Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC overall finishes

RJH

Now that some of you are starting to shoot some PCC, how are they faring against the other divisions in the overalls?  Is pcc the new dominate force, making open shooters cry, or just a glorified Carry Optics gun?  I am wondering because weather permitting I am going to shoot PCC this weekend and need to know if I should start talking trash now, or if I better hold off till the results are in.  :-)   But in all seriousness, how are they measuring up?  

My second month as a dedicated PCC. I think the answer to your question is that it depends. As a Super Senior with not the greatest eyesight it has been beneficial. I use an Aimpoint and the accuracy and stability of the rifle lets me make more difficult shots with less worry, and shoot a bunch of A's. Additionally, I can engage from longer distances (sometimes) which means I don't have to move as far.

Can I beat Open gun shooters? No. Can I let some of the others know I am around, definitely.

Last match I was 9th out of 44 shooters. 

Edited by Gary Stevens

It depends on the stages and who shows up. Making PCC minor only has a lot to do with that.

I was about a percent away from HOA at the last match I shot and I am admittedly weak and untrained with a carbine. I have about 500 rounds through my PCC. 

I think overall only matters if you don't have enough shooters in your division to get a good idea of how you did.

Around here PCC shooters have not been at or near the top of the overall, but I don't really care. I only pay attention to the handgun results in the overall because I have some rule of thumb guesstimates about how much faster a shooter of similar ability should be with a limited or open gun compared to a SS or prod shooter.

I've only shot one.  1st place pistol was 58% of the PCC winner.  There were a lot of long shots on paper and some strong/weak hand shooting at a pretty good distance.  Doesn't mean anything...but I'm still smack talking, and they were still calling me a cheater.  All in good fun.

PCC has taken first overall at a few uspsa-style steel matches at two clubs near me.  i was actually one of those 1st's (out of ~70) and then at the next actual uspsa match i was 16th (out of ~60) in open.  frankly i didn't think i did anything that special when i got 1st and thought i shot a little better than 16th, so who knows.

Second time shooting PCC locally. Finished 10th of 80 shooters. HOA on the classifier. Gun ran smooth for once and with the range of the carbine i was experimenting with different approaches to the some of the longer stages that i would not have chosen with a pistol. Definitely requires some new thinking on the breakdowns.

Things i've noticed immediately:

1. i can take longer shots more comfortably so sometimes this reduces my amount of shooting positions or overall movement.

2. there is a slight amount of reduced mobility/agility with respect to some of the weird contorted shots the some stage designers like to put in. things like super deep leans, round the corner or tiny or ground level porthole stuff. I imagine 3-gunners have this sorted out but they might not get some of the silly deep lean stuff in thier stages.