Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting a little puff of smoke from coated lead

B_RAD

I ordered a couple of sample packs from Bayou and Acme.

Glock 34 w/stock & WC barrels

147 gr FP(coated)

3.4 gr WSF

.376" crimp

1.125" OAL

I'm going to bump up the powder charge 0.1 grn (buffer for making pf) and shorten the OAL to about 1.115 (more buffer for plunk and spin test).

I'm new to loading coated lead (or lead for that matter).

Just wondering if everyone else is getting smoke? Is it bad? No. Is more than my platted loads? Yes.

Thanks.

Edited by B_RAD

Yes there is smoke. I rarely notice it unless the sun/wind conditions are very unfavorable (ie sun in eyes, very light breeze in your face). It's visible in match video though.

40 S&W limited major, bayou 180 over TiteGroup

For me the price savings more than makes up for any PITA of using coated. YMMV.

I shoot the 147 Bayous.

I hardly notice any smoke, although it's there if I look hard. As mentioned above, range conditions (wind, sun direction, maybe humidity) makes a difference.

The main thing I've noticed about the Bayous is the peculiar smell, although again that depends on range conditions.

I shoot coated lead bullets with WSF out of Glocks almost exclusively. I sometimes get smoke from shooting these loads, but it happens inconsistently. I recall having less smoke with the faster, cooler burning powders like N320. But you may want to check your crimp, too. If the crimp is breaking the coating to the point you see exposed lead, I think that also causes more smoke. I haven't had issues with smoke with the last several hundred rounds I've loaded and shot at an indoor range. That's after backing off my crimp from .375" to ".377".

WSF also makes my cases pretty sooty, but it's the most accurate powder I've found for my 9mm Glocks.

Good to know.

I'm going to order more. Acme seems to have the best price so probably go with them.

Anyone use their 145 RN? Depending on the profile, it may be able to be longer OAL than the FP.

That is a light load for WSF and is probably not developing a pressure seal fast enough, leading to an inefficient burn. I would expect a little puff of smoke and sooty cases with 3.4gr of WSF and any type of 147gr bullet.

Anyone tried SNS casting 125 gr lrn coated 9mm.

Yes, they are exceptional quality. I use TG with them, and the smoke isn't a big deal at all, very little.

Agreed, I've used a lot of them over TiteGroup for production. No complaints.

That is a light load for WSF and is probably not developing a pressure seal fast enough, leading to an inefficient burn. I would expect a little puff of smoke and sooty cases with 3.4gr of WSF and any type of 147gr bullet.

I may bump it up to 3.7.

Smokeless powder is a misnomer. All powder smokes to some degree. A load that is not at near maximum pressure will smoke more. A coated bullet over crimped or the coating scraped or damaged will smoke a lot more and the burning wire smell will be stronger. If you are shooting outside in heavy humidity with the sun in just the right position a water pistol will smoke. You will always get some smoke but depending on the weather conditions and lighting positions it seems to get really bad inside as well as out.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Anyone tried SNS casting 125 gr lrn coated 9mm.

Yes, they are exceptional quality. I use TG with them, and the smoke isn't a big deal at all, very little.

Agreed, I've used a lot of them over TiteGroup for production. No complaints.

I shoot SNS 147 FP's over Titegroup. There is some smoke but I have never noticed it during a match.

Very popular combination.

I ordered a couple of sample packs from Bayou and Acme.

Glock 34 w/stock & WC barrels

147 gr FP(coated)

3.4 gr WSF

.376" crimp

1.125" OAL

I'm going to bump up the powder charge 0.1 grn (buffer for making pf) and shorten the OAL to about 1.115 (more buffer for plunk and spin test).

I'm new to loading coated lead (or lead for that matter).

Just wondering if everyone else is getting smoke? Is it bad? No. Is more than my platted loads? Yes.

Thanks.

Shootem' up! All coated smoke to some degree.

I've been shooting BBI's in 9mm minor and .40 major with Solo 1000 and Clays. A little smoke, but during match conditions I dont even notice it. When I do stand and shoot drills in practice the smoke is more noticeable.