink:

-Rich 

If you want the footage to improve, you need someone to film you or a camera on a tripod to catch you from head to toe.

I've tried the GoPro and Countour and honestly the $150 Pivothead glasses have everything else beat for 1st person. But wearing the camera teaches you nothing. It's just fun to show others.

Last USPSA match in them: (cuts to them 5 seconds into first stage)

1st person isn't great for becoming more competitive, but it is great for evaluating your gun handling.  I used my mine when I started and now occasionally to verify I was developing good habits and awareness.  Polaroid Cube is my weapon.  Cheap and mounts with a strong magnet. 

On 10/12/2016 at 5:23 PM, resortboarder said:

Mobius ActionCam = $59 on EBay. Mounted UNDER the brim of my hat with Velcro (included). Total unit is under 2oz so I can't even feel it. 

See my other videos of friends in 3rd person. Can't beat the price. 

Thanks for sharing, looks like a great option

The problem I have with the Monius is the same I had with my ContourHD and GoPro before switching to the Pivothead glasses.

Fisheye views are great for catching everything in the frame. But... 

They make everything appear slower that it is actually happening (sounds like BS but it's very true) and all the target unnaturally tiny and distant.

It's odd but the first person provided by the pivothead glasses always makes me motion sick. It doesn't happen with my goPro mounted on my head - maybe just enough motion in the glasses to make me sick - who knows.

I learn some things from the head mounted video but mostly it is fun to relive a run and share with friends and family who want to see it but don't have the time to sit and wait for my run.

9 hours ago, rowdyb said:

if you're looking to video to fix mistakes then you should be videoing your practice more than your matches in my opinion. and getting video of practice is much easier than a match.

I like to see both but I do learn more from practice.

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The problem I have with the Monius is the same I had with my ContourHD and GoPro before switching to the Pivothead glasses.

Fisheye views are great for catching everything in the frame. But... 

They make everything appear slower that it is actually happening (sounds like BS but it's very true) and all the target unnaturally tiny and distant.

I agree that targets look farther than they really are, but I don't get the motion sickness with a fisheye lens that I do with narrower FOVs. I also like the context it provides. 

As far as the camera goes, I like that mounting under the hat allows me to see my sights even when shooting through ports. With different cameras, your video is occasionally blocked when shooting through ports in solid walls. 

IMG_4925.JPG

24 minutes ago, resortboarder said:

With different cameras, your video is occasionally blocked when shooting through ports in solid walls. 

I guess you missed the part where the Pivothead camera is mounted right between the shooters eyes. 

Different approaches to similar POVs - almost directly down the sights. 

Yours is around $100 cheaper which is great, but the glasses do record better audio, I prefer the realistic lens angle, and I can see if the record light's blinking without removing them.

(I posted a video shot using them, above)

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I guess you missed the part where the Pivothead camera is mounted right between the shooters eyes. 

Didn't miss that. I like the Pivotheads POV. My last camera was a set of iKam glasses as well. Pivothead improved on the video and audio though and is a great option. 

With the Mobius you have control over how wide the angle. I use mine at the widest setting but you can narrow the FOV in the settings. You can also turn on/off the blinking recording reminder if it's distracting. If you want to watch your hammer falling (only joking), there's a 720P/60FPS mode with narrow FOV. 

Edited by resortboarder

On 10/12/2016 at 3:23 PM, resortboarder said:

Mobius ActionCam = $59 on EBay. Mounted UNDER the brim of my hat with Velcro (included). Total unit is under 2oz so I can't even feel it. 

You have a link for $59?  I only see one for $67.95.  Thanks

The 1st person camera I have been using lately is the VW890 and is also mounted under my hat brim, right above my dominant eye.

I modified 3D models for a GoPro mount, hat clip and an 808 Camera caddy to work up a totally customized mount and printed it in PLA on my 3D printer.

$32 including shipping from eBay: http:// www.ebay.com/itm/231866368486

c574a189fd72c1133f6b32e81422eea4.jpg

I do actually use 720p @ 60 fps and can see my hammer fall on my 1911 or the striker release on my XDM and the file is only slightly larger than 720p @ 30 fps. I think it allows me to get slightly better timing in Shot Coach, but I really like how smooth the raw video is out of the camera.

All in all, I'm really happy with the step up in quality from my first camera; a narrow FOV, standard-def, $8 "808" camera mounted the same way under my hat.

-Rich

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk