Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First range trip with the G22

FWSixgunner

Except for a G21 about 20 years ago, this LEO trade in is the first I've ever shot.

The Dawson sights are awesome. One tap and I was on center. I can see the FS without my bifocals.

I had about 15% FTFs shooting Winchester 165 FMJ TCs. Seemed like it was when I loaded 10 or more, but I know some occurred when I had run the mag down to < 10. Two different OEM mags. Thoughts?

Muzzle flip convinced me I'm going to get the slide ported. I'm looking at DP Custom. Anyone used them? Did you have them Cerakote as well?

I'm an old revo guy, so lots of questions!

Thanks !

I'm assuming you're using a fiber optic front sight? If you port the slide like the C model Glocks I'm pretty sure the gas will melt the fiber optic rod pretty quickly. I'm not sure if a comp in front of the slide would do the same, but I'd personally go that route if you must have some porting/comp since it'll be more effective and won't be a permanent mod. Plus would probably be cheaper to buy a new barrel and comp than the work for the slide and barrel milling plus Cerakote.

Instead of the porting/comp you could instead try adding some weight to it to reduce recoil. A heavy brass magwell and/or rail mounted frame weight will make a noticeable difference.

Are you planning on reloading for it? If so, recoil is night and day different between what you can reload for it and factory ammo, even when reloading at major power factor.

I'm not sure about the failures to feed without seeing it. Are there any internal modifications done to it? Did you replace any springs when you bought it used? It might need a new recoil spring.

I haven't replaced any springs, but that's about to change when I buy some base pad kits and a new RS.

Yes, FO front. Hadn't thought about what porting would do. I priced it out $60 for DP to do a top rectangular cut + $45 for Cerakote locally. A barrel/comp is gonna have to be cheap to beat that. I'll check with DP. They're very responsive. Maybe side cuts would work.

You just need to shoot it allot more. Hold your gun like this. The ammo in this case is 180gr Speer Lawman. Your G22 could have dead recoil/mag springs, but that is usually not an intermittent problem.

image37140.jpg

Yeah I'm working on it all. Big leaning curve for me.

I will be obtaining .40 dies, et all soon. Right now they're so cheap at Wally World I can't get motivated to start

BTW this video appears show Bob Vogel shooting a ported 34 with one of his own design FO front sights. Same simple port I want to get.

http://youtu.be/45QhpvY9LZc

DP also says it should be ok. I may be back here crying in 2 months.

Edited by FWSixgunner

BTW this video appears show Bob Vogel shooting a ported 34 with one of his own design FO front sights. Same simple port I want to get.

Are you sure this "port" isn't the cutout/open part of the slide on the G34?

FWS, it's not ported. The G34 has a slide cutout to have the almost the same slide weight as a G17. Look at the video at 2:37 and 5:04 in, it clearly shows the stock barrel. Running a ported barrel would put you into USPSA Open Division and is not allowed at all in IDPA. Hey, Vogel says all the same stuff that I did 40 years ago. He is younger and better looking though.... and well, allot faster.

Ok,the lights are coming on, slowly:

So it doesn't sound like porting the slide redirects gas. Is that right?

So it must be to would reduce weight and make it cycle faster and, which may also reduce muzzle flip some since less mass is moving.

Is that about the size of it?

So it must be to would reduce weight and make it cycle faster and, which may also reduce muzzle flip some since less mass is moving.

Yeah, to make the 34/35 slide weigh about what a 17/22 slide would weigh they took some of the top out.

Oh I read your original post wrong, I thought you wanted to port both the slide and barrel, not just the slide. Porting just the slide does not redirect any gas. Cutting holes/ports in the slide just lightens the slide weight so it cycles faster. That doesn't necessarily reduce felt recoil, but might get you back on target faster. Some like lightened slides for competition and some don't. I'd recommend shooting it a lot more before doing permanent mods to it like that.

my take is it's a glock, and i wouldn't recommend a bunch of work/$ to slide or barrel. you can get a g35 if you want a longer slide .40 model.

if yours is a gen 4, make sure you have a beavertail backstrap for it, helps hold the gun firmer and higher and thus reduced recoil/flip.

i'd shoot it a bunch more before taking any drastic actions.

my take is it's a glock, and i wouldn't recommend a bunch of work/$ to slide or barrel. you can get a g35 if you want a longer slide .40 model.

if yours is a gen 4, make sure you have a beavertail backstrap for it, helps hold the gun firmer and higher and thus reduced recoil/flip.

i'd shoot it a bunch more before taking any drastic actions.

Copy that!

My experience was exactly the opposite. I took my beavertails off my gen 4s because I couldn't grip the gun as high due to the extra thickness of the beavertail up top. I get slide bite, but I can shoot the guns better without them.

If a Glock is what you want to stick with and really enjoy the platform, a brass magwell, SJC frame weight, and weighted base pads can all help. Might even want to look at a Glock 35 threaded barrel with a sight block that will give you a Glock 24 sight radius with a lighter slide.