Mike62

1 Point Down = 1 Second  

169 members have voted

1. 1. 1 Point Down = 1 Second

• I am in favor of the change to 1 Point Down = 1 Second
    • I am NOT in favor of the change to 1 Point Down = 1 Second
    • Don't care either way

14 minutes ago, IronArcher said:

And yet USPSA is leading with carry optics..... from the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree... and they are doing a great job. (by the way, I agree that USPSA should change the name to "production optics")

Edited by S391

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet CO would have the same <10% participation that CCP, CDP, and REV have. Most people are set in their division and that's where they'll stay. I like shooting all divisions but there's no one to compete against unless you're in SSP/ESP. 

1 hour ago, racknrider said:

I bet CO would have the same <10% participation that CCP, CDP, and REV have. Most people are set in their division and that's where they'll stay. I like shooting all divisions but there's no one to compete against unless you're in SSP/ESP. 

I agree with you if you're talking about right now... But I think it's going to grow as shooters get older and optics get smaller / better.

On 9/6/2016 at 5:59 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

I wonder how many use USPSA for their competition juices and just play around at IDPA?

At the match I do stats at.... A lot of the crossovers are there just for some fun trigger time. They even take penalty calls in stride. Lot of fun to watch them try "our way". And yeah, they tend to be much younger than most of the group.

I bet the IDPA leadership will be making announcement tomorrow at the end of the 2016 Nationals.  

My guess would be at least 2 of the following 3:

1. Starting in 2017, 1 point = 1 sec

2. There will be fault lines in stages (maybe not identical to what USPSA has)

3. You can slide lock reload anywhere in the CoF 

5 minutes ago, JusticeOfToren said:

I bet the IDPA leadership will be making announcement tomorrow at the end of the 2016 Nationals.  

My guess would be at least 2 of the following 3:

I would be in favor of #2 and #3.

Half the time the ROs aren't even clear on the reloading rules and fault lines would reduce the subjectivity of cover calls.

5 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

I would be in favor of #2 and #3.

Half the time the ROs aren't even clear on the reloading rules and fault lines would reduce the subjectivity of cover calls.

I think most likely it is mandatory #1 plus either #2 or #3, or all 3.  I know everyone just want the nice things without their consequences :) 

1 pt = 1 sec gonna mean make up shots like crazy?

you could make up a -1 in .5 sec and be better off. 

I know I'll be more likely to make up any called bad shots. I mean, if you think you got  -3 you have 3 sec to make up with a -0 and break even. The good shooters aren't even gonna need a third of that!  

This rule is gonna seperate the winners from the losers even more cause everyone either makes a bad shoot here and there or they go so slow they're not in the running.  

The top scorers already shoot fast and accurate. Then you add in the make ups on -3 or misses, again which the better shooters (EX and up) can do better than the SS and down, the divide is only gonna be worse.  For instance, I like hard shots. I believe myself to be a good shot.  And I know that the hard shots are gonna give everyone problems but I'm confident I can do them better than most. (We're talking non pros).  So, if I feel I've made a bad shot, I should be able call it and make it up faster than others. Which just makes the gap larger.  Assuming I'm good at calling shots, and I am a good shot that can shoot fast, but you get the idea!  

Edited by B_RAD

Also, I live near HQ and I've heard some talk about the RWR going away. Supposedly it's because the gamers are gaming and it's an advantage to them. Is it true? IDK.

If it is true, does that mean slide lock anywhere is comming and it'll be the only way to reload? Again, IDK?  But to echo my previous post, the new pts down/time rule and no RWR will only encourage more dumping. 

Cause gamers gonna game!

Edited by B_RAD

Always wondered how one game it seems most avoid slide lock reloads whenever possible because you lose time. and the other thinks slide lock reloads should be the preferred method....cause getting the gun reloaded faster and never running it dry "will get you killed on the streets"...

Done deal, the only question is when it will be applied.  Ought to be immediately after 2016 Nationals, but I doubt they have the Classifier figured out.

Needed but not likely.

Not a chance.

+  I've heard some talk about the RWR going away

Unlikely.  Required in the Classifier.  If somebody can RWR fast enough to gain by it, I am all for him.  The only use most people make of it is if they have missed a mover's activator with their third from the last shot in the gun.

39 minutes ago, IronArcher said:

Always wondered how one game it seems most avoid slide lock reloads whenever possible because you lose time. and the other thinks slide lock reloads should be the preferred method....cause getting the gun reloaded faster and never running it dry "will get you killed on the streets"...

I really believe half of their rules are just whatever the opposite of the other sport does. 

Which I can understand. If it's the same then why not just shoot one sport!  That and the "spirt" of the sport is somewhat different. The only beef I have is that things that happen in the COF would not be taught or encouraged in a SD training class by any of the founders of the sport!

Edited by B_RAD

I sure can see both points of view.  I do think the Rwr should for sure stay. As a CDP guy I use it often and it has paid off consistently.  

As far as the point value change goes.  I suppose it only matters if we change how we shoot because of it.  If everyone shoots the same average points down as they did before they will end up finishing matches in the same place as before.

Of course I am a weirdo anyway since I like USPSA and IDPA almost exactly as much though I have enjoyed more shooting success in IDPA.  I just like to see the slide move no matter what game I am playing :)

• 3 months later...
On 12/19/2016 at 4:29 PM, Peterock said:

Not a fan of 1 pt= 1sec as I feel it will slow the sport down even more.  I would rather see IDPA add a carry optic division.

Sorry if I offend anyone but I think that's what they want to do is slow it down so the older guys can keep up.    I am with you on the carry optics class they should have done that instead of a PCC class.  Carry otics is the craze now with the Glock, Springfield, and Smith and Wesson optic ready pistols.

1 hour ago, JAM said:

Sorry if I offend anyone but I think that's what they want to do is slow it down so the older guys can keep up.  

I have know idea why they do what they do. 

One of the Ben Stoeger USPSA podcasts has an interesting discussion about speed at matches. He said his focus is 100% on making the shots and his speed "is what it is" and feels slow at matches , the other GM types agreed, conclusion was that winning big matches is about consistency and not about stage wins. Point being that I think the 1 sec per point thing might make things a bit more like the situation where you just can't afford to blow it due to good competition. If so, fears of the competition becoming less interesting may not bear fruit. 

This is not intended to imply that I give a shit whether or not they change to 1 point per second. Just a thought, speed and accuracy , and consistency. 

59 minutes ago, Peterock said:

Cost of suitable optics is coming down as the category grows as well.

Not hearing great things about reliability of slide mounted optics. Perhaps the few folks I've heard from were just unlucky ?