Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me Out of a mark 7 (or into one)

Anthony called and spoke with me about the digital clutch.... He mentioned that it is more sensitive at the lower 900 rounds per hour... He said they are working on different firmware for sensitivity.

Well, I tried it at 900 per hour and get the same results. I have emailed Anthony this video.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is. It should not matter that it is connected. User choice. Plus the idea behind the Mark 7 is that you do NOT need to modify a stock Dillon 1050.

I roll with it on while loading. I now take it off for processing.

Matt

Edited by Labanaktis

As far as the clutch, I think you should be able to set it so low that it would stop the empty press from running - then you would have plenty of adjustment range.

Edited by Foxbat

As far as the clutch, I think you should be able to set it so low that it would stop the empty press from running - then you would have plenty of adjustment range.

I actually mentioned that to Anthony when I spoke with him. There is really no reason it should not be that way. In my opinion the clutch set at 0 should have stopped the machine when I stuck a piece of brass in it.

It is. It should not matter that it is connected. User choice. Plus the idea behind the Mark 7 is that you do NOT need to modify a stock Dillon 1050.

I roll with it on while loading. I now take it off for processing.

Matt

I juse this did the same test you did and at 0 with the ratchet it removed it barely dented the brass, with the ratchet attached it crushed it.

So did the clutch kick in when the brass was "barely dented"?

Did you calibrate it each time ?

9mm?

I am running the Pro version... I guess the Pro uses 20% torque and the X uses 12% torque...that might make a difference to?

Matt

Edited by Labanaktis

Yes it stopped the cycle each time, I did not calibrate it each time just once before with an empty shell plate.

40 S&W as I had a few on the bench. They were not in the shell plate just sitting on top of it.

Yes, I'm using the x model.

Edited by Weber

I notice the website says they now ship in 72 hours or less. Hope that isn't because they are cutting corners...

I'm on the fence about buying one, but would be less so if they improved this issue you are discussing....clearly there are kinks to be worked out still....

C

I notice the website says they now ship in 72 hours or less. Hope that isn't because they are cutting corners...

I'm on the fence about buying one, but would be less so if they improved this issue you are discussing....clearly there are kinks to be worked out still....

C

They make them in batches so I'm sure that's why. There are some "kinks" but I am still able to process and load. Sometimes people make more out of it then there is. As long as I can get the clutch to kick out at 0 or somewhere below 5, I would be happier.

Matt

C

I wouldn't hesitate to buy, I'm really happy with the mark 7 the Dillon I really like as well just need to get the kinks worked out of it...

Mark 7 support has been great, Dillon not so much.

It is not clear to me how the ratchet would affect the clutch operation - anyone care to explain?

Watching it you can see where it attempt to stop and back up, the ratch prevents it from moving. It depends where in the stroke the jam occurred, sometimes there is no difference in damage other times there is. You can see how close it is to the lock position and how much play there is.

Maybe I'm off here in left field but..... Doesn't calibrating the machine give the machine a baseline of "0" (for a lack of a better term)? From there the parameters that Mark 7 have programmed in take over? To much load on the machine engages the digital clutch?

The ticket here is calibration... If you calibrate with the ratchet on then take it off, the machine would probably see a measureable difference.... Same thing if you calibrate without any brass on the shell plate, then calibrate with a case at the sizer station.... The clutch will read differently every time hence calibrating with a empty shell plate .

As far as I can tell this is a servo driving machine with a feedback loop. That's why the programming is so important.

It would be nice to have a actual tread for this topic.... I have also mentioned this forum to Anthony...hopefully they can chime in?

Matt

I don't think the ratch has enough resistance on the down stroke to affect the calibration much. Brass on the plate dies for sure, I learned that lesson the hard way.

I work with similar types of motors in my job, they rock back and forth as they start and stop, the module makes decisions based on the feedback the module sees in current. When it stops it doesn't stop on a dime, but rock back and forth as it sees the load change. I believe the clutch varies the setting at which the motor backs off.

It is much more visual on rifle brass since the long case can create more resistance on the stroke and the drive can respond. At low settings the resistance can prevent the full stroke from completing, lack of lube, etc.

Without seeing the schematics and the code it is not possible to say why the clutch does not have enough adjustment range, to me it sounds like a simple oversight. I don't use any computer in my drive, but I have the electronic clutch set very low - some good cases trip it, if I want them to. I do that with the simple potentiometer adjustment, and anything I can do a computer should be able to do better.

C

Not at all. The owners of Mk7 made a huge purchase of build parts to help meet demand and shorten wait times. The demand is significantly more than they anticipated this soon.

C

Not at all. The owners of Mk7 made a huge purchase of build parts to help meet demand and shorten wait times. The demand is significantly more than they anticipated this soon.

Very willing to accept that, certainly. Are the issues noted above -the struggles with clutch settings and case damage - more unfamiliarity with settings or with the instructions?

C

I'm loading 9mm at a clutch setting of 3. However, I can crush brass at 0. I have not seen the "jam sense" really do anything. I will call and ask about that.

Otherwise I am really happy with it.

Edited by echotango