Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

going to start shooting single stack

bigdaddyZ

Limited "C" class shooter wanting to shoot single stack or limited 10. bought a STI Spartan off a friend. Needing opinions on holster and mag pouches. thanks in advance

Edited by bigdaddyZ

I'll second the Wilson ETMs. Much better than anything else, IMO. Mine have feed 40,000 rounds and still have all the original parts. I've disassembled and cleaned them twice. I certainly cannot say the same about the 47s or the Tripp Cobras, but it may be that my pistol doesn't like them.

For L10, the 10-round 47s do not work for me because they are very difficult to seat with the slide closed. After experimenting I found that changing the Wilson convex follower out for the Tripp Hybrid follower did the trick. https://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html you can seat the mag when the slide is closed without slamming it home. Use the Wilson spring or you will only get 9 rounds in. I've tried the CM 10-round mags and they work: however, I prefer the modified Wilson 47s.

if you are starting from scratch,you might consider mag pouches that can be oriented bullets-out. that can save quite a bit of space on the belt. I prefer that setup for production, but not quite enough to replace all my existing SS gear.

What magwell you use may affect your choice of magazines. I like the easy cleaning of the tripp cobra mags, and with a smaller magwell the stock basepads are great. I don't much care for the skinny basepads that come on the wilson 47d and CMC powermags. My only complaint about the tripp mags is the spring seems to hang up a little sometimes making it feel like they are harder to seat than they should be. If I force the bullets down in the mag past that point, then they are easy to seat again. I only have 2-3 mags out of 6 that exhibit this problem. Seems to be the shape of the plastic follower.

I've never had any issues with the CMC powermags, in either 8 or 10 round, and dawson sells basepads for the 8-rounders that make them work great with big magwells like the dawson ICE.

I have a production rig set up with ghost pouches facing out... When setting up a single stack belt I wanted it to be as similar as possible. Turns out ghost makes some relatively cheap spacers that adapt their pouches to take single stack. So now I've got my SS rig set up exactly like my production. It's a good system since part of the season I'm shooting SS and then production, doesn't require a lot of mental retooling to get rolling either way. I think the ghost pouches with the spacers are pretty decent, they retain the mag well and are easy to retrieve from..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk