Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need an adjustable gas block

optimator

I'm building a new 3 gun rifle. The barrel will be here Monday, a 16" LaRue PredatAR. It's a .625 with .450 spacing on the gas block dimples. From the research I've done, it looks like the SLR Sentry 6 is the best I can do. Any input on this?

i have a syrac. and have no complaints? (no no comparison to other mfgr)

why did you choose gas block vs adjustable gas key?

are you also going with lightweight BCG, light weight buffer, tuned buffer spring?

I have an SLR, Parallax Tactical and a JoeBobs gas block, as well as experience with the Syrac. I'm starting to see a pattern with all of them. Unless you adjust them constantly to keep them loose (you won't, you'll forget), they will all freeze up no matter how nice and pretty or cheap and ugly they started out. For that reason I'm pretty curious about the Superlative Arms gas block, it looks like the design might be less likely to freeze up. I'm still waiting for someone to post some reviews of it.

i have a syrac. and have no complaints? (no no comparison to other mfgr)

why did you choose gas block vs adjustable gas key?

are you also going with lightweight BCG, light weight buffer, tuned buffer spring?

Actually, I haven't considered an adjustable key. I've never owned one. And yes LW BCG & buffer. What are the pros & cons between a key and a block?

You will have to open the action to adjust the gas key. Seems like a bit of a pain, but I do not have one so take it for what it's worth.

But once it's set it should be GTG as long as my ammo stays the same.

I have both. Gas key and block on 2 different builds.

From reading the gas blocks will eventually get dirty and possibly freeze up eg. No more adjustment...... Should you decide to clean it involves removing gas block...

I just recently started using gas key. From tac com. Which is made my rubber city armory... Easy to install ( less than 5 min) and easily cleaned. Performance wise I can't tell difference between the two. I can't tell that more gas is passing key area. I'm sure rifle will be dirtier but, running all these upgrades its almost necessary clean and lube gun more often anyway. Easier to maintain and less expensive. I'm going with adj gas key on my next build! Yes you have to pull bcg to adjust gas. I had it set in handful of rounds. I've heard of ocassional failures but those are due to user error, not tightening and or not using lock tite.

I have both. Gas key and block on 2 different builds.

From reading the gas blocks will eventually get dirty and possibly freeze up eg. No more adjustment...... Should you decide to clean it involves removing gas block...

I just recently started using gas key. From tac com. Which is made my rubber city armory... Easy to install ( less than 5 min) and easily cleaned. Performance wise I can't tell difference between the two. I can't tell that more gas is passing key area. I'm sure rifle will be dirtier but, running all these upgrades its almost necessary clean and lube gun more often anyway. Easier to maintain and less expensive. I'm going with adj gas key on my next build! Yes you have to pull bcg to adjust gas. I had it set in handful of rounds. I've heard of ocassional failures but those are due to user error, not tightening and or not using lock tite.

Good info, thanks biglou. This seems to be a pretty common answer out in internetland. Not as easy to adjust, but the end results are the same.

Depending on block and hand guard, gas tube length , barrel profile. ... That could equally be difficult to adjust. Adj key pretty easy to access bolt and the adjustment Allen key is larger... Plus my eyes are going ....

I have several SLR's Ti and steel and they freeze up very quickly as in if you don't turn them in and out after shooting the rifle even just a few rounds it is a bitch to break them free. I have a new Odin Works on my latest rifle but I have only shot it a couple times.

Paul. Dang block freeze is problematic.

I got my syrac used...... It's a bit crunchy on the turn but I got it used.

I'd think you'd get more rounds if before freeze?

Are you using a "dirty powder"?

If mine freezes I'm planning on ultrasonic cleaning it....

However it's a P.I.T.A to remove and reinstall...

Chances are if I remove it I'm putting on regular block. Then switching to key block.

Curious... How often do you clean rifle?

I wonder if cleaning gas block down and soaking will help?

What are the pro's doing? Are theirs freezing also?

Not sure why there is so much whining about adjustable gas blocks sticking up. I have used them for years and never really had an issue I thought was serious enough for me to not take advantage of the benefits they provide.

When you first get one, adjust it for your chosen set-up. If you do it properly, you will not have to adjust it again unless/until you make a major change to the ammo your using, or decide to change your spring/buffer/BCG combo.

At that point, I just put a few drops of Kroil on the adjusting screw, let it soak in, then click it one click in both directions, after which it adjusts like a new one. I personally am a fan of SLR and have never had one fail or lock up that the above didn't fix.

Do the adjustable gas keys have the same issues with freezing up?

Can't say from experience ...... But gas key is on BCG is easily serviced...... So I'm inclined to say no.

Rep..... I'm going to try a drop of kroil. Mine isn't frozen just crunchy.

I never tried Kroil, but I did use several other products. I broke several of the adjustment screws that SLR had before they changed to the new design with the fat head. The milling on a standard set screw provided a weaker point that would fail.

Everyone said SLR was the best and didn't freeze up. My Ti Sentry 6 is frozen after ~400 rounds (two cleanings). Can only get it down to ~3rd position before full close now and have no desire to take it apart to clean it up.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running the same barrel and my AR is overgassed. I was thinking adjustable gas block also and had a couple questions. How often do you adjust the gas block? I would think that once it is set where you want it, you wouldn't move it? Is it just moved for changing loads or adding a suppressor?

On 8/17/2016 at 4:05 PM, CalmlyDeMented said:

I'm running the same barrel and my AR is overgassed. I was thinking adjustable gas block also and had a couple questions. How often do you adjust the gas block? I would think that once it is set where you want it, you wouldn't move it? Is it just moved for changing loads or adding a suppressor?

Once I adjusted the gas block to the weakest ammo I plan to run (PMC 223) I just left it alone. Even if it freezes up, do not see a problem as I do not plan on running a suppressor. If I did run a suppressor, then a switchblock might make more sense, as its a 2 position device, easier to change settings than with a gas block.

On 7/22/2016 at 0:28 AM, reptoid said:

Not sure why there is so much whining about adjustable gas blocks sticking up. I have used them for years and never really had an issue I thought was serious enough for me to not take advantage of the benefits they provide.

When you first get one, adjust it for your chosen set-up. If you do it properly, you will not have to adjust it again unless/until you make a major change to the ammo your using, or decide to change your spring/buffer/BCG combo.

At that point, I just put a few drops of Kroil on the adjusting screw, let it soak in, then click it one click in both directions, after which it adjusts like a new one. I personally am a fan of SLR and have never had one fail or lock up that the above didn't fix.

Lets say you adjust your gas block to an optimum setting for your rifle and match ammo in say Florida in august and you go and shoot say Benning in October... its now 37 degrees and you rifle will not run... I buy adjustable gas blocks so I can adjust them, not just a few times.  I have bought several different ones and I got sold on the idea that SLR Ti with a melonited screw was the best and least likely to lock up... total BS  $180.00 gas blocks and they seem to lock up more quickly than a 60.00 seekins...  I said something to this effect on IG and the SLR guys blocked me... They all seem to lock up but seriously if I go out and shoot 20 rounds and don't adjust it when I get home it won't move a week later without soaking it with some penetrating stuff and working with it. I also feel like after doing this several times the threads are getting jacked up in the ti.