Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More Than 2, But Less Than 6!

Shot a stage today that required 5 shots per target. Counting them was way too slow - not counting them ended in disaster (it was Virginia Count).

I did fine on the first string, 5 shots, reload, 5 shots - all Alpha's in 5.8 seconds. Second string did 6, reload, 6 in 6.3 seconds. WHY did I shoot 6???

So what's the best way to count shots????

Shoot a revolver and only put 5 in the moonclips !!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ha Ha Ha I kill myself sometimes ;)

Hop

remember Grrl.....

This really fits with the crowd we shoot with.....

"there always is a smart ass in the crowd..... Only this crowd is FULL of them"

On a semi more serious note.... what helped me is actually practicing say 3 on a target or 5 on a target and eventually the "sound" gets in your head.

hope that helps, that is the best way I can describe it.

SAM

What EW said.

An interesting drill of Taran's mentioned by Voigt: a 15-shot Bill Drill. You gotta count 'em... no downloading mags, etc. Helps with the whole relaxation thing... sometimes.

I shot a stage this weekend that involved six shots on each target. What I usually do is "hear" the rhythm of the shots in my visualization before I walk up to shoot hte stage. While the shooter before me is shooting, I run through the stage with my eyes closed, mimicking the moves I am about to make. I can hear a duh duh duh duh duh duh in a pattern, and that is the smooth cadence I try and recreate while shooting the stage. For me, it is more of a pattern thing than a counting thing.

Take of your socks so you can use your toes too ;)

Try counting all of your shots in practice when you break them. I use this method when I find myself getting reckless, it is not slower at all for me, generally it is faster and more precise.

I always have trouble counting too.. :wacko:

usually land 7 on the target instead of six..most of the time not really a factor and a skill worth the practice..but it is becoming more of trend in the matches I have seen..that will probably need to work on drills to learn to count..

Guest Gunslinger45

When you are doing your stage prep get a "Cadence" going and then run it over and over in your head. After the "beeb" shoot that cadence as smoothly as possible.

I wish I could always shoot as fast as I can count. Like the rest said, you have to count them, and you just have to teach yourself how to od it fast. Just think of it this way, take the normal 2 rounds per target multiply it to the 4th power, subtract seven, and then take the square root of that number. See Easy!

Just think of it this way, take the normal 2 rounds per target multiply it to the 4th power, subtract seven, and then take the square root of that number. See Easy

Disregard everything I mgiht have typed about cadence and visualization - this is the hot ticket :P:P:P:P:P

As everyone else has said ... Count!

But do it with style ... Scare the hell out of the RO. Scream your count at the top of your lungs as you go.

1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 .. 5

He may think you're crazy, but I'll bet you don't screw and and shoot 4 or 6. In any case, you haven't done anything unsafe or unsportsmenlike ... You may get a few laughs, and I'll even bet your hits and times will be respectible.

Just don't let anyone know you're going to do it in advance ... It spoils the effect!

If you have to do it more than once in the COF, show how smart you are, and count in different languages. Hmmm......lets see, one through five I could cover in 6 different languages. If the RO is overeducated he might even tell you to unload and show clear in one of the lanuages you choose to use.

Try this, just before you shoot set up a cadence in your head at the same rate you want to shoot...

ie. boom, boom, boom, boom, boom (say it quick, over and over about 10 times with a pause in between each set of five)

Then shoot, don't think of the cadence, just shoot

Have you guys heard my opinion on how I think cadence shooting sucks???  :)  :)  :)

I beg to differ... :P , check the cadence on the plates... B)

Stage_8.zip

DivX coded, if you need DivX, try here.

Oh, and for the records, I was shooting 190 PF due to a "small brainfade" while loading the rounds... :wacko:

Edited by Skywalker

Practicing for A6 are ya??

That stage is the result of a conversation I had with Ima45devi8.

I'm with Jake on this one. I count.

Yeah, I noticed there two familiar names as course designers on this bad boy. The best I can hope for is the stage designers curse on your heads :ph34r::blink::D:P

Interesting about cadence shooting. I was at Area 3 last year and noticed one of the GM's ( I think Travis T) literally making bang, bang sounds as he walked some of the stages. He siad it helped him figure out his timing since he knew what his cadence should be. Guess it depends on how you want to approach it.

If you are counting then you are focusing on numbers and not on shooting. An unconscious effort is faster than a conscious one.

With targets that are stationery you should know the speed that you can shoot to get a good score, set the cadence for that speed. It should work for everybody and I would suggest trying it before dismissing it.

Two possibilities Grrrl:

1. Use a different finger for each shot. The thumb shot is the hardest one.

2. Try using the Right brain to fire the gun and the Left brain to count.

Okay, try this. AS you shoot this in practice, instead of counting one, two, three, four, five with the little voice in your head, visualize the numerals 1,2,3,4,5 between each sight picture (yes, you may use Roman numerals if you prefer). Light is faster than sound. As always start slowly with a new drill and allow the speed to come as you get the hang of it.

Eventually you should just allow yourself to be aware of how many shots you fire.

If you are counting then you are focusing on numbers and not on shooting. An unconscious effort is faster than a conscious one.

With targets that are stationery you should know the speed that you can shoot to get a good score, set the cadence for that speed. It should work for everybody and I would suggest trying it before dismissing it.

What are you calling a cadence? Do you go "tic, tic, tic," or "toc, toc, toc," or "pow, pow, pow" as fast as you think you should shoot to yourself? I think I can/do use numbers the same way without attaching any real meaning to them other than a rhythm and and a stopping point that I reach without doubt. I found I could shoot faster bill drills by knowing when to stop. For me, counting really smoothed smoothed the cadence of the last few shots.