Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Squadding Or Assigned Squads

Sac Law Man

Using a major/sanctioned match w/ 100 shooters for example, which would you prefer, open squadding or assigned squadding? Which do you think is quicker for getting all shooters through the match?

Using a major/sanctioned match w/ 100 shooters for example, which would you prefer, open squadding or assigned squadding?  Which do you think is quicker for getting all shooters through the match?

As a shooter, open squadding is usually a better time. You can move at your own pace and many shooters can bang out a 15 stage match in 2-3 hours if they hustle. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does. You also can move around in whatever order you please so you don't have to tackle the real hard stage first off and you no longer need to be concerned that your buddies won't be squadded with you.

As an SO, I'm not as keen on them. You do not get the down time between squads so you're pretty much hustling all day. Also, people leave as soon as they shoot so you get less taping help a lot of the time.

Ted

I like open squadding for the reasons Ted listed.I think shooter should help paste his own holes.Most major matches that I have been to have 3 SOs on each stage 1 with timer,1 with score sheets and 1 that pastes the targets,if the shooter helps paste his shots then it would help the match move along at a faster pace.Ken

I like the open squadding. I have been to two matches of said size that used it and it worked great both times. I agree it was rougher on the crew at each stage but the match did keep moving.

Only problem was when a NAME was shooting. The NAME had a bunch of lemmings that would follow him from stage to stage to "Shoot with him". I was getting annoyed by it so I am sure he was. To his credit he never showed it and was the gentleman to the end although he had to get on a 4wheeler and run after the match to get some breathing room.

One thing that did work was to have a sheet at each stage. Shooters would sign in when they walked up. When 10 or 15 had signed in a line was drawn and a walkthrough given. Anybody below the line had to wait for the next one. This kept the stage crew from having to explain it to each shooter. Also if your name was called and you were not there your name was scratched and you had to sign in again at the bottom of the list.

There was a situation where a couple of the stage crew were allowing thier buddies to shoot through. This caused some grumbling and ill feelings so I would definately not suggest doing that. If said buddies want to shoot through "so they can help out" then shoot with the staff the day before.

Well I guess that is enough from me, Steven

I have never been to a match that squadded open like that...sounds interesting. So people just wander around until they've shot all the stages and filled their scorecards? I can see how that would seem like bad news for the SO/RO's. We can't get a break at our club as it is, and to get rid of the squads would be tough.

Although we are looking for some way to speed up the matches.

- Gabe

I have never been to a match that squadded open like that...sounds interesting.  So people just wander around until they've shot all the stages and filled their scorecards?  I can see how that would seem like bad news for the SO/RO's.  We can't get a break at our club as it is, and to get rid of the squads would be tough.

Although we are looking for some way to speed up the matches.

- Gabe

GSSF uses open squadding. it doesnt always work well. excessive waiting seems to be the biggest complaint about GSSF matches. but GSSF doesnt limit the # of shooters that can show up and shoot on either day...and many shoot more than one division.

i've never seen open squadding at a uspsa match.

I prefer open squads IF there are enough bays available so that each stage has its own home. You need at least 10 bays running all day to really get through a big match quickly. If you don’t have lots of real estate, then fixed squads are better.

geezer

We used to run open squadding at our local club, I loved it. I refer to it as "festival shooting" ;-)

You need a certain minimum number of shooters for it to work. You assign 2 RO's per stage, and change the shift at midday. The RO's get shoot through passes and as soon as they walk up to a stage they are put into the order at the bottom of duties so they only have to wait 3-4 shooters to come up.

With under 40 shooters it's tough to make it work. Our club doesn't get the 75+ turnouts we used to get at every match and we use squadding universally now. I sure miss festival shooting :-(

--

Regards,

I've only shot major matches in IDPA, not USPSA, but the open squadding seems to work better. Waiting in line isn't my favorite pasttime, and I seem to do less of it in an open-squadded match.

I'll go either way. Once you get over 12 stages some sort of squadding makes sense. But then it really all depends on how efficient the SO's run their stages or how complicated some stages are.

Personally I prefer the open squad (Shotgun start) method. Usually works well as long as there aren't a couple of giant squads clogging up the works.

I run a big steel match down here every year and this year was our first with open squading and it worked awesome. At the shooters meeting we told everyone that RO's and score keepers did NOT paint, so if you came up and the steel was not painted grab a can and have fun. Everyone did a great job of keeping the steel painted and we were able to move 60 guns though 6 stages in a little over 2 1/2 hrs!!! It was great with no complants!!!

I shoot in the vicinity of 20 major matches a year. And to the best of my knowledge, NOT a single one will be open squaded. After shooting a couple of open squaded IDPA matches a few years back, I decided that I would avoid any open squaded match.

Squaded matches are simple for the shooter, simple for the RO/SOs, & simple for the match director.

I am with David O.

And, for the local matches...we used to have a local match that ran ope squading. Burned out quite a few of the staff...real quick. (They made it through the season, and just didn't show up the next year.)

The reason I asked is tomorrow (May 7th) our club is holding a sanctioned IDPA match..the Gold Country Classic..We have 115 shooters total..25 (S/O's ARO's) shot today, 90 shooters will shoot on Saturday.. I was interested to see which way is more efficient. I have shot matches both ways. It seems like when I have shot matches open squadded, I end up waiting 2 hours to shoot the last stage..Not fun. We have decided to have squads, that way the RO's get a break in between, everyone finishes at about the same time or close to, and people will be more likely to hang around for the awards.. We had planned on squads all along, and this just re-affirms my decision. Thanks for all the input..

John