Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making the Switch to Tanfo from Glock....

Thinking about making the switch from a Glock 17 to a Stock 2 and have some questions before I drop a bunch of coin..

What are some of the issues people have with making the change? I've only shot Glocks for the past 4 years.

Were draws and transitions more difficult because of the added weight?

How about mag changes? I know the mag well has to be better. I have to do the filp with Glocks to reach the mag release. Is the Tanfo a shorter reach?

Was getting used to a DA/SA difficult?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I switched from MP9 to Stock 2 3 months ago.

DA/SA is the least you need to worry.

Draw and transitions will be slower for at least a few months.

Reload surprisingly is not easier even though S2 supposedly has bigger magwell opening. Metal on metal is just less smooth than plastic/metal on plastic.

Mag release button is not easier to reach, but much easier to press compared to the MP9 (I don't use aftermarket extended mag release in MP9). If you already use extended mag release on Glock , however, I'd say it's probably a wash.

It's a huge change. Do it between seasons if you could. Else you will be just trying to get back to your Glock level for the most time during the season.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Adding some hard data:

1. DA/SA - 1 month to get smooth

2. Draw and transitions - still not up to par with my MP9 level at 3 months mark

3. Reload - once I retrain to adjust to the Stock 2 magwell opening angle, it becomes as fast as with my MP9. Took me about 2 months.

4. Accuracy and especially accuracy at speed - started showing at about 1 month mark.

BTW this is with daily dry fire and regular live fire. If you could switch in between season, do crazy amount of dry fire, you should be able to shorten the adjustment period by a lot and be ready when the new season starts.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I just bought a Stock 2 as well. Also using a Glock, not planning on competing with it until next season, but figured I start building it out now. Just messing around with it my perceptions were:

-draw is slower out of the box, probably .1-.2 slower, also the different grip angle effects presentation. Going back to my Glock after playing around with the Stock 2 and my front sight was appearing way above the rear for the first couple draws. Definitely not going to practice with the Tanfoglio until I'm happy with the mods I'm doing and ready to dump the Glock for good.

-reloads immediately about the same speed. I'm about 1.3 with either gun at this point, not sure if it's because I'm slow that there isn't a big difference.

-transitions and drills such as blake, el prez etc are hard to read, dry-fire is different with the DA 1st shot and then not letting the trigger reset for subsequent shots. Seemed about on par.

-The gun is HEAVY, recoil is kind of a joke with the G34 shooting gamer ammo, it seems like it will be non-existent with a gun this heavy.

-the ergos really support getting the support hand into a vise grip for me. More so than the Glock I feel like clamping down comes very naturally, so going along with the above, I imagine that this gun will be shooting very easy once I get it dialed.

-feels like there is more room for bigger hands, very comfortable, and the beavertail says no more Glock thumb.

-fit and finish are good. I would say top notch if the the checkering wasn't kind of shitty, apart from that it looks and feels every bit as good as my STI 2011.

-prior to shooting the Glock I shot a Beretta (not in competition) for several years, so I've had some level of experience with DA/SA, I don't anticipate a problem once I get the trigger dialed. My digital trigger gauge is in the mail, so I don't have the poundage yet, but DA seems real heavy, 10# plus, and there is some "stacking." SA is light enough and buttery smooth out of the box. There's enough threads on here of baller Tanfo triggers that I don't anticipate a problem getting it dialed.

I'm not a USPSA shredder, but am planning on shooting two more major matches this year, so I figure I'll wait to switch until after those. More because I think that a Tanfo will require more work to get set up and I don't want to rush it and end up with a bad taste for the gun trying to shoot it in a sub-optimal configuration. My unrefined technique isn't going to take months to get used to a new gun, maybe a couple weeks.

Edited by Slow250

Agreed on all points... Been shooting glocks for a year and decided to get serious about production so I bought a stock 2 about a month ago.

- Heavier/harder to point

- recoil isn't muuuuch better but definitely less snappy. If you've got a strong grip and shoot gamer loads, the steel gun won't help but maybe 5%.

-trigger is way better after maybe 200$ worth of parts. If u don't plan on upgrading and polishing everything don't bother, my stock pull weights were 11lb double action

4.5lb single action

-reloading is way harder, I think it's combination of steel on steel as said above as well as a different grip angle.

Ultimately it's still a very nice gun. It won't move you up in class but it definitely will make you want to practice more, and whatever gets you training more gets you better...

I'm in love.

But be sure to study up on the forums about maintenance and upgrades... It's way diff than a glock

But way more satisfying doing your own gunsmithing. Just gotta be brave on the disconnecter if you choose a t3 or bolo

As well as the sear if you happen to replace a few things and the safety won't engage...

Not too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bigbob21

Shot a 34 for 3 seasons and this season switched to the Shadow (not a Stock II, but similar enough). Basically, I am back to the same level of performance as with the Glock. Just started dry firing practice again with the 34, and will likely switch back to it over Winter. The Shadow is a great gun, and I'll never get rid of it, but the Glock just fits my hand better. I feel like I can control the recoil equally (heavy weight of CZ vs grip angle of the Glock). Even though the CZ trigger breaks much crisper, the location of the break sucks in my opinion being so close to the frame.

2 main things I have learned from reading this forum, 1. Its the Indian not the arrow. 2. Shoot that gun that fits your hand best.

Double-action precision will take the longest to achieve.

The draw will be normal, transitions won't be any different. Transitions happen within your torso and legs, and if your core muscles can't handle a 15oz increase then you should really seriously re-evaluate your life choices.

The sight picture is a lot different. You will see the top of the gun. It is weird and a bit unpleasant.

The magwell entrance is deceptive. It is best to learn by feel and visual cues. The magwell opening is offest from the rest of the magwell, which is physically and visually deceptive. It is irritating. A couple weeks of mag changes will take care of it though.

The mag release is very large and extends out quite far. Whether you still need to flip the gun depends on your hand and finger size.

Also, you will have an ambi-thumb safety to deal with, which you will have to learn to avoid activating during draws and reloads.

Edited by Dr Mitch

Agreed on all points... Been shooting glocks for a year and decided to get serious about production so I bought a stock 2 about a month ago.

- Heavier/harder to point

- recoil isn't muuuuch better but definitely less snappy. If you've got a strong grip and shoot gamer loads, the steel gun won't help but maybe 5%.

-trigger is way better after maybe 200$ worth of parts. If u don't plan on upgrading and polishing everything don't bother, my stock pull weights were 11lb double action

4.5lb single action

-reloading is way harder, I think it's combination of steel on steel as said above as well as a different grip angle.

Ultimately it's still a very nice gun. It won't move you up in class but it definitely will make you want to practice more, and whatever gets you training more gets you better...

I'm in love.

But be sure to study up on the forums about maintenance and upgrades... It's way diff than a glock

But way more satisfying doing your own gunsmithing. Just gotta be brave on the disconnecter if you choose a t3 or bolo

As well as the sear if you happen to replace a few things and the safety won't engage...

Not too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the disconnector..

I've fit the T3's and they took hours of care and dozens of fitting / testing to get "right". Most BOLO will drop in if the gun has extreme sear assembly and titan hammer. But the titan requires fitting the sear to safety. But that chore is MUCH simpler!

On g34 - S2...

I ride the shooting thumb on the safety. Promotes high grip and helps stabalize, especially WHO. Also, I can drop mags without shifting grip on S2 but couldn't with g34.

It is the indian, but better arrows help too!

I wouldn't say starting over. You may be slower to begin with, but I would be surprised if it took more than a month to surpass your glock times (if you dry fire regularly). Afterwards you will wish you went to the stock ii sooner.

Everything has been pretty much covered except this...........The gun is prettier than a Glock 34. And your going to look better shooting it! I've had quite a few compliments about the looks of the Stock 2. Nothing on my shooting though....

If you're anything like me, the switch to a new platform is going to drive you to practice more, and you will improve. It took me maybe two weeks to get to the point where I felt comfortable with the s2 and not too long after that for the GM card :o

The placebo effect, I hope, will carry my through the frustrating portion of learning to shoot it as well as the M&P I've been rocking for 7 years.

"This gun is amaaaaaazingly gooder! I just have to learn it." :goof:

The fact that it is new and (presumably) you like it more will be worth more time on the clock than the gun itself. You'll practice more and enjoy practicing more. At least I certainly did.

I also think changing platforms causes your brain to have to adapt and can force a jump in skill. It's like switching up your weightlifting routine to "shock" your muscles.

Thanks for all the responses.

I just purchased a used Stock 2 off Gunbroker:

Comes with:

6 mags with Springer base plates.

Red Hill holster

Fiber front sight

Description said it had some trigger work done but wasn't specific. Guy said it has a Henning disconnector and sear. Didn't mention it has a Titan hammer which I figured out from the pictures.

Hope I like it!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I picked one up and ran a couple mags through it at the end of my practice session yesterday.

I learned two things:

1. It's very accurate.

2. I absolutely suck in double action.  I mean I stink up the joint.  This is going to require some intensive dry fire this winter.

Lol! I know that feeling, all too well.

Polish the guts up and swap in a Patriot Defense 10 hammer spring.  the light da will cover some trigger issues. As you learn, swap in heavier  springs. Unless you just run federal match primers.

But don't do my mistake of dry firing always in da. I slap the shit out of the trigger now live fire as i (stupidly) ingrained a too long trigger finger action. 

1 hour ago, johnbu said:

Lol! I know that feeling, all too well.

Polish the guts up and swap in a Patriot Defense 10 hammer spring.  the light da will cover some trigger issues. As you learn, swap in heavier  springs. Unless you just run federal match primers.

But don't do my mistake of dry firing always in da. I slap the shit out of the trigger now live fire as i (stupidly) ingrained a too long trigger finger action. 

I have stopped DA dry fire now because I found It was playing with my trigger control in SA.

I'd be happy if my rig was DAO it feels so nice TBH.