Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle suggestions

whitea87

Looking to get into 3 gun. I need some rigle suggestions. Price range is 1k to 1.5k. I know there might be a thread already if so can you direct me to it. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Build one. It's easy and rewarding.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Or look for a lightly used one on the classifieds here.

If you're like many of us you'll be changing parts out as you go anyway.

You should be able to find a very serviceable rifle at that price point.

Definitely build, you get exactly what you want and the rifle suits you and your shooting style. Between my "off the shelf" race rifle and my purpose built race rifle, I paid less money to get the purpose built rifle exactly how I wanted it. Plus it's fun! :goof:

Latest build is 5.5 lbs with optics, be happy to send a build list via PM as it came out in your price range ;)

Armalite or the new ATI 3Gun ($1K). Luth AR stocks, good FF handguards, Timney triggers both are ready to roll with no mods. A good trigger and an adjustable stock are what most ARs need, so why not just get them out of the gate!

Edit...sorry, I was typing too fast and was not clear enough...The ATI has a CMC trigger, not a Timney. The Armalite has a Timney.

Edited by MarkCO

I built mine for about $800 but it was for HD type use initially. If I went with a different hand guard and upgraded the trigger I'd still be right at $900. Although that does not include an Optic.

Besides if you build it, you'll know how and have the tools to change parts later on. I guarantee within a few months you'll want to change a comp, barrel, hand guard, etc. etc.

Edited by SCTaylor

I vote build it, you can build exactly what you want and gain the knowledge and confidence to work on your own equipment. Shop around for deals or message Jesse Tishouser on face book and he will send you discount codes from his sponsors. That really helps out when putting a project together.

I vote for building the lower exactly to your specs. Easy choice. My advice is to take your time building a perfect lower because you can then attach a plethora of uppers to it for more specialized purposes.

As for the upper, there's so many choices out there, I think that with proper research you can find one for a reasonable enough price that it's worth having an expert handle the headache as well potential warranty.

Carbon Arms sells a great upper for 3 gun that is worth considering even if you have to wait longer to expand your price range. (Whatcha say to that, huh, Mark?)

Carbon Arms sells a great upper for 3 gun that is worth considering even if you have to wait longer to expand your price range. (Whatcha say to that, huh, Mark?)

Thanks, but I still think the Armalite or ATI is a better bet for a new shooter to start off with than building. No tinkering, no messing, no asking why it won't run. A year in or so, sure, jump into a better upper, and better glass based on the types of matches you like to shoot. I would build a very different upper for RM3G/ BRM3G type matches than berm matches, and different for those in the middle that hit the 300 or 400 range, but no further.

Even with stock choices, I see so many people get led astray, especially when using cheap glass, and think they can not shoot past 200, but it is a poor cheek-weld/height to optic with parallax that is making their patterns. The Armalite and ATI jump right in with a good stock, good trigger and good comp. If you add up the build prices, they are both bargains and you can not build to the same performance level for their price tag.

Edited by MarkCO

I'd highly disagree with the assertion that you cannot build the same performance as the Armalite. Is it a very nice rifle at a good price point? Yes, and I considered buying one. But I challenged myself to build a rifle lighter than the Armalite 3-Gun 13.5" model while integrating several specific features I considered left out of the Armalite. The most significant change I made was a melonited barrel, and a very unique barrel at that. Having shot both, my rifle shoots lighter. Price was equivalent.

If I were picking an off the shelf rifle, the Armalite 18" would definitely be on my short list. But an off the shelf rifle is inherently meant to appeal to the majority of buyers, not tailor a rifle to a specific individual's preferences.

If I were picking an off the shelf rifle, the Armalite 18" would definitely be on my short list. But an off the shelf rifle is inherently meant to appeal to the majority of buyers, not tailor a rifle to a specific individual's preferences.

Exactly, a new 3Gunner does not yet have preferences and, I would contend, should not be about tailoring specific gear, but be about learning the game and developing fundamentals. Which is where the OP is at.

I get asked this question a lot. what gun for the new guy and should I build my first AR (first ever AR)

What gun? Has been well answered. Armalite, Barnes Precision, Double Star come to mind.

To build your very first AR? I would purchase a running gun and then learn from it and then build or alter what I had

based on the experience gained.

I ended getting a bcm 16 recce upper and a stripped lower to start building on. I have a bcm already and it has never let me down. Any recommendations on a scope under 500.

I ended getting a bcm 16 recce upper and a stripped lower to start building on. I have a bcm already and it has never let me down. Any recommendations on a scope under 500.

Get a 1x and shoot Limited with the cool cats.

Get a 1x and shoot Limited with the cool cats.
Not a bad idea, actually. Otherwise, you could pick up a used Vortex PST or Burris MTAC for about that amount. Maybe a little more withe the mount. Go with a good prism from either of those makes and you'll be good to go.

That isn't a bad idea the local matched around me the longest shot maybe 100 150 yards

Edited by whitea87

That isn't a bad idea the local matched around me the longest shot maybe 100 150 yards

If it's that close range you could save money and go with irons or an Aimpoint PRO. It would limit you if you shot elsewhere with longer ranges though. The Aimpoint (or similar) mght speed you up on the hoser stages though. Edited by jkrispies

Vortex viper 1-4 is 499 everywhere, and if you look around for a little while or find a discount code or sale from one of the big retailers you can save some extra coin.

Watch the classifieds here, often can find this scope or one of its direct competitors for even less than that.