Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accu shadow bushing vs CGW 10x bushing

Nimitz

Anyone know if an apples to apples comparison has ever been done to see if there is any real accuracy performance difference? I've seen plenty of debate but can't find anyone that has actually compared them side by side .... Thx

not sure how one could do this. wouldn't you have to take a stock shadow, shoot it. install the cgw bushing, shoot it. then take the cgw bushing out and get the slide  milled for the accu bushing and shoot it. which with the barrel fitting i'm not sure would really work out.

i don't think shooting three separate guns side by side would really do it either...

N, I've tested neither, because either of those mods would render my TS ineligible for certain competitions.  What I did do was have a custom bushing machined out of hard tool steel.  Externally it is the same as the stock TS bushing, and you cannot tell the difference.  It is pressed in and pinned.  Internally, the shape varies a little from stock in that the ID is less than .001" larger than the OD of the barrel and the rear profile was changed to accommodate the motion of the barrel during cycling.

Accuracy is astounding.  I get same-hole groups (from a rest) at 15 yards while the best my stock, original TS upper can do is one-hole groups at 15 yards (under 1" outside-to-outside).  This particular upper shot horribly with 3-4" groups at 15.  ID of the bushing was .008" larger than the barrel OD.  That's why I went the custom bushing route.  Total cost was $80.

BTW, there is such a thing as too tight.  Initially we approached this 1911 style and it was too tight.  Action was slowed.  The CZ's need a little more room, especially where the barrel cams up when gong into battery.

Since one is do it yourself and the other you need to send to CZC I was just wondering if there was any noticeable accuracy difference to warrent having to send the gun to get worked on ....

while not perfect, if you have 2 identical shadows and setup one with each bushing it might be close enough ...

I believe the issue is that 2 different Shadows will not be identical. So it is though to come up with a control for any experiment. CZs in general tend to vary a bit from the factory. If the factory bushing is tight a pistol can gain less from a bushing upgrade. If the factory bushing is looser a pistol can gain more from a bushing upgrade.

I shoot with 2 guys who have Accu-Shadows. They laughed at me when I told them about this new CGW bushing. After I installed mine into my plain Shadow they don't laugh any longer cause I am wearing their ass out with it. No, this is not a scientific experiment but it sure shut them up. My gun went from 3" groups at 25 to all holes touching. It was just the edge I was missing competing against these 2 "legends" and I love it.

Edited by bowenbuilt

There is a thread on the CZ forum when these first came out where a guy installed the 10x and posted before and after pics and the difference was pretty amazing.  Typical CZ group first and then every hole touching eachother kind of group.  If that kind of improvement is 'typical' with the 10x I don't see any need to spend $350 and 10 weeks to go the CZC route ... Just my oponion .....

I put a CGW bushing in my Tactical Sport. Wow ,first I realized my TS bushing was literally worn out, metal was being consumed,,yes barrel was sloppy, CGW Bushing fixed it right up

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just checked the OD of my barrel and it came in at .550".  Their website said it works on .504"barrels ...not sure my mine is so different ... I just have the standard barrel for the SP-01 Shadow ...

15 hours ago, Nimitz said:

Yeah, talked with CGW yesterday and they put me on the right one ..... 50 yd 1" groups here I come......... :)

LOL I'm probably going to be so nervous at my first match that I'll be happy to hit any part of the target and not be DQ for breaking some safety rule.

On 8/28/2016 at 6:38 AM, bowenbuilt said:

I shoot with 2 guys who have Accu-Shadows. They laughed at me when I told them about this new CGW bushing. After I installed mine into my plain Shadow they don't laugh any longer cause I am wearing their ass out with it. No, this is not a scientific experiment but it sure shut them up. My gun went from 3" groups at 25 to all holes touching. It was just the edge I was missing competing against these 2 "legends" and I love it.

I'm not sure what you are saying?  They were beating you with their Accu Shadows, but now you are beating them by installing the CGW bushing that took you from 3" groups at 25 yards to maybe 1" groups?

8 hours ago, mikeinctown said:

LOL I'm probably going to be so nervous at my first match that I'll be happy to hit any part of the target and not be DQ for breaking some safety rule.

Don't sweat it ... My first match was Jan 2012 ... Out of 47 shooters I finshed ... 47th.  For a 155 rd CoF I had 18 Mikes & 27 Deltas .... Roll forward to last month where I got my Steel Challenge GM card ... Of course I didn't have a 10x bushing in my Shadow at that time ... :)

46 minutes ago, JGus said:

I'm not sure what you are saying?  They were beating you with their Accu Shadows, but now you are beating them by installing the CGW bushing that took you from 3" groups at 25 yards to maybe 1" groups?

I really don't know how I could say it any different. We were always very close but both of them would edge ahead of me just about every time we competed. Especially on the distant targets. What else do you want to know?

5 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

I really don't know how I could say it any different. We were always very close but both of them would edge ahead of me just about every time we competed. Especially on the distant targets. What else do you want to know?

I think it's just surprising that a 2 inch difference at 25 yards is now allowing you beat out competiton. Not saying it's not possible or that there aren't other mental benefits. Just interesting since at even closer distances, the difference in accuracy would be less and less.

In the end who cares. If you're better today than you were yesterday, that's the only thing that matters.

12 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

Don't take it the wrong way.  Not being disrespectful.  If you were shooting 3" groups at 25 yards and now putting down 1" groups at 25 yards, you already had some serious shooting skills to begin with.  CGW is great and I use a lot of their products in my Shadows, but I'd say it's more likely your improving skill level allowing you to beat the other guys. not the CGW bushing.

The bushing that CZ uses in their pistols are soft and will wear.  That is triply true if you use an extended barrel with a comp on the end.  That is why I had a custom tool steel bushing made.

My TS will currently shoot 2" groups at 25 yards.  As soon as the Steel Challenge Championship is over at the end of September, it is going down to CGW for refinement, slide lightening, thumb rest and 10X bushing.  I'm turning it into a dedicated Steel Challenge gun and Minor Open gun (without comp).  I want the additional accuracy, because the bonus target at our outlaw matches requires hitting a 1" diameter steel disk at either 15 or 25 yards, depending on course design.  After talking with David a couple of times, I'm convinced his bushing is as good as the custom ones I've had made, and it's less expensive.

And JGus, I can hit that target at 25 yards 5 times out of ten in rapid fire with my Open 22 and my custom 45, but not with my TS.  So yes, the bushing can be the winning element.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update about the CGW 10X bushing. The old bushing came out fine with a socket and a couple sharp raps. The new bushing went in snug after sitting in the freezer over night. 

As far as accuracy, I can put 10 out of 10 shots into a 6 inch plate freestyle consistently at 25 yards. The groups have most definitely tightened up. Today I put 13 out of 15 into a 6 inch plate at 50 yards freestyle. It put a smile on my face for 60$. It will help you find where your sights are really set!

• 1 year later...