Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G 26 Giving me fits with reloads..

jrguar

I started this in the SIG forum... actually meant to post it here ...

I recently got a G26 G4 and P250 SC. I figured I'd shoot some ammo see what feels right and start loading my own. (So Far so Good right) .

Settled on 124's FMJ's Loaded up a few hundred under 4.1 of AA2 at 1.150 with federal small pistol primers.

Using a Dillon 550 B with a Lee U sizing die and a Lee Factory Crimp die.

I chamber check and plunk check all the ammo... no issues

Day at the range,

Shooting the P250SC no issues.. runs like a champ throws brass about 5 feet from my feet and is reasonable accurate...

g 26 ... My better 1/2 starts shooting and gets numerous FTF's...double feeds.. stove pipes you name it..

I tell her to hold the gun tighter and eliminate about 1/2 of the issues..

I load up a couple mags and same thing.. can't get through a full mag without some type of stoppage..the brass barely makes it out of the gun.. and typically lands right at my feet...

If this were one of my match guns I'd probably lighten the recoil spring..

I loaded some lighter loads (3.8 of AA#2) and they run great in the Sig.. but choke in the G 26

Are these guns really this finicky ?

And for what it is worth.. the G 26 handles factory ammo with no issues...

More powder in the case ?? Slower Powder ??? Get another Sig ???

Inquiring minds want to know ..

TIA

Joe

More powder you ammo is under powered. Classic signs being the brass barely falling out of the gun. Glocks are not finicky but its should like your ammo is so weak that its on the bottom end of the spectrum required to run the little 26. The 26 is designed as a self defense pisto designed to run on full power defense ammo. Itsl not designed as a match gun designed to digest powder puff loads.
pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have a Gen 4 G17 and a Gen 3 G26. The G17 will eat just about anything but the G26 is fussy. To get it into slidelock I have to load about a grain more per round of Titegroup. This is a hot load.

About 2 weeks ago I started storing the gun with the side locked back I hope this will help. I have tried a bunch of different loads, BTW.

I run 124 gr Bayous and 125 gr Black and Blue coated bullets on top of 4.2 grains of TiteGroup at 1.100" and 1.130" They clock about 1,180fps out of a G17. It will cycle a G26 eays.

Gee, when I saw the title of this thread, I was going to suggest using a G19 magazine, but it seems you have a different reloading issue. 130 PF loads out of a Shadow (3.8 Titegroup and a Berry's 124 flat point) run fine in my G26/19/17 pistols, but the 34 needs more powder, especially shot one hand.

Anyone think I should move to a slower powder like AA5 or is the barrel just too short to take advantage ???

It will work with any powder suitable for the 9mm. I would not worry about barrel length and burn rates for a pistol like this.

Pat

I suspect that your reloads are underpowered or right on the edge of using too fast of a powder in a modern auto loading pistol. Most reloading books talk about this in the forward. The G26 is a small pistol and this exacerbates the issue. I also suspect that your wife is limp wrist-ing the gun and you are not and as such it works worse for her. Try more powder or slower powder or change out the springs in the g26.

I'm going to agree with the others. Hell, consider this chrono data I gathered on April 16:

124 PD FMJ WST 4.00gr Win primer 1.135 1035.60 128.40 4.25" M&P

124 PD FMJ WST 4.00gr Win primer 1.135 1088.46 134.90 5" M&P w/ Apex Semi Drop-in

See the power factor drop? What makes 134 pf in my gun only makes 128 in my girl's gun with a barrel just 3/4" shorter.

Depending on burn rate, you lose more velocity than some people think - and the G26 has a much shorter barrel than 4.25"... so the difference would be greater. Most loads posted online and listed in manuals are for 4-5" barrels. If you started at the minimum and feed it to a gun with a very short barrel and stiff recoil spring? Problems cropped up.

What I'd advise, is to pull data for a nice safe load from a trusted book and shoot for a bit over the middle of the range. Work up in power however you might need in order to feel safe. But for example whatever the load data for Win 231 shows (lets say it's 3.5-4.2gr - which I'm making up!) you'll probably find a 4.0gr load runs the G26 just fine.

Consider going to a lighter bullet as well! More slide speed from a 115gr could help... But mainly you cannot expect light loads for a longslide gun to cycle a subcompact - especially when fired by someone with relatively low arm/grip strength. It's simply going to need hotter ammo. Right now you don't know whether you're running 120pf or 135pf - your load needs some time over a chrono.

Edited by MemphisMechanic