Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mentally Worn-Out

PaulW

I have worked my butt of to get to where I am at, and now I seem to be at a crossroads.  I just feel like I lost that killer instinct I once had.  I shoot, just to shoot, but have shot some of my worst mental matches lately and don't know what has happened.  Some people say, take a break, but I'm not sure I should or if I should just keep shooting.  

Maybe a change of pace would help.  Try something different like IDPA, ICORE, maybe a 3 gun match.  The different rules and equipment would be a challenge and the skills you have already developed are likely to be translatable, after an adjustment period, to the new game.  This assumes you aren't already doing those things.  Just a thought.

Good luck,

-jhgtyre

Take a break - like a couple months.  I used to go through this playing music in school.  I'd gladly put the horn down for three months in the Summer.  Come Fall, everything felt great again.  A good skill set just doesn't fade that quickly - but the bad stuff does.  That's the cool thing about the occasional, extended break.  Think of it as a mental housecleaning.  

I talked to a top clays shooter and he had the same problem.  He just had to quit shooting competitively.  He went too far.  IMHO, I'd quit picking the scab and give yourself time to heal.  I think you'll come back stronger, not weaker.

E

I'm no expert on the mental aspects of competition, but after reading your post, I think a short break might be in order.  If for no other reason than to learn something about yourself and whether a break helps you or not in these situations.  Might be a good thing to know for future reference.  You've no doubt put in a ton of work to get to your current level.  The skills you've acquired will not completely erode in the short term.  With the amount of dry and live fire practicing you're doing (if the amounts are anywhere near what I suspect), just laying off for a few days or a week may be just the ticket you need to get your mind right.  If taking a short break doesn't help, then you've not lost much of the time available, and necessary, to "work through" the problem, which would seem to be the only other alternative.  Just my two cents.

Find the fun.  

Are you shooting at matches because others expect you to be there?

Do you feel pressure to shoot well becasue others expect it?

Boil it down, see what it is that is causing you discomfort.  It could be something as simple as not liking to get up early in the morning....lack of sleep...poor diet...new time constrainst...fading eye sight...muscle soreness.  Try to get the the route of the problem.

I went through the same feelings once. I told everyone that I was going to take a break and really intended to, but kept going matches out of habit.  What ended up happening was that I stopped trying so hard, so I started shooting better than ever.

It may be a different deal from yours, but when you place too much importance on a "recreational" activity, you end up working for it, instead of enjoying it.

Take up fishing. It's so mind-boggling boring that you'll happily run back to shooting.  :)

PaulW

This is Daniel Cook, Please doen't quit!! You've made it!! you are now a GM so just kick in the cruise control and have fun! Try limited or some other division for a change of pace maby but we ( the local shooters) would miss you a great deal!. Remember when Joe Kessler left? Well you would be missed a lot more. When I started shooting this game I took it to serious and I got to the point were I was ready to Quit, I was on edge all the time and it wasn't much fun anymore. Then that day at Orl. that I got hit in the leg happened and you and I got into it. That evening I realized what an ass I had made of myself and came to the conclusion that I had to get my priorities straight or get the hell out. Well, as you can tell I prioritized myself and I started improving faster and people doen't mind shooting with me, go figure. Anyway, DO NOT QUIT!! Just prioritize.

Paul - one of our local top shooters is absolutely positively convinced that time off improves his shooting and attitudes.  He regularly disappears from the scene for a couple of months.

And I have to say, his attitude is MUCH improved when he returns.  

Daniel.....Thanks for the encouragement, no worries however because "quit" never passed my mind.  I don't have it in me to quit.  Summer is almost here and I think I will take a break this summer.  What I mean is I just won't shoot 10 matches a month but more like 3 or 4.  This will keep me interested but not wear me out.  And as a matter of fact I talked to Joe K. the other day and he say we have not seen the last of him, just not sure where or when.  Area 6 is just around the corner and I will do the best I can do.  I may not be as preparred as I would like but I'll be there. I almost decided not to shoot Area 6 and I thought that would really be punking out, which I don't do.  Thanks for everyone's input.

Paul

I get like that a lot. In fact I am like like right now, even with a 6 month layoff because I live in OH land of cold and snow. If you can bring out the "killer" instinct for appx 2 minutes during the match you will be fine

What I have done is treat club matches as fun. I go try new things in competition, joke with my peers, get away from work, and to be honest, like you I cannot quit. I love the sport and have a committment to it and myself. I think it is normal to get like that and if time off works for you go for it.

I play the shoot Limited or Production game. Or I go shoot pins, plates or rifles.

I also play in a band and shot very few club matches one year. I am in another right now and won't do that again. Shooting at my highest performance level, in a big match is something I am obsessed with right now. As you know that is a very lofty goal. Good luck and good shooting. "Success is a journey not a destination"

Paul,

I know exactly where you were, mentally, when you wrote this post. I have been there for about three months now. Just when everything starts to gel and come together, frustration sets in at the fact that, though we know what we are doing, we don't quite understand why. Perspective is a mean creature. When you are right there doing something, your perspective and focus are extremely narrow. Once one takes a step back and looks at everything, the narrow focus is spread throughout all aspects, as is your perspective. Taking a look at all things, it seems to get a bit more simple to focus on the little things.  Attention can be paid to the things that matter, and things that don't are easily ignored. I have been far enough into this narrow focus that I have actually decided to sell my .40 and move on. Area 6 will come and go, and no matter how I do, I will have done only as good as I have prepared. That isn't a glass is half empty statement if you take a good look at it. What that means to me is that by taking the last month basically and clearing all of the little negatives that have haunted me, I am able to focus on the things that matter. By taking a step backward from the rock that I am pushing, called improvement, I can see where it is that I need to apply pressure so that it goes where I want it to. Take a step back from yours and see where it leads you. I have decided that pushing that rock is not so bad. Competitiveness inside me makes me want to get better just for the sake of it. Maybe one day I will have my Limited GM card just to prove my point; but for now, I am committed to doing the best that I can in life and shooting to the best of my ability when I am at the range. No matter what.

Well it's now the day before I leave for Area 6 and thankfully I'm starting to get excited.  I haven't done much preperation but I know that taking some time off won't hurt me, it actually may help.  Going tonight to shoot and just watch the litle dot do her dance.  Once Area 6 is over I am going to shoot, just not as much as I was.  I'm getting hungry for competition again, I thrive on competition, so thats a good thing.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Area 6 match Paul. As you stated, I haven't touched a gun (other than carry) in about three weeks. To answer your question about selling the .40, well, by doing so it will force me to take some time to myself and give me the oportunity to build what I really want should I want to do so. The time to myself is the important thing right now. Like you I am a competitive person. I want to get better because I can. I noticed yesterday (the first time I touched a gun in those three weeks) at a practice session with a friend that my draw has naturally gained .3 to .4 in time because I am relaxed. Three weeks ago my draw was at 1.7 to 1.8 seconds first shot anywhere from 7  to 15 yards with a good shot. Yesterday my FIRST draw was 1.49 at 10 yards with an A. Not hyperspeed by any means, but it shows that time off and relaxation helps. I got it down to around 1.25 by the end of my 200 round practice session. I feel good about selling the gun as it will free up some money to get a gun better suited for me. No I am not going open. ;-) I like Limited and hope to be up there with the 70 some GM's in Limited. Who knows, I might just make it. I would like to take you up on your offer of meeting at the range one day. We can talk about it. I would like to publicly thank you for giving as much back as you do. It is appreciated. See you in Jax.

Shooting 3 to 4 matches a month isn't taking a break in my mind, I'm lucky to get that many matches in a busy month!

From your earlier comments, I'd put the guns down after Area 6 for a few weeks, and don't touch them until you can't stand it.... then when you go back to shooting, it'll be because you want to. Believe it or not, your life won't end without shooting (blasphemy!), and you probably won't lose a step when you come back to it.

Take a break.

Splits,

There are a lot of good suggestions here.  But, if you don't address the route cause, then you will just be treating the symptoms.  

Bill Schwab may have hit on it with the making GM and goal setting thing.  Kinda like when you hear of some guy retiring from the job he has had for the last 30 years...then kicking the bucket six months later.  Maybe it is a "now what" problem.

Of course, that may have nothing to do with it.  You will have to discover that for yourself.  Until you do, I fear that the problem will only be masked at best.

Weeehaaa, just got back from Area 6, and to be honest I'm more than a little pissed off.  No, nothing about the match or anyone, other than maybe myself.  I had a little of everything at this match.  I had a couple of good stages, bad stages, bad luck, dump luck, and dumb things happen.  But to be honest with you I was right there.  Yes I had some mikes, but it was not from going to fast, just not calling every shot.  I was a little lazy and not sure what to expect.  I was not prepared at all, but time wise I was right there.  I am ready to assert myself once again and am committed to making a run for it....lets see where I can go.  One thing I am sure of, I want to either re-do my gun or buy a new one, one that is lighter and shorter.  I have been pondering this for a while now and know that it would help.  I am running a Dawson #2 comp, it works, but it's just way to long.  And I want a lighter gun so the gun has a chance to keep up with me.  Titanium comp...maybe.  I am fired up and HATE knowing that I had the tools and talent but got sucked into this lull.  I learned a lot though, so it was not all in vain.