Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Joy Of A Glock 17

Bear1142

The other day at the range I brought out my Glock 17. I hadn't shot it in about a year. I had forgotten how nice it felt. It shot soft, tracked fast, was accurate enough for 25 yard head shots, and felt good in my hands. Some guns make you work to shoot them well and others just seem to run by themselves. It was nice to get reacquainted with my 17.

Erik

Eric, I swear sometimes my 17 shoots itself and does all the work and I'm just along for the ride. I love that feeling. Now if I could just figure out how to make that happen every stage.

What's your plans for next week? You staying at my place. Your more than welcome. Give me a call or shoot me an email.

Jason

I've been shooting a CZ for a few month, but started thinking of going back to G35 a few weeks ago. I finally did and had pretty much the same feeling you guys are talking about. The G35 is the only Glock I've ever owned, and I wander what is so different about G17. I load my 40SW ammo to minor PF for production so I don't have much of recoil either, but I am having this weird thought lately of getting myself a G22 to see if my transaction times will shorten. Is this a reasonable assumption or is there something else why some shooters prefer standard length over G34/G35?

but I am having this weird thought lately of getting myself a G22 to see if my transaction times will shorten. Is this a reasonable assumption or is there something else why some shooters prefer standard length over G34/G35?

dv8,

Some shooters like the shorter setup because it tracks a little faster and makes the gun a little snappier. It's that exact same reason some shooters like the 5", 1911 setups as opposed to the 6" longslides.

Jason,

Sent you a PM.

Erik

Last fall after shooting a 17 a little, I decided to give up my 34 for this season and give a 17 a try. I liked the way the 17 felt so much quicker, and seemed to balance better. To me it feels more solid than my 34s

However, on the first outting of the new 17, a new improved lightened Bill Nesbitt decided to give me a few lessons on the finer points of 17 shooting. There were 5 stages with 7 strings (classifier had 3 strings) so I guess he gave me 7 lessons to be precise.

The G17 was Gaston's labor of love. He designed everything ideal for that size slide and 9mm ammo.

Every Glock model since has been just a business decision, a compromise. Which means they're still better than 95% of what's out there. The G35 & G20 are great.

I got my Glock 17 in CA back in 1988. I liked the light weight, reliability, and accuracy. BUT, it had looks that only a mother could love (compared to my M1911A1s).

In the 17 ensuing years, it has become my favorite pistol. It even looks handsome now. It is my constant companion, and I carry it sorta fully loaded (-2) Mexican, and it is totally concealed year-round.

I keep the piece 100% safe even though the chamber is loaded and the trigger is NOT blocked. One can pull the trigger on my CCW G17, and it will not fire. It is a simple alteration. I am thinking about getting my idea patented.

Have I had any problems with my G17? Yes, I have had the factory front sight fall off twice (before I went to Trijicons), the slide stop spring break twice, the connector spring break once, and, most recently, the slide cracked completely through on the right side at the front of the ejection port.

My carry load is the excellent Speer +p+ 115-gr GDHP. MV is 1350 FPS.

Long Live the G17! :D

I really don't know how many rounds have been fired in mine. I went through 2 or 3 cases of 115 grain hollow points at first, so that is around 10,000. Then I discovered 147 bunny fart loads. :P Since around 1998 my wife and I together have used around 20 or 30 thousand bullets a year. B) I would guess more than 50,000 have gone through my Glock.

It still has all original parts except the sights and the connector. ;) The trigger is pretty smooth too. :P

Bill Nesbitt

Just talked my dad into getting a 17. :D

I've been shooting my 34 for a year now and I'm interested to see how it will compare to the 17.

Did up the trigger for him, and he'll be all set to go this weekend! I think I have another shooter hooked on USPSA. :)