Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing powder from the 650 hopper correctly.

Currently I remove the fail safe rid, pull the pins on the tool head, then pick the whole thing up and dump it back into the can. I have broken two of the bushings on the fail safe arm now. Am I doing it wrong? Seems excessive to break the bushing every 7-8 times I empty the hopper.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

I break it when I put the fail safe rod back on the press and push the arm forward to get the bushing correctly into place

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

Sand the bushing lightly. It will ease the removal. No more breakage. I've never broken one, but the new ones can be tight until you break (pun intended;)) it in.

Chuck, I think he means the shoulder washer #18086

1 minute ago, warpspeed said:

Has anyone used the Drain n Change tool ?  http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1347

I got one off a prize table. Want it? I never thought trying to change powder bars with stuff in the hopper made sense. Disconnect rod, pull 2 pins and dump the powder into a funnel seems to have lower probabilities of dumping powder where it doesn't belong. ;)

yeah I can't see how that drain tool works without a bit of mess. I solved this problem by switching to the lee auto drum on my 650. it's cheap, has removable powder drums (so I can have one setup for every load) and it has an on/off switch. so to dump powder you just turn it off, lift up the hopper and dump it out. even better is it doesn't have a failsafe rod. :)

8 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

What is going on here?  Disconnect fs rod, remove bolts, dump powder.  Easy, simple, intuititve. 

Exactly. The rod is loose enough to pop out of place if adjusted correctly. Perhaps that is the problem the OP is having? You have to tighten the nut down on the spring pretty good for proper adjustment. Once adjusted, the rod pops out of place very easy. I never pull the pins to dump the powder though, I just loosen the two bolts and remove the powder measure. Guess pulling the two pins would be easier.

22 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Why are you removing the powder?

Man goes to doctor complaining that everytime he raises his arm at a certain angle, a sharp, stabbing pain runs down his spine...Doc tells him to stop raising his arm at that angle...

Powder left in hopper stains the plastic.

I am removing the rod entirely which I guess I do not have to do, I will just remove the rod from the hopper going forward. In my defense I have only had the thing for about 2 months!

9 hours ago, ArrDave said:

I am removing the rod entirely which I guess I do not have to do, I will just remove the rod from the hopper going forward. In my defense I have only had the thing for about 2 months!

You need to pop the rod out from the metal bracket where the white delrin bushing is. If you lift the assembly slightly with the handle, the white block can be pushed downward through the hole and then slide out of the way. As far as I can tell, the spacer thing is not supposed to slide directly out of the metal bracket without first being popped down and out.

I was going to explain how the white bushing needs to slide out of the bottom of the metal bracket and not horizontally through the slot intended for the FS rod only.  mikeinctown beat me to it. 

I struggled with the same thing when I first got my press and ended up screwing the wing-nut off about a dozen times before it clicked that I should just pull it down.

Ok I'm misunderstanding, the little white bushing inside the bracket does come down easily enough out of the bracket.  Where it's snapping is where I'm putting the rod back on the press as it does not slide up.  I was taking the above to mean leave that bushing in the bracket, run the tool head up a little and you can fish the arm out of the powder measure while leaving the bushing in the bracket.  Is that nto what folks are recommending?

And the bushing breaks after re-installing it  once the arm is removed, it splits where the narrow part comes out of the fat part.  Happened twice now.  I have my press in my garage and I was under the impression that leaving powder in it would be a bad thing given GA Heat and humidity causing clumping, etc.  

Edited by ArrDave

That makes no sense. How does it slide out easily but not back up without breaking? Are you raising the ram of the press so that there is no spring tension when you pop it out, and again when you have to pop it back up into the hole?

In the photo the Op posted here shows the broken part. To remove, you raise the ram so that the bushing can be pushed down through the hole and the rod slides through that narrower part. The narrower part looks like the busing may slide through it, but it does not. When you reinstall, you still need the ram raised so that there is no spring tension. then pop the bushing back up through the hole. It should just slide in and out fairly easy.

Edited by mikeinctown

5 hours ago, mikeinctown said:

That makes no sense. How does it slide out easily but not back up without breaking? Are you raising the ram of the press so that there is no spring tension when you pop it out, and again when you have to pop it back up into the hole?

In the photo the Op posted here shows the broken part. To remove, you raise the ram so that the bushing can be pushed down through the hole and the rod slides through that narrower part. The narrower part looks like the busing may slide through it, but it does not. When you reinstall, you still need the ram raised so that there is no spring tension. then pop the bushing back up through the hole. It should just slide in and out fairly easy.

I wasn't as clear as I should have been.  I remove the fail safe arm entirely to get the tool head off, which requires removing the bushing from the bracket.  

I can push the bushing out of the bracket for the fail safe arm for removal, but when I go to reinsert it into the bracket on re installation is when it breaks.  What I've been doing to reinstall the bushing is putting it under the bracket then pushing the handle on the press forward while pushing up, it usually pops into place, the violent stop from the wide part of the bottom of the bushing hitting the bracket causes the skinny part to separate.  I cannot push the bushing up through the bracket by hand, even raising the ram a bit - they don't slide in.  I noticed the lip at the top of the bushing last night when I put the new replacement one on.  Sounds like it's OK to remove that lip with sandpaper.  Next time I remove the bar I will 

54 minutes ago, ArrDave said:

I wasn't as clear as I should have been.  I remove the fail safe arm entirely to get the tool head off, which requires removing the bushing from the bracket.  

I can push the bushing out of the bracket for the fail safe arm for removal, but when I go to reinsert it into the bracket on re installation is when it breaks.  What I've been doing to reinstall the bushing is putting it under the bracket then pushing the handle on the press forward while pushing up, it usually pops into place, the violent stop from the wide part of the bottom of the bushing hitting the bracket causes the skinny part to separate.  I cannot push the bushing up through the bracket by hand, even raising the ram a bit - they don't slide in.  I noticed the lip at the top of the bushing last night when I put the new replacement one on.  Sounds like it's OK to remove that lip with sandpaper.  Next time I remove the bar I will 

Just spread the lips a tad. Mine pops in and out from the bottom with just a slight catch. Never pops out while using the press.

Spreading the lips fixed my issue seating the bushing

On 8/31/2016 at 7:55 AM, juristrosins said:
2 hours ago, ArrDave said:

Spreading the lips fixed my issue seating the bushing

I'm a newb here and as an outsider, this thread should be rated XXX. :lol:  Seriously though, I recently purchased a Square Deal B  to reload 9mm and this seems pretty easy.  Not sure about the other presses but I just release the set screw at the bottom of the hopper's funnel neck, remove the hopper and pour the powder in it's native container, blow out the rest with compressed air and move on.