Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun fails to operate after bout 100 rounds

Speedsouthshooting

I've had and shot this sti matchmaster for a year. Approx. 2000 rounds a month.

The last two matches it runs about 100 rounds and then the slide will jam up. I can force it open and beat it shut with force. I can take it to a safe table and remove the slide assembly and put it right back together and it runs again like nothing ever happened. The gun stays soaking wet with weapon shield and it's completely cleaned and oiled after every match. The only changes to the gun was removing the recoil master springs in installing a full length guide rod and conventional recoil spring. Nothing is cracked and there is no visible damage to the barrel link. I replaced the slide lock for grins and giggles because I had an extra new one. I also reinstalled the recoil master just to see. Haven't tested yet. Is there anything I'm missing or has anyone else experienced this type of issue? It is set up for open minor. Thanks!

Could be the spring binding on the guide rod. Which way is the spring installed on the guide rod? Should be "flat side" down with the open coil towards the reverse plug. Speaking of reverse plug, was that changed as well? Does the reverse plug hole seem to be too large where a coil could get stuck?

I didn't replace the guide rod plug. It almost seems like the barrel isn't completely dropping down.

Caspian guy. Where are you in birmingham? I'm a match director at the CMP Talledega.

Right I am talking about the head of the guide rod where it interfaces to the frame. I have seen cases where the head of the rod didn't fit the recess in the frame it is supposed ride in. That can lead to battering of the guide rod head which can cause issues with the slide cycling or the barrel moving freely. Like most things on 1911 style guns the guide rod isn't necessarily drop in. I think bob at brazos may have had an article on it but I am not sure.

And I live in Hoover. I shoot the uspsa match at CMP pretty regularly.

I have seen this happen with some new guide rods. Check the top corners of the rod head where it sits against the frame. Sometimes the guide head will slightly rotate and allow the sharp edge to dig into the rail of the slide.

Round the top corners of the guide rod head and issue went away for me.

Sherwyn

How long have you been using weapons shield?

I had a similar problem when I changed to FrogLube. Gun kept jamming towards the 3rd-4th stage.

Changed back to my original lube and problem gone.

Edited by Big Guy

Without more detail on exactly how it is jamming its difficult to provide suggestions on how to fix it. The next time it jams, leave it in the jammed state and take a pictures of the gun so we can at least see the condition of the jam.