Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Design your dream open pistol

Rudukai13

I'm curious to know what everyone would want to build for themselves if they had the opportunity to build, entirely from scratch, their own "ideal" open pistol and for what discipline - With money being no obstacle.

If you already have built what you consider your ideal blaster, please post a picture and talk about the components!

For me, I'm really interested in the idea of creating an open build without a comp. I'd base the entire pistol around a Scheumann Tribrid 5" barrel in .38S/SC, tuned to run factory box ammo. A full length slide and dust cover, with a butler cut for aesthetics. Metal grip module, frame-mounted RTS2 (or maybe Deltapoint Pro). Keep the muzzle short, while still achieving the compensation effect with the Tribrid barrel and gasses from the .38. I'd use it for steel matches, bowling pins, and all-around range fun.

I'm not a serious competitor, and I know this setup wouldn't be optimal for competition, but I'm comfortable with that.

So, what would you build?

Hi-Power Jack, can you talk a little bit about the features you particularly like, any mods you've done from the box-stock setup, and just what about it makes it your ideal setup? Is there anything you can see yourself changing about it in the future?

When the Scheumann barrel first came out I remember seeing guys at the Nationals trying them out with out the compensator around the mid 1990s by memory. I do not believe they were even made for a comp at that time. It seems like it was before the red dot started however I could be wrong on that.

Hello: If that is what you want and you think it will work for you get it built. 9mm would be my choice over factory 38SC for cost reasons. As for my open 9mm it is almost perfect right now. Just a little more weight out of the front and some hard chrome and it will be done. Till I build the next one. Thanks, Eric

Hi-Power Jack, can you talk a little bit about the features you particularly like

I love that it can hold 30 rounds, has a comp, weighs about 42 ounces (softens recoil),

and has a huge magwell.

I've lightened the slide on one of my two TruBors, and don't see any difference between

them ... :surprise:

Had a trigger job on one - don't see the difference ... :surprise:

Added a slide racker to both - LOVE 'em.

Had the grip made slightly smaller and the magwell slightly

smoothed/expanded.

Shoots MUCH better than I can. :cheers:

I just ordered it. SVI 9mm major IMM gun. Titanium comp, tri topped slide, steel grip, stainless gun, island barrel with two ports RTS2 sight.

This was in my mind the ultimate open gun.

Did you copy my order? :)

I do love mine.

Yes... there are alot of us awating those dots :-) but I will be getting one of the matching titanium comps (to go with the titanium framed open gun I am finishing up) while I wait on the dot.

Edited by caspian guy

I know the ideas I wrote in my initial post are fairly irregular when talking about a gun for competition, but my ideal "dream" pistol doesn't so much come from a desire to dominate in competition, but more to create a multi-purpose range toy that can be used to compete and is also just something unique, even among the incredible works of art that are Open division pistols :cheers:

This concept is pretty much what got me into USPSA shooting. I wanted to build something exactly how I wanted it. Turned out like this.

2011%20and%20knife.png

I want one of your slides soooo bad!!

What is that dot? Please tell me more

Hi-Power Jack, can you talk a little bit about the features you particularly like

I love that it can hold 30 rounds, has a comp, weighs about 42 ounces (softens recoil),

and has a huge magwell.

I've lightened the slide on one of my two TruBors, and don't see any difference between

them ... :surprise:

Had a trigger job on one - don't see the difference ... :surprise:

Added a slide racker to both - LOVE 'em.

Had the grip made slightly smaller and the magwell slightly

smoothed/expanded.

Shoots MUCH better than I can. :cheers:

I'm at the same point. I've left my Trubor largely stock. Added a racker and a trigger job (had to change safeties) and replaced the scope mount when it broke, nothing else. No slide lightening, no porpoise holes, even running the factory grip, no shaping or undercuts.

https://youtu.be/-Scrzs5sEtU