Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultimate ESP gun

1911vm

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking, a worked over Browning High Power would be a great ESP gun.

I don't have first hand experience with the BHP, but from what fans of the gun have posted, it isn't very forgiving on the reloads. I suppose it isn't anything that can't be overcome with enough practice.

My Trojan 40 loaded to minor (about 134) is a great ESP gun. It has a Dawson mag well, good sights, a good trigger, and my minor 200 grain 40 load feels lighter than my 124 9mm load (130).

I have been tempted to buy a SP01 and do some Cajun magic to it but just cannot see how it is better than my 9mm 1911 or 40 cal Trojan.

This is what I found in the CZ forum. Here BE forum

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but this is my understanding of the IDPA rules. I shoot an SP-01 in IDPA as well, and this is what my research has led me to conclude.

The SP-01 will qualify in SSP normally (fits in the box, makes weight, etc)... In that classification, you will have to shoot with the hammer down at the LAMR command. Full length metal dust cover is not an issue in SSP. Now, if you wanted to be cocked and locked at the LAMR command (or more specifically, have the choice to), this will put you in ESP. Normally, a full length dust cover is not allowed in ESP, but since your SP-01 qualifies in SSP, you can use the SSP into ESP rule and thus, you are OK.

8.2.2.1.7. All firearms legal in SSP are legal for use in ESP. This provision may be used for firearms that violate an ESP rule (for example, a firearm with a steel dust cover or rail over 3.25) to still be used in ESP, provided the firearm meets all SSP requirements.

Now, in your situation, you want to add a magwell (and shoot SA) which automatically puts you into ESP based on your modifications. A magwel is not a legal modification in SSP (see below), and thus, you cannot use the SSP to ESP rule. So in short, I don't believe you can shoot your SP-01 with a magwell in ESP.

8.2.1.4. SSP Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list): 8.2.1.4.1. Externally visible modifications other than those listed in the Permitted Modifications section. 8.2.1.4.2. Aftermarket or visibly modified magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, and hammers. 8.2.1.4.3. Robar-style grip reduction. 8.2.1.4.4. Add-on magazine well opening.

Edited by 1911vm

I shot one of my hi powers in a few matches but back then my gun wasn't legal because they didn't allow the removal of the mag safety back then.

Ran a 1911 for a number of years then switched to an SV fitted with 9mm and 45 barrels, makes for a good ESP and CDP setup.

SVI.jpg

Some years later I built a standard length/wide dust cover commander top end 2011 that I really like too.

sticom.jpg

Division capacity for ESP is 10+ 1.

If you have 10 round mags.......if all you have is 9 round mags then you can't load to 10+1. Not sure giving up 3 rounds on some stages is worth the perceived advantage to 10 in the gun.

Unless you are making up shots as a regular thing the 9 round mags can be a benefit depending on a match. You are not giving up rounds. Most stages are less then 18 rounds. You are Just reloading at a different target.

Just like anything else, MDs are going to design stages to favor what they shoot. And I've seen a number of stages that leave SSP/ESP shooters at slide lock when they finish the stage. Normally that's in conjunction with a downloaded start, but it seems to be a common thing with my club.

Of course the same is true when someone shoots CDP/REV/CCP. Seems the stage design seems to favor that division.

Usually, more is better.

Edited by v1911

Maybe I'm overlooking it, but where does it state anything about magwells and FLDCs not being used together in ESP?

Finally got an official Response . Spoke to Robert R. Yesterday. Sp01 with magwell is illegal.

I don't think you're giving up a lot by not having a magwell on an SP01. I shoot an SP01 Shadow in both games. I was running it ESP as well as SSP. I run it the same as my production set up and started hammer down for familiarity sake. If you HAVE to have a single action start, I wouldnt' recommend a Shadow because the safeties are goofy and a lot of folks (myself included) can't ride them quite like 1911 safeties.

if you NEED a single action start, then I'd stick with a 1911 or 2011. If you primarily shoot production, then just rock your SP01 shadow with DA starts.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't build up a gun to get into the sport if you've got one that works. Got a 1911? Sweet, get a magwell, basepad and sights and let it rip. I wouldn't buy a Shadow specifically for IDPA ESP, and I like CZ's a lot.

At the end of the day, it matters to an extent what gun you're shooting, but that bar is set pretty low.

Edited by ArrDave

• 2 weeks later...

Piggybacking on this post, if the sp01 is legal under the rule that is it legal under ssp then the cz comp hammer and 85 trigger with over travel screw would be fine, as they would legal in ssp. But the race hammers would not be as they are not avail on cz stock guns, and therefore not legal on an sp01 in esp?

I think that the ultimate ESP gun would be a .45 2011 in the Eagle style with legal magwell and mags loaded to 10rds. Load ammo to 200-230gr bullets to 130PF or so and they feel like mouse farts. Big holes are easy to see if in doubt about a shot. Steel falls with the most marginal of hits. Huge hole to hit on reloads. Great trigger of the 19/2011 guns. Definitely not the cheapest way to go, but I think it would be hard to beat it.

An argument could also me made for catching more lines with the bigger bullets. Some may scoff at this thought, but I had success with it in 3D archery and I'm not the only one.

So I could not afford what I want which would be 2011 9mm several good builder's but not in my budget. So I decided to add a few options from Dawson P for my 1911 9mm. Can't wait to get back. will post pictures. Thanks to all for your input.