Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas gunworks interchangeable breech face

Broncos79

I think you are better off with a complete top. those breachfaces come loose, screw breaks... and you have to correct sights between a caliber change, switch extractor, switch ejector.

and normaly the firingpin stopplate is fitted to the extractor to minimize extractor clocking

Edited by stardust tommy

All thank you for the input I had not considered correction between sights - how does SVI vs Atlas compare in terms of cost quality and service far the sale.

Asking for a comparison between custom gun builders is becoming sort of a loaded question. Ultimately, you'll find that it comes down to your preference on the philosophy of each gun builder. As far as I understand, Atlas is a highly reputable gunsmith shop that takes other brands' parts, like STI, and fits them all together to operate and function as flawlessly as possible. As you know, that is the way of most gunsmiths. What's unique about SVI is that though they do utilize a variety of templates, SVI builds your gun, your way, with parts that are all, or at least mostly, milled out in their own facility. As cost is a factor for most people, you'll find that SVI costs more, hands down. Maybe even much, much more. However, you'll end up w/ an exquisite piece that also performs flawlessly. If it doesn't, I'm sure that the builder of your gun, in this case either SVI or Atlas, will make good on keeping you happy.

Either way, you'll get a pretty outstanding product. Just pick your path and walk it.

-MM

Svi is really the only current viable option for an interchangeable breach face slide. The biggest difference between SVI and the rest is they manufacture ALL parts in house (including barrels). Any gunsmith (including atlas) can buy an sv ibf slide and fit it to a frame but svi don't sell their frames to other builders so if you want the full svi gun you have to go to svi.

The real question is why you want an ibf vs two top ends (or even 2 guns)?

Switching an ibf gun from 9 to 40 involves changing the ibf, the barrel, the extractor and ejector and re-zeroing it too. Then you need another set of mags as well. Adding an extra slide and set of sights at this point makes things much easier to swap over...

The real question is why you want an ibf vs two top ends (or even 2 guns)?

It seems SV's theory on this isn't necessarily to swap calibers, but to maintain good barrel fit and lock up as the gun wears. When it loosens up beyond spec, send it back and they fit a larger breech face and you've got a gun as tight as when it was new... I would imagine that you have to run a gun really hard for a very long time to get to the point of it being necessary. It's neat, but the only way I'd do it to switch calibers would be to switch on a semi permanent basis... i.e. make my old 40 a 9 for a venture into 3 gun or whatever.

Edited by tha1000

Personally, I think the whole interchangeable breech face is a very cool concept. If you are seriously into competition, and shoot multiple divisions and/or multigun, having two separate pistols, each w/ IBFs, they can serve as backups to each other. That way, instead of having to purchase four pistols, you'd only need two.

So it takes me about 15 minutes to change my Infinity from 40 to 9mm. If I need to adjust my sight I just put a note in with the appropriate barrel and make the adjustments as necessary.

You will need different mags if you change the barrel and breechface or if you change top ends so that is not a factor.

While this might not be what everyone wants it is certainly a good option and is not as difficult as some seem to think it is.

I have a SV with interchangable breachface. 9 bushing for IDPA and 40 bull for USPSA, I don't mess with the sights. been working great for 10 years.

I also have 2 barrels for my open gun, one is full on 38SC with comp and the other is a 9 with vent rib for steel. SV rocks!

Honestly, I think it's a better option for a high round count pistol. Once the breech face starts to wear, you just buy another breech face rather than have a new slide fitted.

I'm hoping to put this to the test with my "new" forever gun SV.