Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from Illinois

SlvrDragon50

Hi guys

I'm a new shooter with a CZ85C that I dearly love. Spent a lot of time over on the CZ forums customizing the gun. Watching all the USPSA/IDPA videos has made me a little jealous so now I wanna start shooting USPSA. I've only got a little over 1k rounds shot ever so I'm quite new to this, but I would like to think I'm improving quite quickly.

I'm a grad student and med student so unfortunately time and money are very limited for me, so most of my time is spent dry firing at home! Hope to learn a lot from you guys here, and I'd be happy to help with any biomechanics + physical training if you guys have any questions!

Welcome! Where more specifically are you at? If you are in the Chicago suburbs area, I could offer up a few good places to go shoot USPSA matches when time and money permits. I'd say your in the best position shooting production since its cheaper to shoot.

Welcome! Where more specifically are you at? If you are in the Chicago suburbs area, I could offer up a few good places to go shoot USPSA matches when time and money permits. I'd say your in the best position shooting production since its cheaper to shoot.

This^^ Let us know where you are located, and we can help you find some matches.

BTW...Howdy from the western 'burbs....

I'm from Champaign-Urbana attending UIUC. The closest USPSA match I have is in Bloomington I believe. Unfortunately the matches are on Tuesday nights which really makes it tough for me.

I would save my brass, but my local range doesn't allow for home reloads! There is an outdoor range as well, but it's a bit further of a drive (20 mins vs 5 mins). For now, I'm just shooting blazer aluminum which is working quite well. I do plan on shooting production. I am going to place an order for a Shooters Connection Belt, Ghost Stinger Holster, and 4 DAA Racer Pouches pretty soon!

Welcome to USPSA in IL. There are several shooters from your area that shoot the local weekend matches at Lefthanders (just outside Springfield), Havana, and the Chillicothe match. All three of them do match registration on practiscore. Lefthanders is 1st weekend of the month, Havana 2nd, and Chillicothe 4th. Good luck and hope to see you soon.

Awesome, thanks for those.

Havana and Chillicothe are a bit far, but I might be able to go to the Springfield one eventually when I feel good enough to make it worth the drive haha.

I just placed my order for my gear so I'm looking forward to testing it out!

I think for must of us, we consider a weekend day long match a reasonable distance as long as it isn't more than about an hour to hour and a half away, unless your real lucky on location, that is what most of us drive to shoot on a regular basis.

Miss (McHenry IPSC Shooting Society) runs matches held at Alpha Range in Mchenry. Alpha Range is the premier indoor range in northern IL. This range has two bays with FBI battle walls which allow 180 degree shooting.

We run matches from Oct-May. 1st, 3rd, and 5th Wednesday of the month. We tend to have 3 stages + 1 Classifier. We are limited to about 32 total shooters. Set up begins around 5:30-6 PM and first shots at 7 PM. We are normally cleaned up and out of there by 10-10:30 PM. Many of the shooters head out for a beer or two at some local bars or the BWW down the street.

We do sign up the Sunday before the matches at 8 PM.

Hope to see you at a match sometime.

OPSC (Oak Park Sportsman Club) USPSA

Range: Oak Park Sportsman Club | Plainfield, IL

Shoots on: 2nd Sunday

PTPC (Pine Tree Pistol Club) USPSA

Range: Pine Tree Pistol Club | Rockford, IL

Shoots on: 1st Sunday

NISA (Northern Illinois Shooting Association) USPSA

Range: Schultz Rod and Gun Club | Muskego, WI

Shoots on: 4th Sunday

Schultz USPSA

Range: Schultz Rod and Gun Club | Muskego, WI

Shoots on: 2nd Sunday

TCGC (Tri County Gun Club) USPSA

Range: TCGC | Polo, IL

BORCC (Bend of the River Conservation Club) USPSA

Range: BORCC | Niles, MI

NPCCC (North Porter County Conservation Club) USPSA

Range: NPCCC | Chesterton, IN

Shoots on: 1st Sunday

Unfortunately, those are all over 2 hours away from me, but thank you for the list!

A 2 hour drive is really about normal for most matches, especially when you have to get away from a city

They are right about the brass for sure. You will start reloading eventually. Do the ranges near you allow you to draw from a holster or permit rapid fire? Looking up some basic skills drills can help make the first match go smoothly. Especially if you practice with a timer.

BTW, I escaped IL 20 years ago! So happy to be in AZ. When you graduate, we can always use more docs here.

Unfortunately no on either of those.

There is another range outdoors a bit further away that basically has no rules, but it's a 20 minute drive, and I won't be able to bring anyone with me.

I'm actually a Florida resident so it's not too bad :P It's just a little difficult for me to get new firearms since we have 3 day holds in Florida but not a big deal otherwise. I don't know if I'd wanna go to AZ :P A little bit hot!

Unfortunately no on either of those.

There is another range outdoors a bit further away that basically has no rules, but it's a 20 minute drive, and I won't be able to bring anyone with me.

I'm actually a Florida resident so it's not too bad :P It's just a little difficult for me to get new firearms since we have 3 day holds in Florida but not a big deal otherwise. I don't know if I'd wanna go to AZ :P A little bit hot!

The land of humidity calling AZ hot? You might like it.... I like FL a lot. Will be visiting Siesta Key this fall.