Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Walmart Bulk Pack Federal Shotgun Shells

alma

For the last 13 years I have run the Federal 100 round bulk pack shotgun shells from Walmart.

I picked up a few boxes a couple of days ago and noticed that not only have the boxes changed (no red in color) but it looks like the shells now have a slightly taller brass rim instead of the steel colored one that I am used to seeing. The rest of the info on the box looks the same. Has anyone run these and is performance the same?

Weren't the bulk packs #8 shot in the past? 3 Dram 1 1/8 ounce loads of 7 1/2's is a good load.

If the crimp on the shells are consistent you should be fine.

They are both #8 and #7 1/2. Maybe it's silly but I pack both to matches with me and if I will be shooting primarily steel I do #7 1/2, clays I do #8.

So new ones appear to better?

What's the Walmart catch?

No idea, but they were $21.something for 100. As long as they were at least as good as before then I am very happy.

I thought these might be a reloadable upgrade to the old shell by the looks of them.

I deprimed one and when I went to prime it, the primer literally dropped in by gravity.

Guess I'll toss all those pretty empties.

eta: these have a different one piece wad (looks nicer than the old ones) so they shoot 7% better.

Edited by DanRobinson

I have several thousand of the old stuff through my A5 without a problem. I bought a thousand of the new stuff and have nothing but malfunctions since. Another buddy shoots an A5 and has the same experience. For what it's worth, the federal top gun has never worked on my A5.

I have several thousand of the old stuff through my A5 without a problem. I bought a thousand of the new stuff and have nothing but malfunctions since. Another buddy shoots an A5 and has the same experience. For what it's worth, the federal top gun has never worked on my A5.

That is all I have run through my A5 :-(

That is all I have run through my A5 :-(

Same here. It was fairly consistently malfunctioning. One stage it was a straight pull bolt shotgun. Another A5 guy at York has been giving crap for shooting cheap ammo in matches for a while. I told him they run fine so why spend more. This year he proves me wrong. This last match I shot Win AA's and didn't have a single hiccup. It's more expensive but I don't have time to practice anymore so it only costs a couple of dollars more per match. I would guess you shoot a little more than me so it hurts worse.

winchester is having a $2/box rebate on AA supersports. that gets it almost down to federal bulk pack prices. i've only used the AA's (1300fps) one match but my sbe2 ran 100% vs less than that with the wally fed bulk packs (1200fps).

Don't know how picky your A5 is, but, I run Rio, Herters (Cabela's). If in doubt, AA's or Remington STS.

I don't know either. I have always run bulk Federal. Thanks, I will check these out.