Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

completely custom pistol barrel?

cpa5oh

Does anyone make completely custom pistol barrels? I'd want to send an example and have a duplicate made with one change (a rib, or whatever you'd call it, like Schuemann puts on the top of some of their barrels). Cost wouldn't be an issue - I'd happily pay whatever the maker asked for.

I have not.  But I own a 2011 without a sight tracker and recently shot a sight tracker and it was a big improvement (my opinion).  Still like my Tactical Sports better, and if it cost under $2K to have a barrel made I'd still be under the cost of a 2011 so...

Sight Trackers are usually 5.4" long, so the added sight radius helps.  You cannot get a long slide for a TS, so what would be the benefit?  For a 5" gun the "advantage" of a sight tracker is that since it is affixed directly to the slide, you eliminate play in the bushing or barrel/slide fit and are more accurate.  I can tell you that is not the case, in my experience.  If your slide/barrel fit and all the other lockup point are not fit properly and closely, the barrel will jump upon firing and you still won't know where the shot would go.

Having already done so, I can tell you for a lead pipe cinch that you can drastically improve the accuracy of your TS, or any similar CZ by fitting a custom bushing.  For example, I made an Open upper for my TS and had the devil of a time trying to improve accuracy.  With the comp on the barrel it was even worse.  I was getting 6-8" groups at 15 yards.  There was .008" difference between the barrel OD and the bushing ID.  I had a new, custom one made, but it didn't work.  It was too tight and had to be reprofiled for the TS (we were thinking 1911).  The second one came out perfect.  Without the comp the same barrel now shot same hole groups at 15 yards.  I next had a custom bushing made for the two comps so it would match the barrel threads better.  With the comp bushing and Loctite, the barrel/comp shot to one very small hole at 15 yards.

So my suggestion would be to have a custom bushing made.  It will cost you about $100 and is well worth it.  If you are not concerned about meeting requirements for some shoots, you can buy the Cajun Gunworks bushing and be done with it.

Edited by zzt

Thanks ZZT.  I already have the Cajun bushing in both of my TS's.  For a while I had the Cajun bushing in only one of my TS's - I noticed no difference in accuracy between the two in practical shooting (didn't bag the guns and look for small differences in groups).  

You lost me on the sight tracker discussion when you said "since it affixed directly to the slide" - we may be talking about completely different things.  I'm talking about the sight being attached to the end of the barrel, not the slide.  And the 2011 with the sight attached to the end of the barrel was an STI Apeiro, which I think has a shorter sight radius than my Tactical Sports do.  

OP is correct in that there are many 5" "sight trackers" out there.

Yes, sight would be affixed to the barrel rib in the tracker configuration.

Never heard of someone making totally custom pistol barrels, but it aounds like the type of problem that could be solver by throwing plenty of cash at it...

And, this brings up an interesting question in my mind... How are the ribbed barrels made? Turn down barrel and then weld on rib? Or just machine the rib and barrel in a single piece? What would be the order of operations in the process?

"Never heard of someone making totally custom pistol barrels, but it aounds like the type of problem that could be solver by throwing plenty of cash at it... "

Yep, I'm trying to find out where to send a check :-)

Not sure that there is a .40 CZ barrel that extends longer than the stock barrel.  I'll have to look to see if there is one and if there is, that's an option.  I kinda didn't want the gun to be longer than it is stock.

2 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

The easiest way to achieve a stationary front sight on a TS is to cut back the slide, thread the barrel and install the front sight block from a Czechmate.

8SV98iS.jpg

I'd be very happy with that...not sure how long that sight block is, but you can only cut back about half an inch before you run into serial number (on a stock TS)...and I assume a gunsmith/machine shop would have to machine the end of the slide out to receive that cone on the sight block.  

when scheuman was starting out I believe the rib was a seprate piece that was silver soldered onto the barrel, then the ports were put in.  the rib doesn't look like it would be too challenging to make and I am sure the right gunsmith could do it for you.  Having said that I wouldn't see the point for what you want unless you were going to port the rib... the advice above to thread the barrel and put on a sight block is a better approach I think.

I know of one guy in the world who makes full custom CZ barrels. His name is Ray Pulver and he runs Holland Precision Barrels (was called Lisner barrels). The only downsides are 1, he is in Australia (though I believe he does export to the US) and 2, they are not cheap (though if paying in USD to AUD you'll get a decent gain on the currency).

He primarily makes barrels for bianchi cup shooters (mainly 1911's and EAA/tanfoglio's). But I believe he now does make CZ barrels. Fitting is not for the faint hearted though. They are oversize in just about every dimension you can think of. On the upside his barrels have a reputation of being up there with the best in the world for 1911's. Their accuracy potential is pretty well undisputed.

Having said all that I think kneelingatlas' idea is the way to go.

Get a 6inch straight barrel for your TS. get the CM sight block (I bet plenty of CM shooters only shoot it in open config and would probably sell you one cheap), get barrel cut, crowned and threaded and modify slide and frame to suit. That's probably the way I'd do it. :)

Pretty sure the gun Atlas posted is actually a checkmate as sold. You get two barrels with them, one with a threaded comp, and one with a threaded front sight block. (sight tracker style without the rib)

From CZ-USA website as sold:

cz-usa-cz-75-ts-czechmate1-500x333.png