Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need training help Northern Virginia

bomgrene

Ok, I'm a fairly new shooter (less than 1 year) and let me just say that I really suck. I've read the books (including brian's), taken group classes and it just is not working. I've found that for most  things, I learn best from one on one instruction. It would also help to have someone critique my shooting so that I can focus on the problem areas. Does anyone know of a good teacher in the Northern Virginia area? Thanks!

Sure Duane.

1.  I've got a flinch that I just can't seem to get rid of. I've tried the dummy rounds in the magazine, visualization, dime on the front sight, dry firing like a maniac, etc. My dry firing has really helped technique and my trigger pull is much smoother than when I started. The flinch still rears it ugly head most of the time.

2. My accuracy is awful. So far I can't shoot consistent groups. Probably due to problem #1.

3. Not very important compared to the first two, but I am very slow. (I realize as I get more accurate and more confident, this will prbably improve)

So far I've been working solo on my shooting and that's why I think I might need some coaching in person. If you have any ideas, I'll certainly try them. Thanks.

Eric Bomgren

Regarding #1...

First off..increase your ear protection.  Use plugs and muffs.

Second...drill it into your head that the big, loud explotion going off a few feet in front of your face isn't going to hurt in any way (not as easy as it sounds).

Third...never think "now".  Allow the gun to completely suprise you when it goes off.  Just slowly press the trigger to the rear...don't "know" when it will fire.  Be suprised.

Fourth...don't use a target.  Fire into the berm.  Don't try to hit anything at all.  Look at the front sight.

Fifth...Get a razor sharp focus of that front sight.  You want to be able to watch it lift out of the notch.

Sixth...fire ten, then dry-fire ten.  Repeat.  Actually, start with the dry-fire.  Oh...don't rush thru the dry-fire.

Could you use just someone to practice with? Sounds like I've been shooting a little longer than you (my classification percentage is about 56%), but I'm fairly new to the area and could use someone to practice with. If you are interested, drop me an e-mail.

Yes, Phil just bought Shooters Paradise, which is also doing a class for new IPSC/IDPA shooters starting in Feb. I don't think Phil will be teaching though.

What's the deal with Gilberts? I was up visiting relatives last year, and wanted to shoot for an hour or so. They wanted me to "join the range" for about $20, and then charge me for range time. I walked out and have never returned. It struck me as bad business, but maybe I'm missing something. Is this a really great range and their beating shooters away with sticks, or what?

bomgrene, it'll take time. I had a serious flinching problem. I tried everything. Nothing helped. I didn't know what to do. It just went away. It takes time and [insert Chris Farley as motivational speaker voice] "a positive mental attitude". Just trust that you will overcome the flinch. If you focus on the flinching too much, it will never go away. Take small steps and don't worry and be patient. It took me about a year.

bomgrene,

I have a few questions.

(1) You say you did a lot of dry fire. How much? What was the ratio with live fire? 50 dry/50 live? 75/25? 90/10?

(2) When you do the coin/front sight drill, does the coin fall off?

(3) Where to the rounds you flinch go? Low/left? High/right?

(4) What gun/caliber are you shooting?

(5) What stance do you use - Weaver, Isosceles, Modern Isosceles?

(6) Have you ever had instruction in good trigger control?

(7) When you fire the shot, do your eyes stay open or do you blink? Hint: you may be doing this and not realize it. Pay attention.

(1) I spend about 1 hour per day dry firing and about 2 hours a week at the range. I "shoot" a lot more when dry firing than I do at the range, so the ratio is at least 80/20, probably closer to 90/10.

(2) My personal best for the coin is 18 DA trigger pulls. On average, I can get the coin to stay put for about 15 DA trigger pulls before it falls off.

(3) The rounds used to go low right, but over the last month they have been consistently low (6 o'clock)

(4) Sig P226 .40 S&W & P228 9mm

(5) Modern Isosceles

(6) A little. Things like constant pressure, only pull the trigger with the index finger.  Do not squeeze the entire hand.

(7) Only very recently have I been able to stop myself from blinking. I have to pay very close attention to my eyes, but when I do, I am rewarded by seeing the front sight lift (rarely) or the muzzle blast (I see this much more frequently). I am trying to train my eyes to pay attention to the front sight and disregard the muzzle blast.

bomgrene,

Sounds to me like your focus is in the wrong area in the split second that the gun actually fires.  (maybe the guys can pick up on some other things from your post)

The simple way to categorize it would be to say that you might not be following thru.

We could break that down a bit further...in that your focus might not be in the proper place while the bullet is traveling down the barrel.

I think what you could be doing is switching your focus at the split second the shot breaks...your are loosing the sights to look to see where the shoot went.

Try to forget the target.  It doesn't matter.  Focus on reading the gun (sights).

If you can follow thru, you can read the sights...you can call the shot.  You won't have to look for holes in the target.  You will know where the hole will be in the target.

What to do about it???

Try firing into the berm...no target.

Try putting a black shirt over the target...so you can't see the holes.

Try lining you sights up, closing yuor eyes, open them to confirm they are still aligned (adjust and repeat until they are lined up), then break the shot with your eyes closed.  Be open to all the feedback that you can get.

I'll bet you might be able to get a better group with eyes closed than with eyes open.  (Of course, take all the safety measures that you can...you don't want to shoot the neighbors dog by mistake.)

Agree that Gilberts has many drawbacks plus Phil's place costs less and supports USPSA/IPSC. Typical response at Gilberts is "USP what?? You mean kinda like PPC?" I'd also watch your lead levels if you shoot much at Gilberts.

• 3 weeks later...

Eric,

There are several people you can get with for 1 on 1 training. I just recently moved from N. VA. but I know a lot a good people up there. You can try Phil Strader at Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge. He's a wonderful shooter and an excellent teacher. Try to look up Jeff Hoge, he was the old section coordinator, but he teaches beginner IPSC classes at Shooters Paradise. Try to get to the IPSC matches at the NRA shooting range off Rt. 66 in Fairfax. Most of the local shooters will be there and they will be more than willing to help you out. You can also check with the Rangemaster, Greg Wodack. He is another local Grandmaster that might be able to point you in the right direction. Another excellent teacher is John Soma. He helps instruct at the NRA range and can be contacted through Greg.

Erik

(Edited by Bear1142 at 8:01 am on Feb. 21, 2003)

One thing you may try, and you'll need a buddy to help, is for you to hold the gun concentrating only on the sights 100%, and then have your buddy slowly pull the trigger for you.  See what the gun does.  Watch the front sight lift out of recoil and return.

If you are pulling your shots low, it sounds a lot like you are over anticipating the recoil (before the shot breaks).  Again, with a buddy, go to the range and have him load your gun with an unknown number of live rounds, and one dummy round.  Shoot into the berm, slowly, with your attention on pulling the trigger smoothly, straight back, in one continuous motion.  When you get to the dummy round, notice what your gun does.  Many of us anticipate recoil (different from flinch) to one degree or another, your's might be a bit exaggerated.

Definately double plug (ear plugs + muffs).  I used this with myself and my wife when she learned to shoot.  And she learned mostly indoors with a Glock 23C (which is borderline obnoxious with the two barrel ports indoors).

Work on your relaxation when shooting and in dry fire.  This is tough, especially with a controlled explosion happening at arms length from your face.  Try maybe a releasing the shot while you are exhaling slowly.

Don't worry about speed right now.  It will come.  If you can't release an accurate shot slow fire, it will only become exaggerated during rapid fire.  Many of us started where you are, don't get hung up on it.  I had a lot of the same problem you describe when I started.

Most important, have fun.  If you want to get all up tight, take up golf.

Just my $.02

• 2 weeks later...

I can relate to the flinching prob! You might try buying a 22 caliber pistol. Something like a ruger mark II. These guns are extremely accurate. Buy one with a bull barrel, there is almost no recoil. this will help to see excatly what you are doing when the gun goes off. The shooting consistently low might not all be you. Have you had the lbs checked on the trigger pull of your guns? Some guns have heavy trigger pull from the factory for liability reasons. I have a Colt 45 that I kept shooting to the left with. I had a trigger job done on it and it is like a new gun.

Bomgrene,

Phil Strader here.  I would be happy to work with you.  The best place to do this is at the local club matches in the area.  Please sign up for the Quantico match this Sunday in the AM.  I'll squad with you and give you some advice.  I may be able to stay a little while after the match, as well.  If this is not possible, then just let me know what your schedule looks like.  I will be offering more intensive classes, if you take well to my 1-on-1 help.  Feel free to contact me at gmsthr@aol.com

Later

• 3 weeks later...

Very Styling move there Phil......it's one of the reasons I enjoy IPSC so much around here....most of the Big Guys I know are very happy & willing to help out someone who is just starting out....best thing this guy can do is get out shooting and stay shooting.......

Take Care....see you around...

Joe

• 1 month later...

dude...here's some helpful info

Upcoming local matches:

Sunday, May 25 - NMPS Shenendoah - e mailto:nmpsmatchs@hotmail.com (BJ

Norris)

Sunday, June 1 - Fredericksburg - e mailto:BAD320@aol.com (Tino

DiMattina)

Sunday, June 8 - NVPS-Quantico - e mailto:dripsc@patriot.net (DSMF

Dave)

Sunday, June 15 - MPSA Thurmont - e mailto:matchadmin@mpsa.net (Bill

Allred)

Sunday, June 22 - NMPS Shenendoah - e mailto:nmpsmatchs@hotmail.com (BJ

Norris)

Saturday, June 14 - York The Ikes - e mailto:hctkst@nfdc.net (Howard

Thompson)

Sunday, July 6 - MPSA IPSC Practice at Dug hill - e

mailto:matchadmin@mpsa.net (Bill Allred)

Sunday, August 31 - MPSA IPSC Practice at Dug hill - e

mailto:matchadmin@mpsa.net (Bill Allred)

Here is a good class.

IPSC

New Shooter Class

Purpose: This class will prepare you for competition in IPSC and IDPA matches.

Benefits: Participants will improve their skills with a handgun in the areas of safety, hit probability, and speed. They will learn about action shooting sports and meet people with similar interests.

Format: 40% classroom, 60% range. Small classes with experienced instructors.

Location and time: Class meets every Tuesday night from 7:00 PM till 9:30 PM Starting again in September at Shooters Paradise.

More Information or to

Note: Class limited to 16 persons. Participants must have a pistol or revolver whose power is equal to or greater than 9mm or 38spl., but equal to or less than 45 ACP or 45 Colt. They must also have fired at least 100 rounds through that gun in the past month and be able to consistently hit a sheet of paper at 5 yards. Eye and ear protection are mandatory.

You could check this site. www.shooters-paradise.com

Jeff is an exellent instructor.

Mark

bomgrene,

Especially with Phil coming in, and all these great posts, it sounds like you're on the right road! From what I've gleaned from this thread, two things to really work on - Do the "have your buddy pull the trigger while you are holding and aiming the gun" trick. And be sure to have your finger on the trigger (and his on top of yours) so you can feel the pressure building with your finger. And second, don't aim at anything in particular. Just look right at the front sight until the gun fires. This is all you need to see.

be