Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me Out of a mark 7 (or into one)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The FFB plates aren't cheap, but they definitely have tighter tolerances. They just feel more substantial.

Follow the instructions on their website though - they are buried on the actual product page and if you purchase from Mk7 or put them in your cart from the summary page you will miss them. I sure did!.

You'll need a 0.015" to 0.020" feeler gauge. They don't get cranked down the same way Dillon's original plate does.

Smooth as butter once set and no slop.

The Level 10 guide rod came in yesterday. Super fast shipping and the machining is excellent. On my death bed yesterday and didn't get a chance to install it, but hopefully tonight.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'm really surprised that on a brand new machine with the price I paid that I need to order addition parts to make it operate properly.

It looks like the corners of the shell plate are out of specs as the black paint or coating is missing now after a few thousand rounds of brass prep.

Just talked with dillon and not really impressed with the level of support. They guy kept telling me that I don't have the pins in place, or my brass is the problem.

He didn't seem to care that the corners of the shell plate look to coming apart as the paint is chipping away, and that it should have came from them properly tightened down.

I guess I will try to snug the plate down and see if that helps, and if not send either the press or the plate back since that was all he was offering me. I was expecting them to offer to send me a new shell plate to try.

You may want to consider the case feed fix plate from www.sprservicesllc.com. I was having a tipping issue and determined that the trouble was starting at the case feed plunger.

Also, make sure everything is set up right at the swage station. If you are loading but not wasging make sure you have the rod either backed off or removed. This caused me some trouble as well.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Just talked with dillon and not really impressed with the level of support. They guy kept telling me that I don't have the pins in place, or my brass is the problem.

He didn't seem to care that the corners of the shell plate look to coming apart as the paint is chipping away, and that it should have came from them properly tightened down.

I guess I will try to snug the plate down and see if that helps, and if not send either the press or the plate back since that was all he was offering me. I was expecting them to offer to send me a new shell plate to try.

Does it happen on all the "holes" or just one. In your pics the slot for the case looks like it was cut too big. Can you wiggle the case loose by hand?

Does it happen on all the "holes" or just one. In your pics the slot for the case looks like it was cut too big. Can you wiggle the case loose by hand?

It's on all stations, some are worse than others.

Typically they are off center at the decapping station I pull it then reinsert it, then they are off center again at the swagging station hopefully I catch it as I'm looking at the other stations. Next it goes to the priming station that I'm not using (brass prep only), I can see that they are off center again, but I can't remove it as that station does not have a pin. When the shell plate advances sometime the brass flys off the shell plate leaving the priming station. If it stays on, it is again off center at the trimming station and when the die comes down it jams on the bottom of the die body. It advances again to an empty station before going to the case mouth expanding die which typically is off center as well. When it leaves there it sometimes jams on the ejector arm instead of ejecting to collector or goes flying across the room as the jam clears.

It is not the same spot on the shell plate, I marked it to check to see.

Yes, I can wiggle a case out of the shell plate.

At first the only problem I was having was the primers not fully being decapped, and it would jam trying to advance to the next station. I have cycled this by hand and using the mark 7 to see if there was possibly an issue but the problem happens on both methods.

I would call back and speak to someone else. they should send you a new shell plate. That should not happen.

I emailed the guy that helped me with placing my order and sent him the pictures for a more visual reference. Hopefully he is more helpful.

Looks like a defective or mislabeled shell plate. I can't get a case out of the slot by hand on mine without ripping the rim off of a case.

I agree. It worked really well besides the decapping issue for about the first 1,000 rounds and ever since then the problem is occurring more and more and I'm having to basically run in like a single stage.

Is the shell plate indexing to a full station or are the tool head pins making the final alignment of the shell plate?

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears to me to be indexing itself, when I cycle it without the pins (or brass) it seems to work the same.

You can look at the video I posted a few pages back and see how it's operating for me.

I tried tightening down the shell plate, and attempted to try it really tight, backed off 1/16, 1/8, and everywhere around that and problems still exist.

Keeping it a little tighter might have helped a bit, but it still seems to have cases off center a bit and jam up on the bottom of the dies.

I'm trying it on brass that has already been decapped so that may be slightly helping prevent the jams.

Something's definitely wrong. That shell plate is not correct. I went through about 15 pieces of brass and 2 decapping pins learning the process. It's now up and running.

Yeah, what's odd is the first 1,000 went pretty smooth with only a hand full of damaged brass. After that issues starting arising with the brass being off center and I notice the chip marks on the shell plate.