Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me Out of a mark 7 (or into one)

]I've been trying to sell mine as well. You sell locally?

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Kinda. Found a dealer on Virginia Gun Trader that buys and resells used presses. He drove two hours this morning to come pick them up. Decent guy to boot.

Both were exceptionally clean - I deprime and wet process my brass, so these had never seen a dirty case.

I got a fair price. He'll be able to make some money as well and somebody is going to get a helluva deal on two presses that have been tweaked and run like tops. Good for everyone all around!

Also cleared up some much needed space on the bench for the Mark 7!

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had mine loading for the first time today. It went well. It's really nice not pulling the handle. It's nice to watch everything working! I am having the tablet resetting issues. I will fix the case feeder this week sometime.

I also have a call into Mark 7. I run 9mm. I had a couple of 380 cases sneak in. They made it thru the powder drop then flung out. The seater die crushed the hell outta them. I started playing around with the digital clutch. It does not seem to be working... I had it set at "0" the entire time. It's just not working. We will see what they say. The guy on the phone told me I must not have my press set up correctly... Yeah right! I was actually extreamly let down that someone would default to that! I have thousands of rounds thru it before this drive..... I also slipped in a case on the shell plate...just like the YouTube demo...it just crushed the case and moved on. Something is not right.

I will let everyone know how it works out.

Matt

I asked and they told me it is no longer included(now $200). They said it is reflected in the new lower price. I told them they should state that as I thought it was included. It shows in the pic and video.

Edited by echotango

seriously $200 for the low primer sensor? It's a great machine and seems to justify its premium price but the low primer sensor is probably the one sensor you really need on the thing. Surely taping into the dillon sensor or adding a simple switch connected to the existing arm and activating that option in software is not a $200 exercise?

Had mine loading for the first time today. It went well. It's really nice not pulling the handle. It's nice to watch everything working! I am having the tablet resetting issues. I will fix the case feeder this week sometime.

I also have a call into Mark 7. I run 9mm. I had a couple of 380 cases sneak in. They made it thru the powder drop then flung out. The seater die crushed the hell outta them. I started playing around with the digital clutch. It does not seem to be working... I had it set at "0" the entire time. It's just not working. We will see what they say. The guy on the phone told me I must not have my press set up correctly... Yeah right! I was actually extreamly let down that someone would default to that! I have thousands of rounds thru it before this drive..... I also slipped in a case on the shell plate...just like the YouTube demo...it just crushed the case and moved on. Something is not right.

I will let everyone know how it works out.

Matt

I found it effective to modify my brass QC process for the Mark7 to reduce failures. Yes it takes time but IMHO is far less aggravating than fixing constant stoppages.

Sort mixed caliber range pickup brass with shell plate (I get all kinds of brass, not just match brass)

Magnet check for steel and coated steel cases

Clean (I wet clean /no pins/force dry)

Pour into 100 round 40S&W MTM case then flip the few headstamp up cases to headstamp down

Cull non-9mm brass (380, 38 super/super comp, etc.). It's easy to look at the case mouths from all 4 sides and pick out the 380's. With a good eye I can even catch an occasional 918 Makarov.

Cull damaged or out-of-round case mouths - not worth it

For 9 Minor I don't cull stepped brass or any headstamps; process is working just fine.

Cull case obstructions/Berdan primer/whatever

Pour cases hand-to-hand listening for the tinny sound of split cases; remove.

I pre-process QC'd cases (decap/size/swage, currently U-die re-size but may reconsider this). This further reduces the number of failures in the loading cycle.

FYI my clutch has always run just fine and Clutch = 0 will do serious damage to a catywompus case. I try to keep the clutch level as low as possible to minimize wear/tear. Separating preprocessing and load stages helps with this. If you have to run the clutch high double check your swaging station setup.

Edited by Beastly

Sorry, guys, all that does not sound all that impressive.

I am running my own drive, loosely based on PW, with my own electronics, and it is free from all that problem stuff. I set any speed up to over 2000 (but I prefer to run it slower, 1200 feels about right), I can set my electronic clutch as sensitive as I want, so it does not crush the cases (it stops rather gently), and I also sense low primer, out of bullets and low powder conditions - all that is so darn trivial. I decided not to worry about out of brass sensor, but I can add it very easily too.

I have separate, individual controls for forward and reverse speed too.

So I am truly not sure what you get for that $2600? A cheap tablet? Seriously. $214 for the low primer sensor? You've got to be kidding... it really cost just a few bucks. It is just a cheap microswitch with a piece of wire.

Edited by Foxbat

imho if you run digital clutch you got something set wrong, or might need a tiny dash of one shot lube on brass

I load at 1800rph with swage on my .40 with clutch 0

Anyone want to take a stab at this! I have NO clue what they are saying!

Maybe they do not understand what I am saying..... The digital clutch on mine is not operating correctly.

Matt

I am running my own drive, loosely based on PW, with my own electronics, and it is free from all that problem stuff. I set any speed up to over 2000 (but I prefer to run it slower, 1200 feels about right), I can set my electronic clutch as sensitive as I want, so it does not crush the cases (it stops rather gently), and I also sense low primer, out of bullets and low powder conditions - all that is so darn trivial. I decided not to worry about out of brass sensor, but I can add it very easily too.

So I am truly not sure what you get for that $2600? A cheap tablet? Seriously. $214 for the low primer sensor? You've got to be kidding... it really cost just a few bucks. It is just a cheap microswitch with a piece of wire.

Thanks for all your suggestions! They were so helpful! I guess I can buy one from you then huh?

Matt

Thanks for all your suggestions! They were so helpful! I guess I can buy one from you then huh?

Matt

For starters you could send them your low primer sensor and ask them to modify it right for... ahem... maybe $10?

Don't take me wrong - I do like some things about the Mark 7. But it is a mixed bag.

One thing they (and other makers) should look at is the brace. After I added the brace, connecting the loader to the motor housing, it became noticeably smoother and less prone to any jams. As it is, the whole structure is way too flexible.

Edited by Foxbat

imho if you run digital clutch you got something set wrong, or might need a tiny dash of one shot lube on brass

I load at 1800rph with swage on my .40 with clutch 0

I guess your just missing it.... The mechanics are a small part to the package. Your basically paying for the programming and design of the entire package. Just like CAD design software, CAM programming software, patents, lawyers, things like that. Hell, my Solidworks CAD software was $6500 Mastercam was even more....

The Mark 7 bridges the gap from a manual press to automated without getting into the $30K and higher Ammoload and Camdex stuff

You have to pay to play. Capitalism... How fast do you want to go.....

Matt

Edited by Labanaktis

I would really like to see a optical primer check. Electrical engineering is not my thing. It would at least tell you if your not getting primers if there is a hang up in the mechanical system.

I usually just look up every now and then to see if the primer rod is lowering ... Optical would be nice thou.

Another idea.... When case processing for 9mm.... How about a optics or die that could detect the height difference of 9mm vs 380 ?

Matt

One thing they (and other makers) should look at is the brace. After I added the brace, connecting the loader to the motor housing, it became noticeably smoother and less prone to any jams. As it is, the whole structure is way too flexible.

Can you elaborate on this "brace", please?